Reviews for Familiar and Unfamiliar Summonings
crappycomputer999 chapter 12 . 7/20/2014
continue please
Guest chapter 12 . 7/20/2014
Please don't quit writing this story. I thought it was great that the protagonist was a strong Christian. Especially how following the instructions of the "still small voice" even when it seemed suicidal led to his three-fold curse being removed! That was epic! I can't wait to see how he continues to change the plot, Halkegenia, and the lives of Louise and her friends.
OBSERVER01 chapter 12 . 7/20/2014
Pretty good.i dont mind the religious dont go overboard with it
Sdarian chapter 12 . 7/20/2014
I don't really pay that much attention to the religion of Halkeginia saying that nobles are in charge 'because of god', because it doesn't really matter. You could completely tear down the church and all of it's teachings, and the nobility will still be in charge. It's a simple issue of might equals right. All nobles are mages and have powers that the commoners don't have. Every mage level higher on their power scale is exponentially better then the level before it. They use their powers to ensure that crops are good, to heal wounds, to create buildings that are superior, are better in war, etc...

While modern thought is that everyone is created equal, and this is more or less correct for our world, this is provably false for them. Here one man can fight another and depending on physical abilities being roughly equal have a relatively even chance of winning. A Halkeginia noble against a commoner, even with all physical stats in favor of the commoner, wins because of their magic. A single mage against multiple commoners, depending on the rank of the mage and the number of the commoners, still wins - up to a point. So for them a mage of whatever rank would be worth however many commoners that it took to to overwhelm that level of mage. Or a single mage could ensure the crops of the fields better then any number of commoners could, for a non-violent example. You cannot say to a random person living there that everyone is totally equal and have them believe it when their history has constantly proven that it isn't true.

Think back on all the different reasons and thoughts that elevated nobles in our world. There was nothing in the christian religion that said anything about nobles being better then common people, and yet there were tons of christian nobles who went to war for whatever reasons and the christian commoners had no choice but to obey. This was because the nobles had power over them through their force of arms. This was usually aided by their wealth, allowing them to field even more troops. Nothing in the religion said anything about that, either for or against, and it didn't matter in the slightest either way for them.

So removing the Halkeginia religion that says nobles are in charge and replacing it with Christianity changes nothing. And even on the chance that removing their religion does kick the mages out of power, then so what? The Germanian people have nobles that are simply wealthy non-mages already. I'm sure that those nobles have some way to distinguish themselves as above and more worthy then the commoners they rule over even though they aren't mages just like the nobles in our history did. No matter who is in charge, they generally think of themselves as better then those below them. Even here and now, most middle class people think of themselves as being better then homeless bums.

But none of that really matters in the end. If that's the reason that your SI wants to upend the social order and cause a bunch of war and strife on the area he's in, then that's just as valid to him as any other reason he might want to do so in the story. Depending on how much of a bible-beater he is, his reason could be nothing more then the whole 'worship nothing but this religion, all others are false' thing and decide to take down the church for that reason. It's not like that would be anything new for Christians.
The Mad Mad Reviewer chapter 12 . 7/20/2014
I read through most of your author's note, and had to laugh. I also took a glance at the reviews, and had to ask myself "Really? They've read this far into the story, and they're only now complaining about it?"

I just have to shake my head.

Eitherway, if you do continue this, it'll be lots of fun watching Jaeger tear it all down, and rebuild it into something better.
Ninjamaster-255 chapter 12 . 7/20/2014
I for one thought it was awesome when he was talking about his faith in that fight and his change i got chills (the good kin ) down my spine

meant to say something earlier but forgot
greed11 chapter 12 . 7/20/2014
Bravo for standing up and staying with our faith. I do like how you are combining the mythos of Helkagania with the faith.

You are obviously putting lots of thought and work into this story and it shows. Thank you for your effort.

I don't think you should get preachy in this story. At least not with the tone you used. There are places and times for things. Here, I think, is NOT one of them. At least, not with this particular tone. Getting preachy turns people AWAY from you, and we are called to be a light to the world, not a damning force.
Just let their screaming be, and keep on writing. What does it matter if they scream? You are still being heard, everytime you write a chapter.

