Reviews for Awake!
sian22 chapter 1 . 12/18/2014
Lovely..absolutely lovely. The imagery and the idea behind the sections is beautiful
The Wayfaring Strangers chapter 1 . 1/6/2014
Ohhhhh... This gave me the shivers when I realized what part of the story it was from. I never thought about that scene from Faramir's perspective, but this is lovely, a story well-told.
5SecstoThrowItFB chapter 1 . 7/12/2013
This must be before Finduilas died... only slowly does the question come on... could it be... and then it is.
Sauron's torments are ingenious indeed: luring him into his dream world with his every longing fulfilled until the transformation from Man to Wraith is complete, and how cruel it would be for that to all turn to darkness...
You're clever!
HeroesAmongUs chapter 1 . 11/10/2012
Wow. Super opening lines. Great description and use of words. I get a very dark atmospheric feeling to this. I love this line "fused together with skill that now was lost" It just sounds great and old. Like the words fit in with the Tolkien universe. I'm not a massive fan of this canon but I was very much griped by your story. The words all fitted nicely together. This whole story seemed to flow like a stream. Incredibly beautiful, well done.
SkywardDiamond chapter 1 . 10/20/2012
This is obviously based on something in the book which I am not familiar with, but, I love Faramir to pieces and had to dive into this :p I think he's a gentle yet heroic type, a character who deserved more attention in the movies, but we know how that goes.
This fic has a rhythm going on, with how Faramir's name is repeated between descriptions, as well as the phrase "He woke, and see! it was a dream." and the like. This adds to the Tolkien feel because he emphasized singing and music so much in his books. I think rhythm is a big part of it, and I like that you incorporated that.
When his father (Denethor, correct?) asked him if what he saw in his nightmare was a 'wave', I immediately thought of the scene with Eowyn when she recalls her dream to Aragorn where she stands on a precipice and a great wave is coming. Are these supposed to be connected? I found it interesting, considering these two characters eventually get together.
I was struck by the tenderness of Faramir's father, as he is only portrayed as, well, a jerk in the movies which is what I am most familiar with.
I can see why your fics win contests. You capture that Tolkien writing style quite well, which I imagine is very hard. And you combine it with vivid imagery and of course that regal dialogue. It's very authentic.
My favorite part is when Faramir sees his brother on the ship, and he grows sickly as if he is dead. That part really struck me as frightening.
My favorite lines: "But his movements became sluggish and slow. His limbs would not move. Cold crept over him and his brother's face paled; grew sickly and dead."
"Then he felt it: a scent of sun and spring, like the memory of dewy mornings of unshadowed sun."
" The ground underneath him was warm and soft, smelling of earth and sun and green grass. Beyond the light he glimpsed blue skies and the wind was soft against his cheek. He smiled."
Vampcoffee chapter 1 . 10/19/2012
In terms of atmosphere, this hits the mark for me. Your imagery is very dark where is needs to be and vibrant and alive in the contrasting scenes. I'm not familiar with the side characters of LotR but the feelings here are real, sorrow and obsession juxtaposed with joyous laughter. Nearly everything here works together nicely.

Your wording is good too, however there were some hiccups.
-Black sky above, and the air were full of crows.-
Should that be 'was'? It seems to me the sky and air are separate in this sentence.

-and the cold slowly over overcame him. Froze him until his body was stiff, -
'Over' should not be here. Also, the following sentence is missing something grammatically. I would suggest combining it with the proceeding sentence.

-He opened his eye.-
Either 'eye' should be plural, or you should specify opening only one as in 'an eye'.

-his face turned up and he waived.-
If he is waving his hand, replace 'waived' with 'waved'.
Virtuella chapter 1 . 9/27/2011
Excellent! Very stark and surreal, and the many layers of the dream work so well!
silverswath chapter 1 . 9/26/2011
This is lovely!
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 9/26/2011
You captured the horror of the dreams caused by the Black Breath got one of my Teitho votes.