Reviews for Trixie: Treasure
Dr.Roxas4dawin chapter 2 . 12/1/2012
Looks like the new Trixie episode might have used some elements from this story. What's your opinion on that?

Also, this is an excellent "Trixie Returns"-style fanfiction.
SharinganUserX chapter 2 . 12/7/2011
Celestias premonition towards the end - that's a nod towards Discord, right ?

For that matter - will we see a story featuring Discord from you ?

and a side question - if Alicorns and now Twilight are immortal - how did Celestias and Lunas parents die ?
jman377355 chapter 2 . 12/4/2011
Had a happier ending then I thought it would. Overall a very nice story.
NoMane chapter 2 . 11/3/2011
I'd like to say that I really liked your stories. I started at 3 so I didn't get it at first, then I actually went back and read from 1 to the end. Anyway. I'd like to say I was touched and that's something that so rarely happens from fanfiction these days. I thought your uses of creative license, while somewhat questionable, were well done and justified. Maybe I'm just tired and stressed out and sappy, but I really liked your stories.

May your pen hand always be light and may your wrists always be true.
J. March O'Hare chapter 1 . 10/15/2011
"Trixie: Treasure" doesn't seem as strong to me as SaddlesoapOpera's other work, but maybe my perceptions aren't fair. I'll get back to why I think they might not be in a moment.

First, I wanted to repeat that the first seven installments of the "Pony Psychology" series are phenomenal. To me, it seems that the first six, "Fluttershy: Origins" through "Twilight Sparkle: Spellbound," function as chapters of a novella in its own right, while the seventh, "Alicorns: Blame," is a stand-alone midquel that enhances the novella but isn't essential to its structure. The last two installments, "Ditzy Doo: Muffins" and "Trixie: Treasure," don't seem to be part of the same series. They stand apart, but only this last one left me feeling disappointed.

The first six stories (or are they chapters of one story?) make up one hard act to follow, the seventh is IMMENSELY satisfying in what it reveals about Luna and Celestia, and the eighth is a very rousing stand-alone spy story that doesn't much involve the Mane Cast at all. And the Mane Cast, oddly enough, is what left me cold about "Trixie: Treasure."

I said I'd come back to this, but this is where my perceptions might be unfair: the two-part Season 2 opener of "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" shows the Mane Six functioning at diminished capacity through much of its length. So do the first six installments of "Pony Psychology," but that was all right because not only could SaddlesoapOpera not have known what the Season 2 opener was going to be about, but also, those first six installments explained so much and depicted the characters so beautifully, I didn't mind a bit.

However, by the time Trixie had five of the Mane Six in a compromised state AGAIN, I started becoming tired of it.

Particularly strange was my emotional reaction to Fluttershy. I found myself literally becoming sick and tired of her. Not only was she under the spell of the stolen Regalia, but clearly she still wasn't hitting on all eight cylinders, even for her. By the time she was huddled in a corner, rocking and talking to her dead mother, I was thinking, Please! Stop abusing this sweet little angel! Just let her go back to being more-or-less sane!

"More-or-less sane" is about as good as it ever gets for her, but it's better than being a full-blown basket case. It's odd: while watching the animated series, my perception of Fluttershy is colored by her presence, visual and aural, which is nothing short of stunningly beautiful and heartbreakingly adorable. She's absolutely my favorite of the Mane Cast. In literature, however, she inherently suffers from the reader being unable to see her eyes or hear her voice. Her fragility can become tiresome in print. She's never been all that tightly-wrapped, but having her struggle with yet another psychotic break while under the spell of Celestia's enchanted Regalia left me feeling almost as sick and empty as Trixie did at that point in the story.

It also left me wondering why Miss F's steely core was still asleep. She has one. We know it's there. Overusing it would be a dangerous thing for a writer to do - it could easily degenerate into shtick - but she's never been just an ineffectual ball of yellow and pink fur. She has a spine. It just takes a lot to make her stiffen it.

None of the others came off all that well either. Twilight didn't do much. Pinkie and AJ showed glimmers of throwing off their enchantment, but then they slipped right back into it. Rarity seemed particularly dense. She's never been my favorite, but I do think she's sharper and less shallow than she was depicted here. Come to think of it, she also suffered from the weakest handling in the first six stories: she's smarter than to lose her store while sitting on a fortune in gemstones, too, but I mentioned that in my review of "Twilight Sparkle: Spellbound." No need to go over it again.

To sum things up, maybe I'd just like to read a story where the Mane Cast are all in their right minds again. Even their right minds are pretty darn quirky, neurotic and flawed. That's one of their major charms. They don't suddenly have to display perfect mental health, because frankly, they never had that in the first place.
Icy Sapphire15 chapter 2 . 10/6/2011
I love how Trixie's adjectives kept changing. It was a very nice touch.
BaconKing chapter 2 . 10/6/2011
Loved it but out of all your stories, this one's ending seemed a bit lackluster, awesome work nonetheless. Also, am I the only one who saw a "The Tick" reference when Fluttershy yelled "SPOOON!"?
Etch Feather chapter 2 . 10/5/2011
Well well. I hate to say it, but the first chapter was missing something. It just wasn't as inciting as the rest of your stories. At first, I really didn't feel like reading the second chapter, but of course that tore at me, Trixie being my favorite background character and all. I'm happy I did, because the second chapter was outstanding and more than made up for the first.

