Reviews for An invitation, a refusal
Dark Tidings chapter 5 . 2/15/2012
beautiful and heartwrenching at the same time. this is a fanon. pairing that actually makes sense to me, and your tale is one of the best I've read of why they'd seek each other and fit like two halves of a whole. fantastic work!
RaShelli chapter 5 . 10/24/2011
Not one of my fave pairings, but you made them sound fierce and somehow harmonious together. Beautiful writing, almost like poetry. Great job and thanks for the pleasure of reading it.
Squibstress chapter 1 . 10/22/2011
Beautifully done.

The characters are absolutely spot-on, and I'm in love with the little details that are packed into this short series of scenes. I just rec'ed this story in the "One Bad Man" (Snape-centric) community on LiveJournal, and am adding it to my master list of (mostly Minerva-centric) fic and art recs on Diigo.

Hope to read more of your work!

Oh-Johanna chapter 5 . 10/20/2011
Aw, i love the last line of this story. It says so much about them.
banshee1968 chapter 5 . 10/19/2011
Thanks I didn't have a problem following the timeline you set and in fact found it more intersting. I hope you do more MM/SS I find them to be the more ineresting pair.
Kelly Chambliss chapter 5 . 10/18/2011
I certainly hope this story isn't the last MM/SS we'll see from you!

I could quote this entire chapter back as examples of lines I love and that really epitomize the characters and the pairing for me. I'll restrain myself. . .somewhat. But I simply must quote this one: "They fight each other for what they each need, Minerva matching him thrust for thrust and bite for bite, until their long thin forms untangle, gasping. They speak few words, none of endearment." Perfection. And of course Minerva wouldn't relish gentleness.

Yet you work believable tenderness in, too, and the image of Minerva casting protective spells is very moving.

(Plus, I'm really glad that she didn't refuse his invitation in the end!)

Please, do write more MM/SS.
Kelly Chambliss chapter 4 . 10/18/2011
"Minerva understands that he means more than just the tea."

Of course! This is how I see them, too, so indirect, reserved, and yet, in their own ways, so beautifully expressive.

I like the opening, the way you link the dream and the reality, with significant, revealing changes.

And this line - it's just what I love about this pairing:

"And she does stay, because Severus is not the only one stretched and breaking with fear and responsibility, and just for today Minerva too will stop running and take her comfort where she can."
Kelly Chambliss chapter 3 . 10/18/2011
Again, their perfect, edgy, uncompromising dynamic. Some great lines:

"She stands there in her dark robes like a shaded lantern, tall and straight and lit with hidden fire within"

I love your Minerva.

"He will take this as he takes food and sleep and acrid medicine, to keep himself alive until his tasks are done. He will take this on his own terms."

And your Severus.
Kelly Chambliss chapter 2 . 10/18/2011
Yet another in-character moment for both of them. I can tell I'm going to be saying this for all your chapters, but you really capture the exact dynamic that I also see in this pairing - the fact that they are willing to be harsh with one another; they don't soften themselves, but stay sharp and brittle as broken glass. I like the relentless honesty you give them.

Lines I like:

"Even before he speaks she regrets her words, her loss of control – but the anger that sparked them will not dissipate, the apology she should offer will not leave her tongue."

Yes, this is Minerva.

"with a sudden clarity she sees him: young – how could she forget how young – dark, with a brilliant brittle darkness, bitter with loss and unforgiveness and a debt that can never be erased, though he pays it daily. The anger runs out of her like water; her heart is torn."

Perfect description of him, and I love "anger runs out like water."

"quick sharp fencing with shining words"

Yep, this is my Severus and Minerva!

Excellent ending, too - as always with them, so much is left unsaid, or said without words.
Kelly Chambliss chapter 1 . 10/18/2011
I love MM/SS, and your story captures why. You've matched a spare, severe prose to this sparest and most severe of couples, and it works very well. The short chapters and few words suit them. Lines I liked:

"His pride, and, yes, his sense of right and wrong, twisted and bitter though it is with coiling around long years of lies and darkness, will not let him stoop to reading her thoughts."

Yes, this is Severus as I see him: a man with a code despite the "coiling."

"He considers her; the severity of her, the sparseness, the feel of her bones within the span of his hands."

Ooh, yes - great opening line.
Batwings79 chapter 4 . 10/15/2011
Another great chapter! I love the fact that Minerva stays with him until she is sure that he has crossed from torture to true slumber...and how tender and gentle she is with him.

I am a little confused with the timeline though...not "book/canon-wise" but within your story. Minerva mentions - "He crosses the room to her as he did that night, weeks or months ago – she cannot remember" - is this night "weeks or months ago" the night from the first chapter or is it the time before that which is mentioned in chapter 1?

Please don't try to 'write' more clarification into the story, I love how you are unfolding it and would hate for you to lose the style/mood/ambience that you have created based on one comment from me...I really do love it. It's really got me thinking about what type of relationship they are currently having versus what type they may have had in the past or may have in the future. It also has me thinkging about the timeline and trying to piece it together based on your basic 'drabble-type' format. So please continue as you are!

BTW...I am so totally in awe of the 'punch' that you can pack in to so few words with this format. I'm not very good at it and have a great deal of respect for those of you who are able to master it! *she bows down before 'Master Tea for Lupin'*

More, please! ;-)
banshee1968 chapter 4 . 10/12/2011
Thanks for the update. I am enjoying your story.
V chapter 3 . 10/10/2011
Very nice. I didn't know you were continuing but I'm glad you did. The third chapter really did me though. The last thing Severus wants is pity and I think e likes Minerva because she won't give it to him. Sure she's epathetic but he angers her too much that it slips her mind. I liked it and I hope you do continue. Take care til then and have a nice day!

-V aka Yue Sai
Batwings79 chapter 3 . 10/9/2011
WOW! So profound...on many levels...and so revealing of Severus' inner workings. You can feel his angst and need to punish himself in Chapter 2 when he contradicts Minerva with 'he has not yet asked enough'. And then in Chapter 3 all you can feel is the deep, dark, black hole that keeps pulling at his soul and then to have him reach out to her, I only wish that she could truly save him. Unfortunately, we all now know how this story will end. The way in which you are unfolding is very deep and very interesting. I look forward to your future chapters...even if it is with a heavy heart! ;-)
ambre gris chapter 1 . 10/3/2011
wonderful start to (hopefully) something more? the first line was beautiful all on its own and it's obvious you've got a unique style. looking forward to another installment. keep up the good work!