Reviews for Forgotten
Guest chapter 1 . 12/6/2014
Wwwwwhhhaaaaattttttt in the world
Joshua chapter 1 . 7/3/2013
I apologize for bringing up Teen Titans Go again, Kryalla, as I have already made my point, but I feel that I really need to get this off my chest. I just saw the latest episode, "Super Robin", and all I can say is...wow. That was quite possibly one of the worst episodes I have seen in any television show...ever. I'm not even mad about Robin's poor characterization so much as I am about that horrible and tasteless ending. The other Titans coming into Robin's hospital room and gloating to his face about how they were right about superpowers being a curse just before his life slips away from him?! Was that seriously supposed to be humorous?! That was terrible! What kind of cruel individuals would do that to one of their best friends?! If the creators were actually attempting a serious episode for once, they still failed. For one, since when has Robin's lack of superhuman abilities ever hobbled him in any manner? Plus, the Titans all just going their separate ways after all world issues were solved seems a bit difficult to swallow for me. They are still friends, so would they not stick together and try to help one another out? I have already stated why the ending infuriates me so much, so I will not even bother with it again. This episode, more than any other so far, really showcased why this show does not sit straight with me. As a comedy, it completely failed due to its mishandling of a rather serious predicament, and it failed as a drama due to the poor characterizations and tasteless ending. When myself and other haters of Teen Titans Go said that we wanted serious episodes, we did not mean tasteless and needlessly mean-spirited garbage such as this. I have even come across a surprising number of people who love and support Teen Titans Go who did not like this episode one bit. I understand that I have already made my dislike for this show quite clear, but I felt the need to add this because it re-enforces my point that Teen Titans Go is an abysmal replacement of the original show and a complete and utter gut punch to fans of the characters. This episode put me in such a negative frame of mind that I am not even going to bother mentioning how Raven granting Robin those superpowers made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Anyway, I apologize once more for yet another long message on a subject I have already spoken of, but I really feel that you are one of the few Teen Titans Go defenders and fans who will not just write me off as an angry fan boy. I wish you an enjoyable week, Kryalla.
Joshua chapter 1 . 6/15/2013
As I stated previously, I am very happy that you enjoy this show. However, even after some of the valid points that you made, I still have great difficulty supporting this show.
I am well aware that the original Teen Titans show had an abundance of goofy humor. In fact, two of my favorite episodes were "Date with Destiny" and "Revolution". I cracked up when I watched those two, among others. This is because I actually found the over-the-top humor in those to be very funny. They offered a nice breath of relief after (or before) dark and intense episodes like "Aftershock" and "Haunted". The new show's humor and jokes fall completely flat for me, as they often depend on cheap references to much better cartoons. Humor in superhero cartoons is perfectly acceptable, but when it is nothing but humor, I think it really defeats the purpose of being a superhero cartoon at all.
Not to mention, I loathe Robin's characterization in Teen Titans Go. Sorry, but I really can't get behind him impersonating Speedy in order to make him look like a jerk so Starfire will reject him. At the most, Robin would spy on them during their date, but kidnapping and impersonating Speedy is just going way too far in my book. If that weren't bad enough, in "Dude Relax", the whole explanation of Robin's uptight nature being because the circus animals always teased him was beyond infuriating. Richard Grayson's parents were killed in front of him due to Tony Zucco sabotaging their trapeze ropes. That is why he is so uptight all the time. There is a fine line between satirizing a character and making an insulting mockery of them. And the less said about Cyborg's father being a toaster, the better. I understand the show's goal is to be light-hearted and humorous, but I feel it is completely missing the "humor" portion.
You already know that I detest what they did with Trigon for obvious reasons, so I won't bother crossing that bridge again (I just hope to heaven that Slade won't ever appear on this show *shudder*). Instead, I will continue to discuss Robin's complete idiocy in this show and why I don't find him to be humorous. In "Driver's Ed", Robin reveals at the end of the episode that he knew his driving instructor was a criminal who was simply using him the entire time. If that is truly the case, why the name of J. Jonah Jameson would he continue to keep driving with him?! It makes absolutely zero sense, even from a child's standpoint.
One of my single largest complaints is that the characters in Teen Titans Go could honestly be anybody and you would have the same exact show. Since they rarely ever do anything superhero related (and when they do...yeah, all we really get is a brief, poorly-choreographed fight scene), they can be random, made-up characters and the show wouldn't be any different. Sure, young children will definitely enjoy it, but that is an issue in itself. Children don't normally have very high standards for television shows, so it is quite easy to impress and entertain them. I really miss the good old days when cartoons were entertaining for all ages. Perhaps I need to just accept the manner in which things are now, but I find it too difficult since I don't find the results to be very satisfying. As a show on its own, I find Teen Titans Go to be incredibly average and mediocre, but as a replacement of the original? Very, very poor.
Lastly, I would once again like to emphasize that I am very happy that you and your family have fun watching Teen Titans Go. I am glad that you can do what I can't seem to: put aside your love for the original show and enjoy this one. However, let me ask you this: do you prefer this new version over the original show getting a sixth season? I know hoping for a sixth season of the original is probably just a pipe dream, but I can't help but wonder. Take care, Kryalla. Perhaps I will be able to appreciate Teen Titans Go for what it is some day. Hey, at the very least, it is better than the current Teen Titans comic books by Scott Lobdell.
Kryalla Orchid chapter 1 . 6/15/2013
I can't sign in, as I've already answered an anon on a review.