And yes, your relationship with Christ will continue to show, which is what you want. The world will ALWAYS scream about that.
dragoon109 chapter 12 . 7/20/2014
question!

i dont know what do you mean the part of " modern media" what makes it what you say it iss?

2. also i have no problem with the story style. BUT i do have a question... a macanhic question. how can a event such as this or any other dimension crossing, summoning, god or other worldy beings, affect other worlds or realities that may have there own powers that be or natural law with out consequence? its sort of like what i would expect what would happen when a physic goes into spider mans head and encounters his spider since/web of life.

3. you mention dugeon crawler as if it is something specific... what is it? what do you mean?
Stromsten chapter 12 . 7/20/2014
I only know ZnT from your playing with it, so I imagine that the Halkeginian religion is the Shintoist view of the Roman Catholic church. You would be in a much better position to judge the consequences of that misunderstanding than I, but I would be interested in a chapter on that, whether or not it's a continuation of Dungeon Crawler. Anyway, I applaud the steadfast morality of your work, and didn't find the overt Christianity of the last chapter at all inconsistent, nor at all surprising.
Stromsten chapter 11 . 7/20/2014
No, no, your re-writes are great! It's very forceful and the best chapter yet! Also, the Christian nature of your hero and the Christian viewpoint of the story is NECESSARY to both the characters and plot and INTEGRAL to the resolution. This is Christianity in action, and why you are one of my favourite authors.
Faraway-R chapter 12 . 7/20/2014
So.

Let's address the points.
1) Louise is a horned humanoid now... I really can't quite fathom why.
2) Jaeger is suddenly a dragon. You're going to have to point out somewhat, how and why he became one.
3) The story is done for now. I will take that statement under the same measure as "That is Not a Moon Cat", Arc 1, is. That it will continue, and that it will continue as a different plot arc.
4) Christianity in the story. I do not have any bones to pick with that. At least, so long as it's not proselytizing.

5) Morality debates. As a "card-carrying" "philosopher" (aka someone who clearly hasn't been in situations where his, or in this case mine, worldview and/or morality issues could have been tested) I subscribe to "doing the right thing" as some parts schadenfreude that is directed at villains, some parts because it's how I would hope my problems would be helped resolved, should any arise... And some parts because I take a dim view on forcibly and malevolently twisting someone (aka torture, brainwashing, abuse) because I would loathe to be on the recieving end. I've once read that in Dresden Files, immortals are absolutely loathe to part with even part of their power, because it's directly tied to their purpose, and they cannot stand it, cannot stand becoming LESS. I can relate, because I also want to see others become MORE, without becoming untrue to their past selves.
Furry fatface mr chapter 12 . 7/20/2014
Man, I wish Jaeger had learned more Harry Potter magic, then he'd be able to pull a Crouch.

"Pull a Crouch?" You say?

Indeed.

Lock the Pope in a cellar, take a few hairs from his balding scalp and pretend to be him. For a year. Until an erstwile hero pops up and vanquishes you
Dragish chapter 11 . 7/20/2014
This has one of the best religious tractates I have heard in a long while. If I was not more secured in my religion this would have swayed me. I have enjoyed this story immensely but hope to see the cross with Sailor Moon next on your update list.
joshlamont chapter 12 . 7/20/2014
Honestly? Having a character with a strong Christian morality was refreshing. You just don't *see* that outside of Christian fiction, which is either extremely preachy or nauseatingly full of platitudes. I loved seeing a character that was full-stop unbending in his morality, but understanding of others because *that is who his Savior was*

And that bit with the messenger was just typical of how those things go. Never a word on why you're doing this (seeming) crazyiness, just a command to do it and trust. And then it turns out way better than anything you could have thought of.
tphod chapter 12 . 7/20/2014
Only one question, why don't you turn 'Dungeon Crawler in Halkengenia' into a separate fanfict? It is long enough to deserve so.
476 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »