Reviews for Bad In the Latin
charmony chapter 1 . 8/9/2012
This was really an interesting insight into River's mind, and as always, brilliantly woven together. Well done!
I Can Kill You With My Brain chapter 1 . 7/3/2012
I like this story a lot. I love how you showed River's POV.
Whyt Wulf chapter 1 . 1/1/2012
I was so excited to see this alert show up in my inbox. I'd thought maybe you had "retired" from writing, but I'm happy to see you're still around.

This was so totally disjointed that it made perfect sense it was River's thought process. I don't know that it was supposed to make any more sense than it did, and it was wonderful for that disconnection from reality.
RionaEire chapter 1 . 9/28/2011
Very well written, you capture the concept of fleeting awareness that discipates like smoke from a blown out candle. I want her to feel like a girl, not like the Other.

ebfiddler chapter 1 . 9/27/2011
Thank you for writing and posting this story! Slumming, I've been waiting a long time for your next piece...and I don't believe you're rusty at all. I like that you've gone back and explored what's inside River's head before the timeline of your many other fics, because I've always wondered how she got to the point she was at, at the beginning of your series with Voices and On the Ragged Edge. And even though you explained that a little bit with "Hearts in Armor," I'm convinced there's a lot more that you could write to explore how River got from the point she was at in the series to the point you chose to start writing at, before.

I like the way you've written this, from the point of view of inside River's head. It's just the way I picture her thinking, at this point. Very stream-of-consciousness and free-associating, but much more logically organized than the others around her can see. (And with so many well-crafted internal references in your writing, that I can't point them all out. It makes what could be mere "random thoughts" into a very coherent story. And I have read a few River POV fics that seem to be no more than random thoughts ;-) )

Also, the way you describe Mal having glimpses of insight into River that the others don't see-very convincing. One thing that fascinates me about Mal and River's interactions is the way that (without any psychic reading, or paranormal anything) Mal seems to "get" River, unusual as she is, and understands elements of her that the others don't see. I like your paragraph that begins: ""Let her have the gorram boots," he growls….She smiles….he knows, she thinks, the importance of combat boots…."Not suitable for a girl," Simon the boob says. She frowns and looks at the boots, wiggling her toes inside…perfectly suitable. Mal…bad in the Latin, looks at her and sees, just for a moment…fleeting and immediately discarded…the other. "

Some of my other favorite parts:

"….given adequate vacuuming systems". She hears the words, frowns. The voice belongs to the girl…the words to the…other. "

"River, what are you doing?" Simon says. "Come away from the edge."…..She frowns…lives on the edge always, she thinks….how to come away? The edge follows

Gorram needles…the thought needles her….strange thought, that….needle, needling, need...need...what?

So, please, write us some more! Next time, I'll review sooner...was out of town on business when you posted this. I don't know what's up with the authors here at fanfiction firefly, but, with a few exceptions, they don't seem to review each others' stories sense is that the authors at fireflyfans are a little more supportive of one another's work.
librarywitch chapter 1 . 9/24/2011
Man that was a very good desciption of what goes on in the poor child' head. She is such a facinating character. Rusty, who cares if we just get a bit of your wonderful writing. Thanks for the tidbit