Reviews for Save the Cat! KOTOR Beat Sheet Breakdown
PoptartProdigy chapter 1 . 10/30/2014
This, I must say, is an insightful and thought-provoking look at the story of KOTOR. I greatly appreciated reading it, and when I finally finish working through the log of other work I need to do, I look forward to referencing this.

I do agree that Bastila makes the better B story here. She's just more intrinsically involved in the story, and Carth's role can be fulfilled as a buddy. I do like, however, how you emphasized that it definitely still works as a strong story if Carth is the main B plot.

As for KOTOR 2...well, that story had a lot of problems. Mostly production time; considering how much time the team had to work with, even the limited amount that they pulled off is a minor miracle, and what's there is still some incredible story. It's not really their fault that LucasArts (for some reason) refused to let them release a fix-patch. Kreia in particular is the single strongest and most tightly-designed character I've ever seen in any genre. And if you change your mind about playing it, downloading "The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod" fixes a lot of the issues, though not all. I myself might write that breakdown in the future.

Thanks much for posting; this is really helpful!
Mother of Ducklings chapter 1 . 6/30/2013
Great points. I agree with what most of the other revieweres have said about Korriban; that is a huge plothole that I've seen handled several ways, but mostly everyone ignores it. This is a really great help pointing out bits we tend to forget in writing our stories. Thanks for putting it up!
JL01 chapter 1 . 5/29/2013
Came back over here to read this breakdown of KOTOR because I'm continuing to work on my AU KOTOR fic, "Torn". I've got to say, the bit about the major plot hole on Korriban with Malak easily being able to tell the Sith how to identify Revan and the Ebon Hawk kind of applies to every single planet, not just Korriban.

Looking back at the game, I always wondered just how in the hell there was always those three Dark Jedi who confront you on every planet with the repeated line "Lord Malak was most displeased when he learned that you had escaped Taris alive, (etc etc about great reward)". They'd always confront you no matter who's in your party, and it made no sense that they could identify you or your party members by face except for Bastila. I think that leaves three possibilities: either Calo Nord identified Revan by describing his face to Malak, who in turn described Revan's features to his acolytes; the Sith are tracking the Ebon Hawk during the entire quest; or the game's developers were just lazy (most probably true, haha).

But I think the plot hole gets even deeper: If Korriban is the last planet to be visited, then the logical plot is, as you've said, that the Sith there are fully informed by Malak of just who Revan is. If Korriban is the second-to-last planet, then that still means that Darth Bandon is going to be there, and it again would make no sense that Uthar and Yuthura don't know who Revan is, unless Malak wanted it to be kept a secret, If it's the first place to be visited, then it makes no sense that Malak reacted so slowly to Calo Nord's death instead of converging his fleet over the planet as soon as possible while Revan was still busy gallivanting around and looting the tombs. And Revan probably wouldn't visit it as the second planet either, as it's only been a short while since he's been made a Padawan and he'd therefore lack proper discipline to guard himself from dark impulses. So basically, Korriban is an absolute bitch when it comes to plotholes, full stop, lol.

As always, looking forward to the next update to "Revanchism"! :D
NoNameAvailable Bis chapter 1 . 5/21/2013
An interesting breakdown. I agree with most of your points, I'd simply like to argue a bit about "Korriban is the worst choice for the last map". Now, you're of course right on the fact that it makes no sense that Revan can just waltz in there with no-one on the look-out. But I can't help but feel that emotionaly, it can become a mini-climax : right after the crippling blow that was the Leviathan episode, you have to go to possibly the most dangerous place of the Galaxy, where it's really your will who will be tested. It can be the mission that firmly anchor Revan to the Light Side, or send him spiralling to the Dark Side, depending of his choices. So, it would require some tweaking to work, sure, but I don't think it's impossible.

Agreed on every other points. Even if cutting out HK-47 would be heartbreaking, but he doesn't contribute much to the story, true.

Oh, and I think you're a bit harsh on KOTOR 2. It was a really great game... until the last hour, that is. Damn it, meddling executives !
Jocasta Silver chapter 1 . 4/28/2012
Awesome! This is a really great breakdown of Kotor. And I have to agree that Bastila/Revan is more a part of the plot than Carth/Revan.
chisscientist chapter 1 . 10/6/2011
I agree with you that Male Revan X Bastila makes for a stronger story than female Revan x Carth. I hadn't analyzed it in quite the same terms, but had thought of that that romance interacted better with the main plot. Revan x Carth feels more like a distraction than a strong support.
ajaton123 chapter 1 . 10/3/2011
Thanks for this! :) The analysis was an interesting text to read and I found myself agreeing with you in many points, e.g. Taris missing the catalyst.