Joshua:
Jodibethstone... hmm... name's not familiar... oh, right, she did a review which I commented on. I wouldn't call her a friend, just someone who enjoys the new Teen Titans Go too, Tumblr is a community, we all comment on each other's stuff if it's tagged. I did agree with her review though.

Anyway...
The thing to remember with Teen Titans Go is it's a parody. It's an alternative universe, it doesn't have anything to do with the old Titans, except for the fact that it shares the same characters and voice actors. The show doesn't take itself seriously and neither should the fans. It's not meant to be a continuation of Teen Titans. It's not meant to be characterisationally correct. Personally, I love the fact that Robin's chasing after Starfire this time.

Some of the personality quirks do bug me. Beast Boy's in particular. Gorilla sat very badly with me. But you're allowed to like programs and still have a problem with it's content.

As for the creators, I believe that was said in jest and people have just run with it. I know a couple of writers and animators for the show have watched all the original series. I know some of the writers are the same as the original series.

It is not poorly animated. It's quite cleverly animated, given the budget they were allowed. The problem with shows like Green Lantern and Young Justice is how much they cost. They cost a small fortune and most of their funding was meant to come from merchandise, which when failed, meant the shows went under. Teen Titans Go has been written and produced without any emphasis on merchandising.

I don't think it's disrespectful. I think it's actually quite respectful toward old fans. They've kept some things intact, some things have been slanted more toward humour. Robin's controlling nature, for example, has been overemphasised. The voice actors are the same. It's just exaggerated silliness. And the old Teen Titans was goofy too at times.

Everything is about change. Batman has gone through heaps of incarnations (Adam West is still my favourite Batman). So has Looney Toons. So have many, many shows. Some have been good, some have been bad.

I enjoy it. Other's don't. Nothing wrong with not liking a show. As it is, my children love it to pieces. It's not the best thing on TV, no, but it doesn't have to be.

If it helps, pretend the entire series has been a Larry Fanfiction.

Cheers
Kry
Joshua chapter 1 . 6/15/2013
I'm sorry to bug you once again, Kryalla, as I have been commenting on your stories a lot in the past several weeks. I am currently out of school and have been spending a fair degree of my free time reading fanfiction stories. If my posts are starting to wear on your nerves, please inform me and I shall stop for awhile. However, I happened to randomly come across your review for the "Teen Titans Go!" cartoon online at .com and I wish to briefly discuss it with you.
First and foremost, I am very happy that you and your friend, jodiebethstone enjoy the show. In fact, I actually envy the two of you. You see, I have actually watched every episode up to this point ("Legendary Sandwich", "Pie Bros.", "Driver's Ed", "Dog Hand", "Double Trouble", "The Date", "Dude Relax", "Laundry Day", "Ghostboy", "La Larva de Amor", "Hey Pizza!" and "Gorilla") and cannot get into it. I keep watching in hopes that the show will begin to amuse me, but it just is not happening. I find many of the jokes to be overly-immature and unfunny, with rather poor characterizations and some very shallow plots. What is the point of making a cartoon featuring the Teen Titans if they don't do anything superhero related? If I wanted to see immature teenagers act stupid for eleven minutes each episode, I would go watch Ed, Edd, n Eddy (a show that I actually find hilarious because it does what Teen Titans Go! tries to do much, much better: immature teenagers acting like stupid kids!)
As for the characterizations, Robin is easily my main issue. He went from a tough-as-nails, no-nonsense (well, most of the time) leader who would give his life for anyone of his teammates in a heartbeat, into a selfish, goofball slacker. For example, he gives Cyborg a half-empty soda can for his birthday and impersonates Speedy in order to ruin Starfire's date with him. Robin would get jealous, but that is just way too immature and out-of-character for him. I also dislike how the creators got Robin's and Starfire's relationship completely backwards, with Robin following Starfire around like a love-sick puppy and Starfire not really seeming to notice him. Oh, and don't even get me started on Trigon's portrayal! I know this is aimed at a younger audience, but there has to be a limit! Plus, using the "this is a kid's show and is targeted towards young children" excuse never worked for me. Shows like Scooby-Doo, Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry are aimed at kids, but are highly enjoyable for adults as well. Heck, even old superhero shows like Batman, Superman, Spider-Man and the original Teen Titans cartoon had plenty of kid-friendly moments while also appealing to an older audience.
My main issue with this show however, is its blatant disrespect towards fans of the original. Fans have been pleading with Cartoon Network for years to renew the show for a season six (there are still plenty of petitions online attempting to get one). Instead they give us a lazy, poorly-animated parody. Not that I can expect much else, since the creators of Teen Titans Go have never even seen the original show. Even if they were joking in the interview, they still don't seem to possess much respect for the subject material.
Sorry for going on for so long, I just wanted to type out my thoughts on the new show and share it with another fan. I am in no way attempting to change your opinion on the show, I just wanted to state my opinion. I'm actually very glad that you like the show, I just can't seem to bring myself to enjoy it personally. Once more, if all of my recent posts are beginning to irritate you, please tell me and I will stop. I know I can become quite bothersome when I am discussing something that I like, and I do have quite a bit of free time at the moment, so I apologize again if I am starting to become annoying. Anyway, I wish you an enjoyable week, Kryalla.
Joshua chapter 1 . 6/9/2013
"Some things are best left forgotten"... like Red Hood and the Outlaws for example. I know that was an obvious joke but I just couldn't resist.
sunshine chapter 1 . 5/21/2013
I completely understand I didnt like lobdell or his writing but I kept reading because I had hope that starfire was their somewhere although I think the reboot was pointless I enjoy were the story is heading its getting a little bit better though I like your fanfictions more than most of the comics ive read thank you for responding to my comment
Kryalla Orchid chapter 1 . 5/19/2013
sunshine: The fact we had to wait twenty issues and a new author to find out for sure that something was up with Starfire's mind and self-repressed memories, raises a ton of red flags for me.

