Reviews for A Stronger Passion
Cat's Magic chapter 1 . 11/23/2016
Revising previous opinion somewhat (I hope I'm allowed to review the same fic twice?).

Having thoroughly reread Emily Climbs, I no longer find it believably/realistically possible (in canon) that Emily (the Emily of the books, that is) would ever marry Perry under any circumstances.

Under the circumstances you've described (including a well-said if plain-spoken proposal from Perry) I do actually find it believably possible that Emily might get (temporarily) engaged to Perry, but I think that she would not actually marry him (as soon as she had thought it all out) (which would probably not take her much more than about one "three o'clock in the morning").

It was already established (thoroughly) that Emily has no romantic feelings for Perry, never did have and never will have. In my experience, that sort of thing usually does not change. There was never any real "hope" for Perry with Emily, it just took him about a dozen years to finally BELIEVE it, is all. ;-)

If Emily were going to marry someone for friendship-with-a-light-touch-of-romance, it would more likely have been Dean, for whom she did at one time have at least SOME romantic feeling, instead of not any. ;-)

However, the fic itself is still good.
Cat's Magic chapter 1 . 11/18/2016
Nice work. I'm not keen on Emily and Perry ending up together (and I'm glad they didn't) but this is a well-written "what if". I enjoyed reading it even if it's not what I'd want to have happen (and that says something) (at least my only reaction wasn't "ew, gross"). I like how you used the language of the books but used your own words. I like how you let Perry talk like Perry, instead of making him talk like some Victorian lover or something. (Perry always was one for plain speaking. Or maybe I mean, his own style of ornamental speaking. :-) (Actually I think if I were married to Perry I'd probably get tired of his way of speaking. But I'm not Emily or Ilse, so I don't have to worry about it. ;-)

I also like how you remembered to mention that Emily will always love Teddy (well, it's obvious from the books, but apparently it's not obvious to everyone! sigh!). She has not suddenly fallen madly in love with Perry, he's healing her broken heart. That seems more realistic, to me anyway.

I think really this fic just makes me even more glad that all the right people got together in the books (And I loved how that was accomplished in the books. :-) I want them to be happy, and I think Emily/Teddy, Ilse/Perry would be (much) happier with each other than with anyone else (in the world) (they just seem to suit each other best :-). But. I can't help remembering that who L.M. Montgomery married was probably...not exactly her heart's desire either...so I think she would not object to this kind of marriage (the "soothe the broken heart" kind of marriage) if it happened at the right time and in the right way and for the right reasons. However...I'm still just so glad that she wanted something better for her characters than that. (For them, only the best, always. :-)

In some ways, it sort of bothered me a little that Perry didn't even know Emily loved Teddy. I mean, how well did he (Perry) know her if he didn't even know that...it isn't so easy to keep a thing like that secret from your closest friends (for instance, I think Dean must've always sort of half-known or at least subconsciously known, even if he didn't really exactly want to know). On the other hand I guess at least it won't worry Perry particularly, since he at first didn't even know about it and then didn't think it was very significant (sigh). (Speaking/writing of what ifs, though, it does make me wonder, what-would-happen-if...the people I believe are in love with each other were to...discover that...AFTER they're all already married to other people. Yikes, what a mess! And that kind of weird possibility...is one reason why, if I were in that kind of situation, I'd probably not get married at all. Less awkwardness, that way. ;-) Still, though, I'd be happy for these four to be...together in almost any reasonable combination, if it makes them happier than being alone. I assume that was at least partly what you were thinking of too. :-)

Anyway, overall, nice job, and thanks for posting! :-)
shimmeringlady chapter 1 . 4/15/2015
I didn't think I would like this because I have always been very happy that she ended up with Teddy in the end of Emily's Quest, although I felt it was extremely drawn out and took forever, but I actually like how you made it work with Perry. So great job, I could definitely see it happening that way!
Guest chapter 1 . 7/19/2014
I loved it absolutely loved it thanks so much! I always wanted Emily and perry to end up together!:)
Mia chapter 1 . 3/20/2014
He didn't!
Lauren D chapter 1 . 10/14/2011
A part of me feels awful for Ilse and Teddy, but the other part thinks that they got what they deserve. Emily and Perry do get along well, it seems. Thanks for writing this.
No Coward Soul chapter 1 . 9/29/2011
I liked this; it's interesting to see how the alternative pairing works out. Perry's speech sounds just like the book, and the use of Mrs. Kent's quote in the title is a nice touch.
Evelyn Blake chapter 1 . 9/23/2011
I was excited to see a new Emily story, and this is a good one! You've got a good sense for the characters - I love Emily correcting Perry that Teddy is an "artist," not a painter - and though I don't want Emily to end up with Perry, either, you've set it up so that it makes sense. Though it makes me sad to think of how Ilse must feel!

Thanks for this. I hope you stick around and write more.