Reviews for The Song of the Rock
the Grammar Nazi chapter 1 . 9/12/2005
Lovely...there's some very definite irony here in Turgon continually expressing mild pity for Tuor, that he is mortal and the city is not, when in reality...well...

Yes, wickedly ironic. Very nice.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 9/8/2003
I was blown away by the beauty of this - and

most of the time, I don't even like Turgon. This is such beautiful description! You almost made me cry. And it's haunting too - Turgon's utter confidence that Gondolin will last, and we all know what happened to him . . . *Shudder* This is so beautiful.
BurningTyger chapter 1 . 5/11/2003
"But it will stand, comfort yourself with knowing it will stand even after you are but dust." Ironic to the extreme, in that Gondolin would fall within Tuor's lifetime. I love Turgon's condescending, pitying tone here: "after all, you are human." You've characterized him excellently, and the ending makes one smirk a little with the wonderful ironic touch. Has not Tuor been sent to warn Turgon of his hubris? Wonderful fic.
Luciente chapter 1 . 11/18/2002
Lord of the Rings is not my fandom, I merely headed to this story because you yourself recommended it. Lovely and complex from a literary standpoint, but otherwise of little interest to me. However, I felt the need to leave a review after reading all those that have already been left, and because I am a self-confessed pedant. Speaking as a student of literature, I would like to point out that there are no gradations of irony. This story is ironic by the definition of irony, falling under the category of dramatic irony. But something cannot be more, or less, ironic than anything else. Something is either ironic, or it is not. Irony is a horribly misused term, and one that we should be careful with.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 10/11/2002
It's about Gondolin. How can I resist? I enjoyed the tone that you take in this piece. There's self-delusion, delusions of grandeur, that male bragging thing, and so much more. It's even a bit condescending at times. "Can you see how beautifully the song and the rock interweave? Maybe you cannot, after all you are human." Heh heh. I like Turgon, I really do, because he's the King of Gondolin. But it really made the point at the end perfect. After all his boasting and talk of never leaving Gondolin, you leave off the story perfectly: "Now, what were those tidings you have said you bring me?" It's ironic and the perfect way to show exactly why Gondolin did fall. That male pride/kingly pride seems to ruin the Noldor time and time again. Great voice again. And great piece. :
LOTRlover chapter 1 . 10/9/2002
Beautiful; poetic; ironic.
Mouse chapter 1 . 10/8/2002
"But what value has art if made in the hands of a god? Nay, it is the art that we make, lowly creatures of the earth, which you look upon, much truer."

Much truer ... I love this line, so I'm going wait until I think that I fully understand it before I comment. Just know that I'm thinking hard to figure it out.

"Where else may we be remembered but in the beauty we leave behind?"

Fatality must have come as such a shock to the Eldar- the concept of *ending* would be so foreign, so unnatural. Finwe and Miriel, the first of the Eldar to die, left behind Feanor and that's what they're most commonly remembered for.

It seems to be immortality that Turgon speaks most of in here, the immortality of art and song and memory. Why is that, I wonder- because he knows destruction is impending? Because song and memory are all that belong to an Exile?

Such a beautiful story, and it really goes deeper into Turgon's soul than I thought at first read. There's so much meaning behind Gondolin. I'm really going to keep reading this one until I understand it.

And thank you so much for writing it.
Kielle chapter 1 . 10/7/2002
In answer to your LJ question: Yes. I get it. I had a horrible sinking feeling the entire story, and the final line was like a nail through the heart. In other words, Joannie luv, this is wonderful. *applause*
Caporal chapter 1 . 8/25/2002
Ai! Irony! Very heavy on the irony. Poor Turgon, so wrapped up in his city, that he is convinced it can never fall. And fall it will, long before Tuor is but dust. Damn, I wish Turgon had hearkened to said tidings. But he's a pretty nice guy, all in all, even if he is slightly obsessive

~Morg├╗lwen
Altariel chapter 1 . 5/14/2002
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair." Beautiful and tragic.
Philosopher At Large chapter 1 . 5/13/2002
Oh, beautiful - _profoundly_ ironic.

(I have just finished the Fall of Gondolin in Lost Tales - if only Kassandra had had a supportive husband and loyal friends!)

Ele!
Abigail the Jedi chapter 1 . 4/25/2002
I found that highly ironic and somewhat funny at the end. AKA: I loved it!
Jillian Baade chapter 1 . 4/24/2002
HHmm. the pride of the Noldor, the love of the works of their hands, the arrogance that has brought them to flee Valinor, and murder their own kind in the kinslaying is still here, Turgon is unable to understand that although races of people continue, either mortal or immortal, things are subject to destruction, by violence or time itself. Turgon is just a bit patronising towards Tuor, you know, pity you can't understand because you're mortal. Ultimately of course, Tuor's understanding exceeds that of Turgon, as Tuor flees with the people of Gondolin because he understands it is people who continue, people who remember, and people who can make new things to replace those lost.
Shada Bay chapter 1 . 4/24/2002
This was interesting! I like your writing style-talking directly to the reader as if they were part of the plot.

I wish I could visit the Hidden City myself, before it was ravaged. :)
Nemis chapter 1 . 4/24/2002
I was just peacefully reading, enjoying, dreaming away, visiting Gondolin in the confines of my own mind...

And then suddenly you shake me from it with one single sentence...

Talk about chilling endings...