I'm happy for the new author, but Lobdell lost my interest around comic 6. He's self-confessed that he never plans to far ahead and a lot of the writing for me came off as backpeddling, not just with Starfire, but Arsenal and Red Hood too. And he never explained as to why she lied to herself in her own mind over a variety of things.

I've no interest in reading it. Other's may find enjoyment in it and that's great for them, but not me.
sunshine chapter 1 . 5/19/2013
Kryalla as said in your authors note on this one shot it is time to bow down in aww at the ones who fooled us since scott lobedell has left the book their has been a new author(WARNING SPOILER ALERT FOR RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS # 20) in the latest issue we find jason todd mind wiped and begging roy and kory to let him stay that way through the book we see roys and jasons past and then we find wonderful news for starfire "I can see how your mind works kid if anything the bonds of memory and emotion are even stronger for you than humans but still you pretend you try so hard to make those who care about you think you cant connect with them youre just trying to protect yourself yes your mind works differently than any human its beautiful actually you feel so strongly so deeply that one terrible memory can destroy you" "its selective amnesia you only forget what you want to forget" I dont remember the name of the character that said this but he is a mind reader or something along those lines we were fooled for a while but starfire never left us she's been hiding because something happened with nightwing it just showed a picture of them fighting thank you to the new author for showing us starfire never left and I hope things get better from here :)
Joshua chapter 1 . 4/28/2013
I really liked your rant at the end, Kryalla. I feel the exact same way. Many of us have hated plenty of aspects of the New 52 for quite some time now. In my opinion, the only enjoyable comics that I have come across in the New 52 were the Batman stories (namely Scott Snyder's "Court of the Owls" and "Death of the Family"). Why would Scot Lobdell take a great and caring character such as Starfire and turn her into a shallow, sex-starved bimbo? Not only is "Red Hood and the Outlaws" a terrible, insulting and all-around boring comic series, but the current "Teen Titans" comics (also written by Scott Lobdell) really aren't any better with all of their uninteresting and poorly written characters. Between the current Teen Titans comics and the horrible, overly-childish new "Teen Titans Go!" cartoon (sigh), the Titans are having a really tough time. If you feel up to it, myself and I'm sure plenty of your other fans would like to hear your thoughts and opinion on both the current Teen Titans comics and the "Teen Titans Go!" cartoon.
Electricboa chapter 1 . 4/5/2013
This was another sad story, I actually thought that Starfire was creating a separate identity and becoming more drawn into it, but not that it was a completely split personality. The play on the name 'Anna' was especially nice.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/3/2013
Nice. This was awesome. Great job.
Ninetailsjinx chapter 1 . 1/6/2013
Heartbreaking. At first you had me so confused (in a suspenseful way, mind you) but as soon as Raven pointed out that she lost her pupils and that the ends of her hair burned when she became angry I had an epiphany. "Oh I know what she's doing!" I thought to myself. And I loved it.
I remember reading that you were tempted to flesh this story out more, rather than writing the middle so passively, but for me it was perfect because I don't know that I would've wanted to have read about RobXStar's relationship (and Starfire herself) disintegrating like that. Nope, for me, it was perfect on the fast track. And you had a great twist at the end, especially with the cultural
implications of having a ruler like that and belonging to a warrior culture. Thanks for posting!
TheAthenzZ chapter 1 . 12/19/2012
Ow. My heart. My heart! It hurts! WHY DC WHY! Thank you for your oneshot, that was very heartbreaking. Thank you for your hardwork.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/14/2012
That was a very sad and very depressing story. I was wondering why you would write something like this until I read the author's note at the the end. Let me just say that I agree with you 100% on that. Turning Starfire into a sex-starved whore is bad enough, but making her stupid at the same time? Screw DC and their stupid decisions. Then again, just about every character in the New 52 is written horribly.