Now, the problems I really had with the first chapter was the lack of character development. All your other stories had an instant connection and an increase in character development after a short period of time. Trixie just seemed for flat in this. The descriptive work of course kept be captivated for a bit, but I found myself being able to tell where the story was going, which is unlike any of your other stories. Sadly, this first chapter is only getting a 6.5/10 from me.

Now, the second chapter started to grab my attention. This is when the development really started to happen, and when I felt like the story really started to pick up. The strange lines of the characters who were under control really enticed me, because I knew that they would be able to say them normally, they just needed help to say it. That made the first part intresting. Now, when the story moved over to Twilight a little bit, it brought me back into your original style of writing, and I fell in love with the rest of the story. I found that the lesson went almost unheeded on Trixie, but the punishment was cleverly ironic, which added a nice touch to the end. a 9/10 for the second chapter.

Personally, I was dissapointed a bit in reading this. I just didn't think it followed suit of the whole 'phycology' aspect of your other stories. Trixie is a very flawed character, and I KNOW you can do better with her. In total, it's a 8/10 for this story. Not your best work, but still worthy of praise. I look forward to your next story!
Descriptivist chapter 2 . 10/1/2011
Maaann, the structure of your stories is so impressively narratively satisfying.
grandpagohan1 chapter 2 . 9/29/2011
No less than the bitch deserves.
JoeEngland chapter 2 . 9/21/2011
It's a nice story, very well told, but I have to say... I do think Trixie gets off a little too easy.

I mean, she literally brings chaos, destruction, and trauma to an entire village. And she just walks away from that? What's more, she seems to walk away with a sense of satisfaction. What about actually going back to the village and trying to make up for some of what she did? If she's gained a newfound respect for the rights of others, shouldn't she feel some compulsion to return and make sure that her rampage didn't have any lasting effects?

A selfish brat can occasionally make an admission of guilt and say "gosh, I sure am a good person," and then go on their merry way. A truly repentant person will say "I've done terrible things, and I really need to examine myself and the way I live and what I've done to others." And maybe that's what Trixie will do, but from what I've read, there's no indication it's the latter rather than the former. For a study in psychology, I'd say more time should have been spent on Trixie's reaction after the fact. It's just too cut and dry.

And that's to say nothing of how her victims would feel. How would, say, Applejack react upon learning that this wicked enchantress, who stole from her princess, enslaved her and her loved ones, humiliated them, brought a destructive beast into their town, turned her against one of her closest friends, inflicted emotional trauma on others, arguably stole food from her, insulted her cooking, and basically made a huge mess which she and the other citizens have to clean up, is now off in Hoofington polishing her portfolio?

I don't think she'd be particularly happy.

In fact, if word got out, I'd guess Trixie would be hunted down fairly quickly. What would Celestia say then to the angry mob?

"Oh, leave her alone! She suffered cramps for a few hours and said she was sorry, and that's good enough for me."

But is it good enough for everyone else?
Galalithial chapter 2 . 9/20/2011
Magical, truly mesmerizing. I can't wait for the next one!
apocalypse penguin chapter 2 . 9/19/2011
SO GOOD.

I don't know what writing-enhancing drugs you're on, but I want some. You speak perfectly through Trixie's voice, and I love the third person/first person variations that depended on her current feelings. You had me biting my nails and wanting to give the characters hugs one moment, then giggling like a nutter the next.

"Sooner than you think"? I hope so :D
Endam chapter 2 . 9/19/2011
Brilliant again. You are masterful.
Alex Warlorn chapter 2 . 9/19/2011
turning her own friends and neighbours against her,

. . . not really against her . . . she doesn't seem to get how love works yet it seems. They just love Trixie now unconditionally.

"Silly filly!" said Pinkie Pie cheerfully, jerking Twilight's head back into facing the resplendent creature before her. "Trixie is that way!"

Yep. Pinkie's still Pinkie.

Tears streamed down Twilight Sparkle's cheeks as the unrestrained glory of the Regalia washed over her.

AH! This implies Celestia has learned how to SUPPRESS the majority of her armor's power over time.

I dread to think what Trixie will do to Snips and Snails.

I'm guessing that Twilight can't do the dangerous powerful magic that turned Spike into an adult in a flash.

– at the cost of her free will.

How do you define free will? You can't CHOOSE who you love ANYWAY!

Heh. I wonder how Trixie's gonna handle all the Mayor related PAPER WORK! Being a leader ISN'T just show.

WHY THE BLOODY HECK wouldn't it effect Twilight like that? Personally? I think it would have been better if it HAD effected Twilight, and her unconditional love for Trixie was that she wanted to SAVE HER FROM HERSELF. Like any loved one would do.

Too bad that divine armor didn't come with divine wisdom.

I can actually see the mundane Celestia showing with Trixie after thing fall apart and asking her in a polite, kind, motherly voice, "Did you get everything you wanted my little pony?"

She was positively starving.

We've seen Celestia eat with the armor on before.

You know? It's actually PAINFUL to watch Trixie waste the unconditional loyal she now has from everyone.

you can apologize for this mediocre meal, as well!"

WHY TRIXIE? WHY-? What do you REALLY want that you don't even know yourself?

Are the Regalia fighting me?

I'm guessing there's slightly more to it.

"Get off!"

DAMMIT!

Dammit Trixie dammit.

. . . while we get a good ending for this. I honestly wondered what happened to Trixie now that she's back where she came from . . . Since Trixie perhaps finally growing a little was the point of the story.