Reviews for Avoiding Cliches Like the Plague
Silverfyre16 chapter 2 . 10/5/2016
Yikes. Now that I have read this I am afraid my own fic might be awful.
Guest chapter 2 . 9/3/2016
That why i join my little pony.
Darken Every Legend chapter 4 . 8/31/2016
I really like this guide, and some of the points you make are very valid, but I have a few objections to make:
1. Your note on contractions being unnecessary: yes, but only in specific cirumstances. This is true for utterly unbiased third person narrative. This is extremely rare. Most often, writing is offering some insight into the thoughts of a character, in which case contractions are often very necessary to avoid the whole thing seeming stilted and unnatural.
2. As regards to how to start a story: this can be far more varied than you suggest, in my opinion.
Hasmed chapter 12 . 2/8/2016
Gosh, I love this chapter the most! I hate romance stories too. In the fandom in which I'm interested, no one cares about other genres but romance, angst, hurt/comfort, blah blah bleh. They crave for drama queens and kings, over-cheesy, unrealistic details, fluffy, lemon, blah blah bleh. Having sex is the only way the main characters can come up with to solve problems. Ugh! Not to mention, there're lots of MA-rating fics...I don't wanna live on this planet anymore.
But when I read this chapter, my faith in human was restored a bit *hug* *kiss* *hug* *kiss* [on-going]
Guest chapter 15 . 1/17/2016
Just wanted to say that, while you have some good ideas, it's probably best if you don't command people what to do. I'm planning a story in which a character undergoes severe trials that may be considered twisted or sick by some people. I'm trying to explore a character's ideas, morals, and values. Does that mean I should turn off my computer and sit in a corner? No. This is fiction. Your comment struck a nerve with me but otherwise, the effort is great.
BlackShadowScythe chapter 14 . 12/30/2015
It seems to me you may want to try some new fandoms. I found this story by google, so im not a PJ writer. Many of the problems you are writing about ive barely come across
BlackShadowScythe chapter 11 . 12/30/2015
Maybe someone has told you this but on the coun that there are no houses in Manhattan, speaking as someone who lives in nyc, your wrong. Near central park 96st and indeed other areas too, there are really thin 4-5 story buildings with 1 family each
DreamQueen96 chapter 20 . 12/29/2015
I found this guide by absolute accident, as I was looking for writing tips and tricks. And, even though I'm not in the Percy Jackson fandom, I read it. And I have to say your tips are awesome and your humor is refreshing. It was very helpful and I agreed with everything you said. I loved it!
TypewriterGirl13 chapter 20 . 7/27/2015
Thank you so much! I love all the tips here and they're really helpful.
BookButterfly11 chapter 2 . 6/30/2015
Oh my gods. My Immortal(excuse my language) total c-word. OH MY GODS WHHHHHHHYYYY?!
Reagan's fall chapter 7 . 6/30/2015
I'm writing a story about how my oc Reagan goes from being a hero to being a villain it's called "a hero falls and a villain rises" the plot is; after her best friend dies, Reagan falls into a depression, she's about to commit suiside when, the leader of an evil organization stops her and asks him to join his organization, she says yes and then her life takes a complete 180 and she becomes stronger than ever before. Should I write it or not?
Fabulous chapter 10 . 6/27/2015
I hate Original Characters so much that I feel like a story that has one is doomed to fail.
P.S. Great guide by the way.
The Kanadian Writer chapter 20 . 6/8/2015
This advice will really come in handy fro my upcoming Splatoon fanfic! I already had success with "Team in Reality, Family at Heart", but thanks to you I might be able to do better than ever! In case you want to read my Splatoon fanfic when it comes out, it's called "Countdown".
Guest chapter 17 . 6/5/2015
Percy Jackson is more of an inspiration from Greek Mythology then a fanfiction... Well, there's no copyright issues or anything like that so...
ARandomDemigod chapter 10 . 4/10/2015
I do have a OC that is a daughter of Poseidon but the guy did tell Percy that he had several siblings. I put that as a side note in my story.
It's hard not to make her a Mary-Sue and it pisses me off because that's how she looks and she's NOT, dammit. She's stubborn and temperamental and is horribly irrational and impulsive. And no matter how hard I try she looks like a Mary-Sue. Heh.