Reviews for The Darkest Night
mysticexarch chapter 20 . 3/2
Can someone please explain to me why every Tali/Shepard writer feels it necessary to use flashy, complicated Quarian lore to explain why Tali is so obsessed with him, and depressed that he is dead? Why do her feelings need to be justified by saying that Quarians have some special super-emotion or something like that makes them more emotional than humans? It would be much more relatable to simply say she loved him and is depressed that he is dead. Readers aren't dumb, we can understand that and sympathize with her without needing special lore to make that make sense. Personally, I find Tali a really relatable and likeable character becuase she seems to have problems and emotions that humans in real life struggle with, in comparison to other Mass Effect characters who are "larger than life", so to speak. I see a lot of myself in her. I think your drama would have been better served if you humanized her. That's an inspiring message, to say that we can find similar qualities in other species.
Oh come on, you're really going to make Joker a proxy for shepherd by having him romance a quarian girl who just happens eerily similar to Tali? That's cheesy AF. Their relationship even has all the cringy tropes of the Sheperd/Tali ship fics. Yeah, I like those tropes but only when it's Sheperd and Tali doing them. Joker is not Shep, and making him the exact same is kinda uninspired to be honest. And it makes Shep seem like a less interesting character if someone else is coping his schtick. It comes off like you just wanted to write Shep/Tali but couldn't becuase Shep isn't back yet, so you used Joker and Lia as proxy. It's really contrived.

However, I really dig the story so far as a whole. You have good dialogue, and write the characters competently without going completely out of character, unlike some authors who completely change Tali's personality by interjecting a lot of weird Quarian lore. You have some very creative ideas for bridging the series, and some of your plot threads sound like bright ideas that could have been used in a novel, had Bioware not obviously wanted to spoil the plot of ME2. And I have to respect that you're not beating the dead horse for 20 chapters with the whole "Hey guys, do you get that Tali is sad?" thing. All in all, and this is a very captivating read.
TheLastReckoning chapter 32 . 1/13
Absolutely fantastic story! I loved everything about it, especially the Joker/Lia pairing, which was a great addition. You did an excellent job setting the groundwork for events in ME2, and explaining how each character found themselves in those events. Great job, moving on to For We Are Many.
Electric 777 chapter 15 . 10/8/2016
It's, a nice fic but the Joker/Lia pairing is a little offputting considering how he is set to be involved with EDI in ME3, and considering that they never even know of each others existence in any of the games.
Jeinenneiwmdncnd chapter 20 . 4/27/2016
Absolutely amazing story
reallyfreakingnerdy chapter 3 . 3/4/2015
Goddamn I love Joker sometimes. Wonderfully written and poignant.
mordreek chapter 33 . 11/15/2014
Still rereading this and enjoying every minute of it. Haven't heard from you in awhile and I hope you are doing well my friend
Jaeger Gipsy Danger chapter 13 . 9/10/2014
Karin Chakwas, not Carol
thepkrmgc chapter 33 . 7/8/2014
its interesting to see the thinking behind this work, i dont review glossarys so i would like to end this review chain by saying that this fic really doesnt need the M rating, and aside from garrus's teams last stand most of the stuff isnt even T
thepkrmgc chapter 32 . 7/8/2014
yay for fever dreams!
thepkrmgc chapter 31 . 7/8/2014
nice post-shep character development for tali, shame thats going to be torn to shreds later that misson
thepkrmgc chapter 30 . 7/8/2014
that explains why tarak held off on using all those mechs until shep gets there, but why didnt ripper get told that erash was going to blow the place?
thepkrmgc chapter 29 . 7/8/2014
i cant bring myself to ship jacob/miranda, im of the opinion that miranda and the rest of the pro cerberus crew should be fired out of the airlock
thepkrmgc chapter 28 . 7/8/2014
while i was expecting more of a 300 last stand the characterisation you've woven into this balacnes things out
thepkrmgc chapter 27 . 7/7/2014
good build up but how would sidonis write his apology with laser scoring, there arent portable energy weapons in the mass effect verse