Reviews for Beyond the Vale
B chapter 28 . 5/10/2013
I completely enjoyed this fic. :D
It reminded me of Wuthering Heights so much, I don't know if you did it on purpose or if it's just a coincidence but the story with the mist made me think of the wiley, and there were ghosts, souls and a castle... maybe that's just me, imagining things. :)
So many emotions and magic and a great plot. You really wrote an awesome story and the fact that there's no reveal is absolutely not a problem. Everyone is starting to trust Merlin, especially Arthur and it's great.
Thank you for this fic, it was well written and, since you asked to point out the mistakes, in the last chapter, at some point you wrote "prince" instead of "price". Also, in some of the latest chapters, I remember reading "then" instead of "than" and "at" instead of "as" but I don't remember where exactly (sorry, I know this won't help a lot).
Anyway, it's quite rare to read a fic in which there are almost no mistakes like yours so thank you also for this, it's really appreciated.
fire chapter 28 . 4/20/2013
no ,you don't have to write a sequel ,this ending is beautiful
TheWhispersWhichFlowGrey chapter 28 . 3/29/2013
Oh My Dear God! I practically devoured these few last chapters. I'm sorry, I couldn't keep up the Highlight of the chapter thing, I was just too much in a hurry to see what would happen next, but i promise I'll come back and review all of them.
This was a very, very good story. I've never taken so much interest in non-reveal Merlin fanficiton in my entire life, and if I have, it's always been oneshots.
I cannot express how my heart started pounding when I got to the part about Merlin's wound, because honestly-I was Arthur! I had no idea the wound was so deep! In my mind it was something small, nothing too serious. It kinda dawned on me(or rather hit me like a brick wall) at the same time it did Arthur.
This was just a beautiful ending. I can only imagine the expression on the faces of those in the village.
The thing is, only the best books and stories get me thinking so much, and this one did: I'm talking about the part about life being precious and all that. Made me realize, again, how much time we lose and how much we spend not appreciating and not actually living to the fullest.
I've rambled on for a while, haven't I? Your stories seem to have that effect on me.
Okay, let me choose a final highlight, for the final chapter.
"Its bark shown like gold, the leaves glittering like silver and crystals in the sunlight, but what truly had them all enraptured was the sight of a young man with rust colored hair and eyes like jade sitting at the base of the tree, nestled safely between its roots with a girl garbed entirely in white asleep in his arms."
I choose this, because Rhoshad was an amazing character and I really liked him and because there are just so many I could choose.
Thank you for writing this and I wish you good luck Till next time
Guest chapter 14 . 3/28/2013
Highlight of the chapter: "He knew that it was extremely foolish and probably more than a little naïve to believe in the words of a voice he couldn't hear that belonged to someone he didn't know who may or may not even exist…but then again, he wasn't exactly known for being rational. Why start now?"
The hint of irony makes me believe Merlin is better, or at least getting there. Anyway, it was nice and I liked it. I think I might've missed a chapter, I've been reading too fast in the last hour, but I'll go back and see:D Can't miss my "Highlight of the chapter" now, can I?
Guest chapter 13 . 3/28/2013
Highlight of the chapter: "and that thing in his chest that he was fairly certain was supposed to be his heart clenched again." Nice wording:)
It's really good to see Arthur finally realizing how much Merlin has done for him without actually realizing it(because he has no clue about his magic and what exactly has happened). But that just makes it all all the more real.
TheWhispersWhichFlowGrey chapter 11 . 3/28/2013
Highlight of the chapter: "'…She had no right,' he whispered, clenching his fists around the grass beneath him. 'She had no right.'"
Because his anger was so perfectly put there.
Can't wait to see what happens:D
TheWhispersWhichFlowGrey chapter 10 . 3/28/2013
Highlight of the chapter: "She stood completely still her eyes unblinking, and Merlin knew without a shadow of a doubt that he certainly wasn't going to be the one to draw that haunting stare. Someone else could have a go at it. He hadn't wanted to come here in the first place."
I like his crabby attitude here. It's hilarious:))
The bit about the mist was a nice touch.
TheWhispersWhichFlowGrey chapter 9 . 3/28/2013
Highlight of the chapter: "No matter how far they went, the mist remained thick and confining, never thinning out or lifting even for a moment… Until suddenly it did."
I can't exactly tell you why I liked this s much, but I did. It felt like a slap in the face.
One moment I was lazily reading, relaxing in my slow reading pace, and then... "Until it suddenly did". Blink. Perk up. Huh?
Du du du duuum. This is getting interesting.
TheWhispersWhichFlowGrey chapter 8 . 3/28/2013
Maybe it's because I was expecting it-or rather not expecting it-to happen, but I didn't mind the fact that the magical reveal has been averted. I actually liked it, and believe me, that is something. Because whenever people dodge magic being revealed like the show does, I get frustrated. That's why I was afraid of this story in the first place.
