Reviews for Born Under a Bad Star
ksecc1 chapter 20 . 3/15
This is a fun story...definitely not what I expected. Beru reminds me of Petunia. Spunky and self deprecating and hilarious. You write such likeable flawed characters. I wonder what your luke will turn into?
RonneeM chapter 22 . 12/28/2014
I wandered several links and found something you wrote which I liked. Then I saw this and wondered about it. Stayed up way past my normal sleep time to finish it too. I'm an ancient Star Wars fan. I've been to every single opening night starting with the first movie (by sheer accident since I was treated to the movie as part of a huge family goodbye celebration). While I am not seriously enamored of the prequel trilogy, I also do not really understand a lot of the complaints about them. Maybe they're not perfect but they are Lucas' vision. I've read many of the books. Some I've liked, some I've adored and some I've despised to the point of contemplating burning them. For the most part, I've avoided the fanfiction that either involves the prequels or the books simply because too many times I got lost in the 'fixes' when I tried.

That said - this was just plain fun. I like the subtle jibes and the softly creeping understanding that you built up. It shows Beru and Owen as more than the painfully lost aunt and uncle in IV or the shadowy silhouettes in II. It also links Owen to Ben and then to Luke and Anakin. The painfully bleak outlook between the two brothers is well done, as is the way they rip into each other verbally.

Seeing things from Beru's point of view is poignantly tragic but it also has subtle traces of hopeful brilliance too. The way she sees things, part instinct, part Force sensitivity and part just plain experience gives the other characters a bit of darkness that might not be seen otherwise. Why do I think that? Because of her past, she sees people with dark tinted glasses more than with rose colored ones. Amidala's depression, fear and desperation when seen from that POV become suicidal as well as homicidal. The doctor's refusal to consider anyone except Amidala as his patient/charge and therefore outside his sphere of responsibility becomes a threat to both the infant Luke and Beru. Ben's insistence on returning Luke becomes obsession.

Do I think Beru is out of line? Having no one to turn to, having been left with a woman who the doctor blatantly suggested WOULD harm her infant and who REFUSES to help protect that child, having no ability to turn to the authorities because they are literally hiding under fake covers... she had little choice in the matter. Especially after Amidala showed up with her lightsaber in hand in the middle of the night. And I doubt the doctor ever gave that information to Ben.

I like the slow unfolding of Owen and Beru. Both have made mistakes. Both have owned up to them and are trying to work their way through and past those mistakes. Ben obviously does not have the full picture at this point. Anakin is currently deep in the midst of the Empire's grasp and out of the picture for the most part. Amidala, hiding in the dark, is so far into depression and fear that she's losing the battle.

I actually like everyone in the fic - both protagonist and antagonist. I like the inferences and the cultures that have crept into it. I adore the Rijdan family, their foibles, their blind adherence to their culture and their cheerfully boisterous and whimsical belief that men fight, women control the men without the men realizing it and rule the roost, women are delicate, blushing, sweet things to be coddled... (feminist me is appalled, medieval lit buff is bashing sword to shield in approval). I can't wait to start part II tomorrow.
Yamon chapter 23 . 7/30/2014
Wow!
An amazing story! I had troubles in the beginning finding out what changes you made to the canon, but it was kinda selfexplaining in the story.
I hope there is a part 2!
septima.winters chapter 23 . 4/10/2014
That's a nice story. Thank you for sharing it. :)
septima.winters chapter 22 . 4/10/2014
This chapter is so bittersweet..
septima.winters chapter 21 . 4/10/2014
I needed to google Ann Landers. ;)
By the way I do not think Beru will succeed in changing Owen's mind. :)
septima.winters chapter 20 . 4/10/2014
How can fight between brothers end well? ;)
septima.winters chapter 19 . 4/10/2014
It was a close call. ;)
septima.winters chapter 18 . 4/10/2014
It is not easy being Owen. ;)

I suppose that is really true what you wrote in AU about different POV.
Usually you can write totally different story from other character's point of view. Besides in situations as this in the story, things are not black and white, just grey. ;)
septima.winters chapter 17 . 4/10/2014
So Captain can once more rescue his damsel in distress. ;)
septima.winters chapter 16 . 4/10/2014
The whole situation seems like a deadlock now.
septima.winters chapter 15 . 4/10/2014
Really sorry, but no time for review, just want to keep on reading. :)
septima.winters chapter 14 . 4/10/2014
Your Ben is really nasty. ;)
septima.winters chapter 13 . 4/10/2014
Wonder what happens next :)
septima.winters chapter 10 . 4/10/2014
Nothing better like a pair of drugged newly weds ;).