Reviews for In the Evening of Life
murphycat chapter 6 . 8/11/2013
So sad and tragic, but interesting.
Barbara Lambert chapter 6 . 7/24/2013
As much as it pains me to say this, "I loved your story." It was so sad. Made me cry to think of my two favorite characters being so unhappy at the end. do you plan to write more Perry and Della? maybe you could write one with a happy ending!
Queen of Spiritual chapter 6 . 12/12/2011
Sad ending. I'll look forward to more Perry Mason stories from you in near future.
razraz chapter 6 . 12/7/2011
Thank you for this story. It was beautiful.

(I'd still love to have sneaked a peak on what Perry and Della spoke about the night before her marriage).

raz
tengland2 chapter 6 . 12/1/2011
Wonderfully done. In tears- Not surprised at Laura's way out. Nice of Richard to call Perry, always knowing he loved Della as well.
Annie chapter 6 . 11/30/2011
Isn't it amazing how true love with stand all detours and bad decisions? The time Perry had with Della and what she was... and still remaind... to him could hold him together and help him go on even after her death.

How kind of Richard to call Perry and to be willing to partner with him to remember Della in such a great way. Della chose well.

I'm sorry that Laura felt she had to end her life, but I sure wouldn't have wanted to live the path she chose. She had the choice to try and live up to what Perry thought he saw in her and chose not too. We all have a choice to change our thought processes and actions no matter our background or what has come our way. For some it is simply much easier than others, and I believe Perry would have helped Laura to gain his integrity and the positive goals had she wanted to and come to him for help or even silently tried to imitate him. She simply didn't have the desire or will to do it. Not all of us have the innate kindness of Della but we can all strive to embrace it as much as possible.

This will never be a story I will enjoy or maybe even go back to, but I do appreciate the way it was written and I think you did a great job. Thank goodness it is an A/U that stayed in character and didn't make the characters into simply something you wanted them to be. That adds a lot of 'truth' to an A/U and separates it from many others.
Ter chapter 6 . 11/30/2011
Alright you made me cry. Well done.
likes-it-bubbly chapter 6 . 11/30/2011
Oh, I can't stand this although I feared it would come. :( So much sadness. I simply cannot bear to image Della gone. Laura I don't care so much about, which is shocking to be honest. But her death still got me for Perry's sake. I definitely loved the friendship you described between Perry & Richard after Della's passing and the foundation in her name.

Still. I cannot cope with Della gone and cling to my favorite line in this chapter: "She, the most life affirming and loving creature he had ever met, told Perry in his dreams to go on for her sake and every time he wanted to give up, her voice was gently whispering in his ear."

I'm very curious about your next endeavor now, dear. :)
Michelle Weiner chapter 6 . 11/30/2011
Even though the ending was so sad and hard to read I have loved/hated this story. It was beautifully written and showed us just how fragile life can be.

Hope to read another one of your stories soon
Captain Weirdo chapter 6 . 11/30/2011
This knot in my gut has your name written all over it, Grace. :D You ended this well. The whole story has had me on the edge of my seat.

I hated/loved it. You've nothing to make up for, but I'm certainly waiting for your next story with ferocious anticipation!

cw
Queen of Spiritual chapter 5 . 11/22/2011
Good chapter but sorry the story is ending. Hope you post another Perry Mason story sooner or later!
likes-it-bubbly chapter 5 . 11/22/2011
Oh wow, this left me emotionally torn. I definitely love Richard and for some lines I felt for Laura and then again I found I couldn't. I'm too much team Della. LoL. And yet again, it would be so wrong for them to just cheat on their spouses. But I agree with your character Richard that they would never run away. And yet I hope that they will spend the rest of their time together, as the couple they deserve to be. :) And were until Laura destroyed it all.

did I mention I love bittersweet, dear? Thanks so much. I can't wait to see how this ends. You've definitely already broken my heart. :) :)
Michelle Weiner chapter 5 . 11/21/2011
"The wordless communication between Perry and Della had always been something,Laura was fasciated with...There was this invisible bond, the one look, the one smile and they knew what the other was thinking"

"In Perry's eyes Laura was lust,Della was life"

That says it all. Those lines sum up their love and relationship and no matter what happens Perry and Della will always be connected.

This has been a wonderful bittersweet story. Always the hopeless romantic, I am wishing for a happy ending and for our favorite couple to be together again.

Looking forward to the last chapter. Hope it's soon :)
Captain Weirdo chapter 5 . 11/21/2011
Wish I had the time to leave a longer review and let you know how truly impressed I am with this story. Suffice it to say, against my own wishes for happy/happy/joy/joy, this is one of my all-time favorites. :)

cw
likes-it-bubbly chapter 4 . 11/8/2011
Wait a minute! I want more details about their day. Speaking of which: only one? What the bell? No no no, it would be so wrong of them to cheat on their spouses, yes I know, but this is killing me, too. I hope you clear this all up soon, in a tormenting way that will bust my heart. :) I want Della to be happy. :( Please?