Reviews for Beyond the Vale
blueshifting chapter 28 . 12/17/2019
This is such an excellent fic. I reread it periodically, and I love it every time.
DgirlLuna chapter 22 . 6/9/2019
Oh my lanta. She KILLED him?! Totally did not expect that! The poor dude :(

Love the story, by the way! Epic job!
laorart chapter 4 . 6/9/2019
Arthur loosened all his dignity in the eyes of Lance
Luck after so much time
LUCK
sighted...
laorart chapter 4 . 6/9/2019
PFFF ,As if ...XD
dragondancer123 chapter 28 . 10/5/2018
Oh that bittersweet ending. I loved how the whole riddle wasn't based on someone just being a good person. I just loved how you made it into something deeper and more meaningful. Just kudos to you!
Toby Hamee 'Seer Hork-Bajir chapter 28 . 5/6/2018
Epic! Simply epic and unique! Honestly, I was waiting for a "magic revealed" story, but it wasn't necessary, the story couldn't be the same without the classic Merlin's "keep the magic hidden". This fic is amazing and your style for write is surprising, each chapter is full of emotion and suspense for keep reading and arrives at the end.
Your characters were amazing and I think, they were so human, so reals; especially Arthur dealing with his feelings for Merlin, and consequently, with Lancelot, Gwaine, and Elyan. The ending was plain, exact, more would have been unnecessary. Thank you!
Em chapter 28 . 12/5/2017
Wow. This was phenomenal. I seriously mean it.

I think you need to set your sights higher. This narrative captivated me every second I was reading it, and the whole time I was thinking that you could make this into a book. Although merlin is a phenomenal character (I mean, come on), you could very easily invent your own with his or her own narrative.

Take this, add to it and publish it. I would happily read anything you write. You're VERY talented.
Honyasbookshelf2017 chapter 28 . 10/20/2017
I’ve mentioned before how much I enjoy BeyondTheStorm’s writing (such as Healing Spells), and Beyond the Vale may just be my favorite of this author’s stories to date. There are just so many aspects of it that are really enjoyable. The writing style is quite pleasant to read, for one, and it captures Merlin’s sass nicely. The choice of characters to involve in this story was interesting, but I found I liked the dynamics of this particular group. Seeing more of Lancelot and Elyan, in particular, was fun, and I always love when Gwaine is involved in a Merlin fic. Everyone felt in character, and it was really neat to see the character development over the course of the story. There were some well-written and interesting original characters as well who added a lot to the story. Actually, that’s another thing I like about this particular author’s work: there are almost always great OCs who have a lot of character development and who are integral to the plot (which is also usually quite complex and developed, yay!). I found the author’s choice to make this story a reveal of a lot of what Merlin has done for Arthur and for Camelot without revealing that he has magic to be very interesting. But you know what? It works. And it’s cool to see Arthur and the knights (even Lancelot, who knows about Merlin’s magic) truly appreciate the kind of person Merlin is and the sacrifices he’s made–without the complications of betrayal and such that bringing his magic into the picture entails. I enjoyed seeing the relationship developments that occurred as a result. And yes, the plot! Fascinating story drenched in history, with plenty of mystery and tension to go around. The story is very well developed and executed. Highly recommended.
cuthalion chapter 28 . 9/28/2017
Hi!

I don't know if you still receive reviews from your stories, but I'll post one just in case. :) I have a habit of posting a review only if there is something remarkable about it, and only after I've read the entire story . . . because of course I can't stop reading long enough to write, which is why you only have one review instead of twenty-eight. Also, for the record, I started this story last night, slept for an hour and a half, and finished it fifteen minutes ago. Then I went and read your author page. ;) Highly amusing. . .

I have a fair amount of writing experience myself (all of six years - cue the drum roll and trumpet fanfare) and I very much enjoy coming across LONG fan fiction stories that are not painful to read.

