Reviews for By Any Other Name
Abracadebra chapter 1 . 10/2/2021
From the Reviewathon

I am constantly surprised by the stories I Did Not Review, because I most certainly read this delightful yarn years ago when I was new to the fandom and gobbling up everything you wrote! (You were one of the first authors whose every word I read because, well, you know perfectly well why!)

You capture the relationship between these two so well, adding a dollop of mischief as Newkirk deliberately baits LeBeau out of sheer boredom! I know people say this a lot, but this scene really DOES play out like a missing scene from an episode, complete with exasperated French hand gestures and lots of eyerolling. The writing really sparkles, with visuals like LeBeau "raising his hands in a gesture of finality" and then sending that spoon whizzing past Newkirk's ear.
Tuttle4077 chapter 1 . 5/10/2021
Newkirk is evil, lol.

Meanwhile the Americans are listening in, wondering if Newkirk and LeBeau are speaking a different language entirely.
Atarah Derekh chapter 1 . 1/25/2015
OK, I normally ignore foreign narration or dialogue, so I feel I'm being ironic when asking this regarding the language I share with our friends across the pond, but...translation, please? I know what shepherd's pie and fish and chips are (exactly what it sounds like, so long as you remember that what they call "chips" we call "fries"), and I've heard of bangers and mash and spotted dick, but I have no idea what they or the other dishes are.
NickTonyK chapter 1 . 11/22/2012
Great treat!
piceamariana chapter 1 . 5/24/2012
Haha! Have to say I side with Newkirk on this one. Never really did like French food.

Speaking of English food, my Mum made a particularly delicious toad in the hole today. No word of a lie! Yum. I suppose that has a direct impact on my opinion now. Once again, Yum!
Snooky chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
Sorry i didn't review this earlier. Yes, this makes me homesick for pub grub! And my grandmothers bird's custard, and trifle, and Yorkshire pudding etc. can't blame Louis for getting mad, however! Newkirk deserved it. Lol
Jennaya chapter 1 . 2/28/2012
You write Newkirk and LeBeau so well, very funny!
Herr Fritz chapter 1 . 9/26/2011
Yes! LeBeau and Newkirk are too wonderful. This is a great story, with plenty of cultural miscommunication!
inhonoredglory chapter 1 . 9/21/2011
Golly wolly, that made me smile. :D I loved it! Those two are such in character and so vibrant and funny. Thanks for writing such a hilarious piece! Hospital silliness can be so therapeutic.
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 9/18/2011
This makes me homesick for some of the pub grub I enjoyed in England back when I spent a term in London as an undergrad! Bangers and mash, toad in the hole, shepherd's pie: all wonderful! And mmmm...treacle tart, served warm and drizzled with cream. Spotted dick too! Sigh. Can't get it on this side of the pond! All the British names for the dishes are so vivid (and so funny when all put together at once!), and they serve as a perfect platform for Newkirk to tease LeBeau under the guise of their ever-evolving national competition. A nice little look at daily camp life and the relationship between these two characters!
konarciq chapter 1 . 9/18/2011
funny...
Crystal Rose of Pollux chapter 1 . 9/15/2011
LOL, this was definitely amusing. It's always fun when LeBeau and Newkirk argue about food!

My favorite line has to be "I hate it when Pierre is bored!" Ha! I can just imagine the look on LeBeau's face!
hogan macgyver chapter 1 . 9/15/2011
ROTFL, I had to take a break before reviewing just because I was laughing so hard! Newkirk is such a troublemaker! I have to admit toad in the hole in really good... *ducks flying frypan* then again so is cassoulet. :D
Marie1964 chapter 1 . 9/15/2011
Being familiar with the first dessert, that scene brought me a good chuckle. A very enjoyable read. :)
Thaddeus MacChuzzlewit chapter 1 . 9/15/2011
That was great! I'm still laughing at it. Those English recipes sure pack a comic wallop when you use them all together.