Reviews for Monster
Mauryn chapter 1 . 6/17/2012
In the SW Clone wars series, the episodes I enjoy the most ar the ones that focus primarily on the clones. And, on the fan fiction side, I am always up for a Captain Rex story, good or bad.

Fortunately, this was excellent!

A perfect prequel to Deserter, and a very compelling look in to the mind of a equally compelling clone character.

It's hard to believe that it was not planned out as a deserter prequel, but I'll take your word on that, and many compliments to your Beta.

Please keep writing!
Moondoe chapter 1 . 12/2/2011
Kandosii. Original
captainrexbest35 chapter 1 . 10/9/2011
EYEOH
laloga chapter 1 . 9/18/2011
Very compelling piece! Loved the fact that you set it up as kind of a prequel to "The Deserter" episode. It's always great to see the clones in various stages of questioning their purpose, and I love how Rex is pretty much just confused. He's not angry, he just genuinely has no clue why this "civvie" hates him so much.

Great piece!

(And HOND is one of my favorites! Great line!)
sachariah chapter 1 . 9/18/2011
Another short but powerful piece.

I'm glad you liked the idea of using it as a prequel to "Deserter". To be honest, I have a hard time believing it wasn't written that way (of course I take your word for it. ;) It really fits so perfectly. Even "pre-Cut", Rex is a very freethinking man. Whereas other clones might have either killed or incapacitated the raving stranger (is he a farmer?), or at the most returned insults, Rex actually listens, and tries to understand and reason. He's already aware enough of his own individuality to *know* something is *wrong* about what the man is saying, but he doesn't have the experience to refute it. He only has his conditioned beliefs to fall back upon, and they were never meant for this. It's a poignant picture of how *empty* a clone's worldview (galaxyview?) is; he's not an idiot, but he's left unable to counter the clear irrationality of his 'opponent'.

It's a chilling piece, and clearly leaves Rex (and us) with the haunting question that you wove throughout the story. It adds a entirely new dimension to that moment in "Deserter", at Cut's table. Once he acknowledges his individuality, and that of others, his duty becomes so much more to him than "just [fighting] because he's told to."

Excellent work.