Reviews for Ready
SarahDrav3n chapter 1 . 4/21
Hi! I know now why -A Vulcan's Kiss- has your fanfiction as Favorite!
Really it was a pleasure to read! Thank you for this great and emotional experience!
ShadowPhoenix22 chapter 1 . 1/24
Wonderful and perfect I loved it! :)
time2read chapter 1 . 5/5/2014
Gah amazing amazing ficlet loved every moment of it!
BookWorm624 chapter 1 . 4/2/2014
That was wonderful! :)
ellisk chapter 1 . 1/9/2014
This is outstanding! I loved it.
C.P. Fletcher chapter 1 . 12/17/2013
I LOVE this! I love when we can see a loving relationship betwixt Thranduil and Legolas! Thank you so much. I smiled, and aww'd quite often.
TolkienScribe chapter 1 . 10/26/2013
You like my characterization of Legolas and Thranduil. I like yours, lol.
I like the way you had portrayed Legolas and Thranduil. It is really unique and it is quite amusing to see Thranduil softened way with Legolas while he had been brought up more... sternly (not sure if that is a proper word) by Oropher. Oropher's characterization did surprise me but I think it fits with how you brought this story along. I can tell that Oropher was troubled and that he had wanted to reassure himself that both his son and his kingdom will continue to survive after his death. Legolas' portrayal was spot-on but what touched me the most was Thranduil's manner. I mean, his personality pracitically changed from one scenario to the next. You practically showed his maturity and that actually brought the story together. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed to find out that this was the only work you had done in LOTR, but I guess every author has one certain topic he or she particularly enjoys. The rest just becomes drabbles, though good ones.
Well, this is becoming a long review, and I suspect you will get an email where half of the review will be cut short and you will have to come online to see it all, lol. Ah well.
Best regards,
Phoenix
Kirschflower chapter 1 . 7/5/2013
i really enjoyed reading your story!
Matt Guthrie chapter 1 . 3/4/2013
I like this. Good work. :)
A Vulcan's Kiss chapter 1 . 3/4/2013
Heheh. This will be a long review, I really hope you don't mind too much! Really, this story is just soo wonderful and I have so much to say, sorry!

First off, I adore the entire idea of this story! It's original and you made something that could be overly cheesy, corny and just "ew." delightful and amazing! When I first started reading being the doofus that I am, I thought Thranduil was Legolas for awhile. So, undoubtedly I was a wee bit confused. I continued reading and after reading some more and then even more I finally came to terms that it was Thranduil, not Legolas! I definitley have enjoyed reading this and I greatly appreciate how all of it is set up! It's very creative, and is laid out perfectly! I love how lengthy this is, but it isn't so that one gets bored. It's not to drawn-out, yet it's not to short either. It's like an oreo cookie, it has the perfect mix of cookie and cream. Everything about this just balances this story out and gives it this uniqueness that is rarely found here on this website.

To move on to another factor I liked; characterization! Everyone and everything was just so in character. One of the things that I appreciate the most about this spectacular story is how "in character" everyone was. The characters all had their own voice, and you adamantly showed the distinction yet similarity in them. For example, Oropher had a vision about his death, and asked the young Prince Thranduil if he would be ready to rule if the need came. We got to see Oropher's obvious struggling to come to grips with the fact that the Kingdom he brought up himself was going to lose him. He struggled with not only that, but keeping up his Kingly mannerisms around the other elves, despite his feelings of fatherly love towards Thranduil. Having almost never let out said feelings of affection before, when he does so for that split second Thranduil and he both feel it and connect with each other. Oropher was able to keep his "tough, serious and brood-like" attitude, and share one last moment of father-son love with Thranduil. During all of this Thranduil stayed strong, no matter the fact that he was still a young elf, and he thought it unfair. He stayed with his strength not only for himself and Oropher, but for the people he was being forced to rule. Unlike Oropher though, he was only able to keep a strong attitude for awhile. As was evident when one reads his calling Oropher 'Adar', and holding his hand lovingly on Oropher's arm. Afterwards he collected himself, not because he wanted to, but because he had to. All of this shows just how headstrong they both are, while showing their difference.

When Thranduil, now King, discusses Prince Legolas' ruling he adresses it similar to the way that Oropher it differed in the fact that indeed, he had particularly gone soft. But not in the sense of becoming a sap, but in the unconscious sense of not wanting to hurt his son and burden him like was done unto himself. He is absolutely flabbergasted when Legolas replied what a sturdy "No." Perhaps the fact of Legolas denying him was beforehand, onconcievable as he had no choice himself, so he had never given it thought. Whatever the case, he was quite stricken. When Legolas explains himself he suddenly understands, and he notices a similarity yet difference between himself and Legolas. When he was Legolas' age he never would have even dreamed of defying Oropher, for Legolas to do so, even with his reasoning showed great bravery and a compassion for his father that he was not scared to show. Like Thranduil was with his own father. Legolas' also showed his vulnerability, at that moment as well. Where Thranduil hid his feelings of terror and self-doubt Legolas freely showed his. That, is another difference. When Legolas confesses what he would do if he was ever to rule Mirkwood Thranduil is so touched that he shows Legolas the compassion and affection that he held towards him easily. His father held that same passion, but was never the type to show it. I honestly think that at the end Thranduil did not want Legolas to feel any of the pain that he felt as a young elf, which inifintley made him a better father then Oropher. Not King, but father. For he learned from his fathers mistakes, or at the least what hurt him the most, and made those mistakes into tiumphs when raising his own son. It shows a big difference between the three of them, all of this really does.

At the very end, when Thranduil talks to his Ada like he is there he shows that all is forgiven, that he loves him and is there. But he also shows that he cannot be physically there until it is Legolas' time to go there as well. When he laughs at the thought of his fathers face when he finds that his grandson befriended a dwarf it shows jut how carefree he is sometimes, that he is nothing like his father in the sense that he doesn't let his responsibilities as King rule over his responsibilities as a father. When Legolas hears that laughter, and he is touched deeply by the deep rumbling of Thranduil's voice it shows one of the similarities that he had with the young Thranduil. They both loved their father greatly, especially when he was happy and loving towards them.

I think one of my other reasons for loving this tale was that you made Thranduil a kind and loving father. He was caring, compassionate and sweet. He understood where Legolas was coming from, and loved him deeper then anyone could dream of. I know that the parents of elves technically put parts of their own souls into their children. More so the mother, but from a reasoning my friend discussed with me, the father would most likely use some of his soul to strengthen the mother. Thus, a larger portion of the mothers soul would be in the elfling babe, and a smaller portion, but still a portion, of the fathers would be in there as well. I despise when people write Thranduil as an over-abusive, arrogant and negative father. So many people seem to portray him as so, and honestly they either forgot about the soul thing or they just didn't know. It pains me to see stories such as that due to the lack of research, and general caring of a writer. Seemingly they don't understand that just because he has a violent hatred for dwarves, (after all they did slaughter much of his family!) it doesn't make him hate people in general! Some writers just don't seem to understand that, and most of the time they write Thranduil as abusive so it benefits their characters (or a character already established in Middle Earth) romantic life with Legolas, so they can "heal together." Really, it is absolutely horrifying to think that anyone would do such a thing. Thranduil would be the LEAST OF ALL ELVES to be abusive, look at his background people. It just doesn't make sense for him to be that way! It's absolutely amazing to see someone who believes otherwise, and most likely understands where I'm coming from... sorry for the rant. I get kind of excited when someone agrees with me on somethign I adamantly support!

Overall, thank you soo much for writing this story! I greatly appreciate it and will cherish reading it forever! You are a wonderful author, and I hope to one day be as good as you :)

Yours truly,

80icrazy80
CheveronChick chapter 1 . 2/9/2013
This, was simply amazing! Thank you so much for writing this, i enjoyed it termediousely! your writing style is unique and fascinating! Hopefully you have or will write more stories like this! Thank you for sharing!
oo Countess D oo chapter 1 . 12/16/2012
I love your story, one of the best with Legolas and Thranduil I've found so far.
darkdaysofsummer chapter 1 . 8/23/2012
This was amazing! One of the best Legolas and Thranduil stories I've ever read.
HedgehogTheBlue chapter 1 . 9/19/2011
Oh, I love this story! :) Just fantastic! I hope you'll continue writing LOTR stories.
Raisinet chapter 1 . 9/18/2011
Oh my gosh! This was really, really wonderful! Short, sweet and poignant. Legolas' family is often portrayed as cold, unfeeling, or worse, so to read about them as a real, loving family was wonderful. Kudos to you! I hope you will write more about them. It's always a pleasure to find well-written fanfic in this genre.