Reviews for Recruiting a Rookie
Smoke chapter 1 . 12/4/2014
This is interesting. Your story could be used an example about how to hit many Sueish traits without writing a Stu.

He's got the tragic background and perfect education, but they sort of work together for him wanting to be a Ghostbuster. The scholarship is a bit iffy but not too much, and helps reinforce the physical fitness. His perfection as a recruit would be balanced in showing that he's just as awkward at first as the Ghostbusters were in the first movie, and then doesn't really outshine them except when it's his turn to come up with the day-saving idea that still needs the team to pull off.

Doing the math from 1982 when the first movie came out to 1986 when the cartoon was running, taking Ghostbusters Extreme from 1997 into account but not needing to follow that story, it could make sense for them to still be in business in the early 1990's. I'm not sure if the act applies to a business that small, but it could just be used to drive a point home about not rejecting him because of being mute.

And it's believable that one of them would probably know sign language, but it almost sounds like they all know it already instead of being willing to learn it.

Your guy also needs a name. Maybe Egon reads it out of the notebook, considering that ASL names don't have pronunciation.
War Journalist chapter 1 . 1/13/2013
I really liked this one. Short, sweet, and to the point.
You personify the boys perfectly; it felt like I was reading a script! I can see Spengler leafing through the kid's notebook, nonchalantly rattling off facts while Venkman just tries to make things difficult.
What always attracted me to the Ghostbusters was the fact that they're really just regular joes. And what I treasure in what little material there is in the franchise is when they're just hanging out; the ordinary stuff around the fact that they catch ghosts for a living. You could say, the down to earth stuff is what I love. I mean, saving the world every day gets to be a bit tedious and generic if there's no calm before the storm. Anyway, I'm babbling. But I really enjoyed your story and it makes me wish there was more like it. Keep writing!
Marc James chapter 1 . 10/27/2011
Well that is a good start. Now you just have to write something that he does! Also now you have to look into the lose of his voice. I would think that the use of ASL being important and saves the lives of the guys some how.
DrunkenGrognard chapter 1 . 10/4/2011
Sounds about right - very amusing good sir, my thanks.