Reviews for A History of the High Kings of Prydain Part 1
CompanionWanderer chapter 1 . 9/22/2011
I like the sort of lyrical quality, calling back the bardic style. It reads like the sort of thing people in an oral culture would be taught to memorize.

Do I detect the birth of the Fair Folk in the first round of magic makers?

I want more detail about the "magic of life and rebirth" from the streams. How? Who used it? When every other type gets a paragraph, it feels imbalanced when water only gets a line.

I find myself searching for a unifying theme under all this magic - maybe that's your point, ultimately? - because at the root all these things are connected - the Fair Folk, for example, require earth magic to be able to work with all those precious gems; that stream magic is necessary for the earth to produce, etc. And at the end - if there's nothing left but earth - why are there still bards around?

Recently I read a very good essay (mentioned in my forum thread) on the problem of the barrenness of Prydain in general (whether it was intentional on Alexander's part or not). You might find it inspiring - check my thread for the link.

I also agree with Eilonwyy here - what about the women? (The aforementioned essay addresses this as well.) Though perhaps this is deliberate, if you are attempting something that feels like an actual historical record, rather than a modern record of historical event.

Well, you've pretty much left things wide open. I look forward to seeing where it goes.
Eilonwyy chapter 1 . 9/22/2011
I see what you mean by calling this a bard's tale. I enjoyed the lyric flow of your language and the retelling of an earlier, more innocent age that is mentioned in the Prydain series several times.

However, I think Eilonwy would say tartly, "You keep mentioning 'men' as though the women didn't count, except as possessions. Women can work magic too. We can create beauty, and we can make mistakes and lose ourselves as well."

I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this. Please continue!