Wow, okay, that didn't exactly come across as a compliment, did it? . . . Ahem. Take two: I really like this story, because the story itself is good; the character development is good - and, more importantly, believable; and because I was not forced to constantly stop and wince at grammar and spelling errors. A true boon! :)

So, I'm still working on not giving 'negative compliments'. I suppose a better way to say that would be that I enjoyed reading a story with good grammar and spelling. AND punctuation. ;D

I was actually quite surprised when I read that you didn't - well - read all that much. (Apart from fan fiction, if I understood correctly.) I've read a lot. And I mean a LOT. . . and I'm only just really getting my writing style well-polished. I have yet to try writing fan fiction, though . . . hmm, might be fun . . . At any rate, well done! :)

Now, I said that the character development was believable. Here, I am forced to be honest - I haven't actually watched more than four episodes of Merlin (. . . and a whole bunch of random clips on Youtube. . .), so I don't know if I can actually make that claim. However, it is a peculiarity of mine that whenever I 'get into' watching a TV series, I will often do more fan fiction reading than watching. At least at first. 'Bonanza', 'Stargate SG-1', 'Clone Wars', and now 'Merlin'. Like I said earlier, though, I'm highly selective about which stories I actually read. I'll often open one, read the first few paragraphs, and then - depending on if the writing is good or if it just feels like an artificial angst-fest -I'll continue reading. SO . . . yeah. I'm rambling because I haven't had coffee yet and I stupidly stayed up almost all night. I noticed you seemed to do that a lot, too. ;D

Anyway, thanks for the enjoyable story, and I'll definitely be reading your other ones. I'll post reviews on those as soon as I'm done - which might not be for a couple of days, due to some self-editing that I've been . . . well, ignoring, despite some slight twinges of conscience . . .

Last note: of this particular story, the most enjoyable aspect was the plot. I always loved the 'classic'-type fairytales - including (SURPRISE!) King Arthur stories - and the whole idea of the cursed kingdom definitely had a Camelot-type flavor to it. :)

You've reached the end! Congratulations! ;D

~ Cuthalion
FlamingPhoenix7 chapter 28 . 9/8/2017
It was fantastic! I loved it! I love the originality of it!
ninagayler chapter 28 . 7/29/2017
This is one of the most remarkable stories I have ever read! I love the theme of opening up and healing, of trust, love, acceptance. True agape love like what Christ has for us. It's a Christian story by theme if not intent. And maybe a story that fits other religions, too. It is the greatest theme of all regardless of your religious beliefs. You executed this so well. You are a great writer and this is your masterpiece. Your plot kept me in suspense and never lagged. You portrayed the characters with depth and understanding. I hope you continue writing, not just for fanfiction, but something original that you can publish. You have a gift that needs to be shared. Thank you so very much for writing this story and sharing it with me and all your other readers. If you publish something somewhere else, original or not, message me, so I can have the opportunity to read it. I am already following you as one of my favorite authors on fanfiction.
ninagayler chapter 19 . 7/29/2017
An awesome psychological thriller!
ninagayler chapter 18 . 7/29/2017
This story has me spellbound. I cannot stop reading it.
bowties-scarves-and-magic chapter 28 . 5/24/2017
wow. Just wow. This is THE MOST amazing, heart touching, adventure, friendship, suspenseful, sad, happy, well written story I have read in a longtime! if you are wondering if you should take the time to read it, yes, you must! warning, I couldn't put it down to even finish my homework, so be warned to be utterly captivated by this story!
TheEdifier chapter 28 . 3/18/2017
Fantastic story. Captivatingly creative and wonderfully written characterization. I really appreciate the quality throughout the story. Seeing the progression of Arthur's almost taking Merlin for granted at the start to the story finishing with him acknowledging Merlin loyalty and their friendship. What a wonderful way to end it and show some progression!

Thank you for all the work you put into this fic, it shows. I appreciate you sharing it!