Reviews for A Day in the Impala, 1987
Angelus 408 chapter 1 . 10/8/2017
Yes Sir, got to love that Dean !
Thanks
Lisa Smithers chapter 1 . 8/10/2017
Wow... I'd love to read more like this. The weight John puts on Dean's shoulders, even at such a young age...
Orion6317 chapter 1 . 9/12/2016
This is an old story for you, but new for me. And I've absolutely loved it. Thank you for sharing it.
smokeyadrenaline chapter 1 . 2/23/2013
:( :( :(
You really have a way of writing that reinforces the characters in the show. I can so see how these are the memories that's really made dean into who he is. You write these 'day in the impala' snippets so well.
And i wanna beat up john winchester now.
sylia91 chapter 1 . 9/29/2011
This was chilling and sad. I had some problem not wanting to whup John upside the head. Did he even realize what kind of burden he was laying on Dean? I also pictured the days, then weeks, months and years pass by that Dean kept deferring and John's promise that this was temporary was just conveniently forgotten.
LoveTheCoat chapter 1 . 9/26/2011
I think you really, truly, broke my heart with this one. This was so unsettling and terrible and somehow exactly what I imagine might have happened.

You really tricked me, too! It started out so happy (and I really loved the freckles moment). Then suddenly it became so much more emotional; starting with the cobbler. That was a wonderful call back to the show (made me immediately think of "Dark Side of the Moon"); and so haunting. For a little boy of 8 to be given so much responsibility. Man.

Finally, as much as this hurt me to read (in a good, sadistic way), it was wonderfully written. Again-I do love how you write these characters, specifically young Dean. I can see how what you've done here feeds directly into "Something Wicked".

I'll say it again, I look forward to the next installment.
Twinchester Angel chapter 1 . 9/26/2011
*applause* You just rock my world. I hafta say. This? This was incredible. It was such a profound look into Dean's head at that age and I'm just in awe and saddened at how much Dean knew and HAD to know at 8. The drills his dad taught him, the exact order of everything, it's just so telling. Again, I have to say, that I don't hate John. I feel like he did what he had to do. Even if he was a bit obsessive about it. But he knew all the monsters and demons and everything evil out there only had to be right one time to get his boys. But the the Winchesters had to be right every single time to protect themselves. I can't even imagine the fear, pressure and desperation John must have gone through the more he learned about what happened to his wife and everything else that happens out there that most people don't know about. The fear of losing his boys to something evil like he lost his wife is enough to make anybody driven like that. Obviously this was an extremely important hunt. And obviously it didn't go the way John planned but I love that you added, several times, how John didn't want things to be like this. He didn't want to move around constantly and he wanted his boys to have a home. I also think the more John learned about what was really after his family, the more desperate he got and the more focused and obsessed he got, which just fueled his need to be tough on the boys - for their safety. "I'm not trying to scare you, Dean, I'm just trying to make you strong for Sammy, for all of us." I believe all John could see at that point was survival. The survival of his boys. And I believe him when he said he didn't want to ask this of Dean but he didn't have any other choice. I love how Dean knew taking care of Sammy was his job. Teaching him to tie his shoes, reading to him, tending to his wounds. He was the only mother Sammy had - and by that I mean that if Sammy got any nurturing growing up, it was all from Dean. Oh and OMG you broke my heart when you wrote how Dean lost his appetite for the cobbler when the woman leaned through the door and asked if he wanted milk. He didn't understand why he was upset by that but clearly he was missing his mom. That made me tear up a bit. And oh my gosh do I love how you write Sammy! "Bye Goat!" Hahaha! That was absolutely adorable! I laughed out loud at that. You write all of these characters so true to character and so realistically it's almost like you have an inside connection to Kripke's head. I can't believe how quickly you got this one up! I was sooooo excited! I'm afraid you may be spoiling me. I'm gonna pimp your stories out to all of my SPN friends cuz they are an absolute must-read. You always make me think about what makes all the Winchesters tick and I love that about your stories. Your writing is always so perfectly descriptive and no matter whose POV you're writing from, it's always exactly how I think that character would think about things. It was so nice and so sad all at once to think of the boys playing on this farm and having a small taste of normal. But I really loved how you added that staying in the same place and going to the same school longer than a few weeks didn't really appeal to Dean. I don't think Dean will ever completely lose the feeling of restlessness whenever he tries to stay in one spot. I think he accepted that his life was moving around and Sam and the Impala were his home at a very young age. It's sad but like John said "It is what it is" I just adored this. Another one knocked out of the park, my friend. Just brilliant. Can't wait for more from you! *hugs*
moira4eku chapter 1 . 9/26/2011
Can I just say I hate John. Poor Dean. I well imagine that this is just what happened to Dean at that age. Poor kid, only 8 years old. I see the 8 year old kids in my classroom and I just can't imagine any of them having to do what Dean did. Thanks for a great one shot.
Ainaof chapter 1 . 9/26/2011
Oh wow. So sad and touching and funny all at once. I love little Sammy and the image of Dean tearing around the farm just being a kid. I like your portrayal of John - I even like him most of the time in the story. I'll admit I wanted to smack him upside the head a time or two though. But the heartbreaking line for me? "If I can't go out and do this job... then we're going to be trapped in this car forever..." Just the idea that John believed at some point he was close to ending all this and giving the boys a semi-normal life? Gut-wrenching for all of the characters. Nice work!
Mags205 chapter 1 . 9/26/2011
Oh, guh! So sad, but an honest portrayal of Dean and John's relationship, I think. Loved the hardness of John here and Dean's 'not really understanding' what it all means yet (which I'm quite sure will change rather rapidly). And finally, Sammy, happy-go-lucky little guy...he presents kind of a port in the upcoming storm, if that makes any sense, because he's oblivious at this point-still just a kid and that breaks my heart for both the boys. Well done! Love your writing style.

Thanks
melitta4ever chapter 1 . 9/26/2011
"...the only kid in the kindergarten who couldn't tie his shoes..."

Just killed me right there.

And loved the randomness in Sam's acts.

Thanks for sharing,