But, like I said before, I needn't have worried. I loved the fact that they didn't find out and have to agree with you: anything else would change the dynamic drastically. And I like this dynamic.
Also, the scene with Lancelot at the beginning was probably part of why I loved the almost-reveal so much. It was so... God! I was amazing. I realize now I never really considered Lancelot too much, he's usually not in my stories, but actually he's an amazing character.
Highlight of the chapter: "The moment he saw those bright eyes, lit with undeniable magic, Lancelot knew he only had mere moments to make a decision, to do something, and staring at Merlin in shock wasn't an option."
Because there was just something about the way a he covered for his friend. The thing that would've given Merlin's deadly secret away was something as simple as golden eyes, and there was something about Lancelot hiding his friend's eyes that... I don't know. It moved me so much and I don't even know why.
My advice is to never stop writing, because you're good at it.
TheWhispersWhichFlowGrey chapter 7 . 3/28/2013
Okay, Okay, calming down now... Ignore that up here... Had to get it out.
Alright, highlight of the chapter: "For someone who seemed so simple, the idiot was anything but." Because it defines him perfectly.
TheWhispersWhichFlowGrey chapter 6 . 3/28/2013
Highlight of the chapter: "Arthur spent one last moment deciding if he really wanted to do this, because despite being a brilliant idea, it was rather underhanded and had the potential to result in disaster (and bodily harm if the knights found out), but all it took was remembering how ill and despondent Merlin had looked that morning for his mind to be made up."
"And bodily harm if the knights found out" :)) Oh my god that was so accurate
Nice one.
TheWhispersWhichFlowGrey chapter 5 . 3/28/2013
Highlight of the chapter: "Elyan had called him Arthur."
I like this because of its simplicity. It says so much about both Arthur and Elyan in so little words. In the show, they don't-didn't-bother too much with Arthur's relationship with the other knights-or rather how it came to be. I like that you considered the fact that the knights of the round table are all relatively new here. Not many people bother to write about their progress, and I'm glad you're not one of them. Again, Gwaine's earlier suspicion also fall into this category. Nice.
TheWhispersWhichFlowGrey chapter 4 . 3/28/2013
I'm going to start something that is called "Highlight of the chapter" project.
So, Highlight of the chapter: "And who knows, he mused quietly to himself as a barmaid wandered over to see if he wanted anything to eat, maybe this time we really will have no trouble.

When a group of bandits ran into the clearing, swords swinging and voices raised, Arthur cursed that stupid, damning thought for ever having crossed his mind."

Oh, and I wonder if Gwaine will find out. I mean, I know this isn't a reveal story, but he's not exactly Arthur and even though he might fall under the reveal category, he was just too suspicious in this chapter. And something tells me he'll continue to be so.
I actually liked that bit a lot, because now that I think about it, Gwaine was just as oblivious as all of them in the series, which doesn't exactly make sense. Nice touch:D
Onward! (And I'm not stealing your word, just so you know:D)
TheWhispersWhichFlowGrey chapter 3 . 3/28/2013
It's amazing how just one line can convey so much. "'You should've said something,'" There's something about Arthur saying that to his sleeping and worn out friend... it just broke my heart and filled it with fuzziness:D Just here to remind you that you have a way with words. This would've definitely been another highlight.
Again quoting you, Onward!
TheWhispersWhichFlowGrey chapter 1 . 3/28/2013
This was a great beginning. Gods, you are a good writer. I generally don't like reading non-reveal stories, the show has teased us enough in all of the five seasons, but I just finished your "Of twisted morals and human weaponry" (and let me express again how utterly brilliant it was) and I've also read your "Healing spells", and I really needed to read something else written by you, because you're just bloody brilliant and I love your writing. If that original series works out and you ever get published, I am already a fan.
Honestly, I was afraid I wasn't going to like this as much as your other stories because of the whole not-revealing-magic thing, but as it turns out I needn't have bothered.
You got me from the very beginning. The prologue thingy was pure brilliance, and this chapter has just sealed my fate. I'm going to read your story and enjoy it, just like your other stories, magic reveal or not. You're too brilliant for me not to.
Sorry, just wanted to put this here.
Oh, and one more thing. I have a kindle, and whenever I read a book I always end up highlighting a lot of said book. Let me tell you that I would be highlighting like crazy if that were possible:) This would have been my first highlight: "Needless to say everything had simply gone downhill from there, and really, what part of 'no one has ever returned' translated into 'well, Merlin, we have an old, mysterious, and clearly magical castle to find, so why are you just standing there when clearly you should be packing?'". I literally burst into laughter at that.
Well, I've a bad tendency to blabber on, so enough of me. Let's read more of you:D
To use your word, Onward!
715 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »