Reviews for Insanity Island
Unseen Watcher chapter 1 . 3/21
Wonderful. I'm rereading this on stormy nights. Great short thriller. Love 'trapped in the house/castle/mansion during a storm' stories. Thanks!
Kalann chapter 1 . 10/21/2020
You've really caught the feel of the Shadow and the time. I love this story. Well done!
sara.koch90 chapter 1 . 6/30/2018
This is incredible. I am lucky to have discovered you as a fanfiction author. It is so difficult to find great fanfictions let alone find any for a niche fandom. I have read your stories 10 years ago when my english wasn't the best (am german) but I couldn't restrain myself because I knew that they are something special. Now I find myself always returning to all of them and still loving them all if not even more because I can see how amazing, rare and incredible you are Scarlet and I I really hope this review reaches you even though it's long overdue. All the best and hoping that you still are or will be writing fanfictions.
Wai-Jing Waraugh chapter 1 . 3/24/2018
I only just discovered The Shadow, and I must admit I'm enjoying your rendition more than any other I've seen thus far. You've developed Margo and Lamont's relationship a lot more fully than the film did; and the comics I've read thus far have underutilized The Shadow's abilities, portraying him as a gunman with a red scarf most of the time. You do a great job of balancing Lamont's immense power with his vulnerable humanity, it's very refreshing to read - especially since it is all so well-written.

This was the first of the stories I read - I accidentally got them out of order - but it is possibly still my favourite. I'm a mystery buff, so I enjoyed the classic whodunit format: the isolated mansion with a killer trapped among the guests.
There were a few flaws in the reasoning: if Paul was working alone I don't know how Letty could have heard him talking to someone about doing away with her, unless she heard an ordinary conversation and assumed the worst based on his very real abuse of her. It was also remiss of Lamont and Margo not to check on Letty before bedtime, having promised to protect her; as soon as the shutter had supposedly 'blown open' when Paul went to check on her, I knew he had done it, if they had drawn that conclusion the same time I did they perhaps could have saved her. Still, given how wrapped up in each other the couple were, I can forgive them - Lamont surprising Margo by slipping into her bed was so cute! I liked how you had him using his powers to see in a dark room, and how he faded out of sight mid-step as he went hunting for clues, those kinds of stealthy movements really make the most of his abilities. The way Lamont could relate to Adam's wartime experience was wonderfully done; as was the way The Shadow using Telltale Heart-style psychological torture to drive Paul to confession.

I'm working my way through the series of stories gradually, I'm already more than halfway done. I should go leave you a couple more reviews while I'm at it!
Margot la Rue chapter 1 . 7/20/2012
I have just marathoned all of your fics for The Shadow. I love them so much!I hope you plan to write more.
Berry chapter 1 . 5/24/2012
Another good chapter in your series. Although I must admit I can't wait for you to write the wedding and honeymoon. Somehow I just don't those going smoothly.
Stephensmat chapter 1 . 9/19/2011
Insanity Island is one that I like because it lets us follow Margo’s history for a while. A lot of superhero series won’t delve too deeply into the backgrounds of characters other than the hero, but this one always played up the family angle; which is no mean feat given that the hero in question is played so… shadowy in the original source material.

The growth of Margo as a character and as a telepathy is a good thread to follow, because it's stated in the movie that she can, or at least heavily implied, but it never gets expanded on, and that's what Fanfic is for.

The Shadow is an often forgotten hero these days, with a rich tapestry of background, and limitless supply of plot points to explore. I for one am very glad to see one my favorite authors continue to add to the collection here on . There just ain't enough hero stuff out there, especially this one.
Tarkas1956 chapter 1 . 9/18/2011
Wonderful to see another story in this series, and this one is well up to scratch. The mystery is a little easy to solve - for a classic 30's whodunnit, you'd have needed a few more suspects - but the story is, as always, a delight to read. I really like your Lamont and Margo, and I look forward to more stories in which Margo starts to realise some of her psychic potential; then they really will make a formidable team!
katdemon1895 chapter 1 . 9/17/2011
another brilliant story in this fantastic shadow series of yours, your mysteries are excellent and i'm really enjoying the development of margo's abilities as well as the relationship between her and lamont, they're absolutely perfect, sad about lettie dying but the tell tale heart trick was fantastic and i particularly enjoy that these stories are complete when you post

thanks so much for sharing this tale