Reviews for Solitaire
Diurnal Days chapter 1 . 4/3/2016
The beginning of the fic unfurls like a quilt of lavender and aquamarine spelling out a beautifully illustrated storybook. I can imagine the Queen of Spades bedecked in jewels and other frivolities as he dances away underneath the beauty of the palace that he has pulled around himself. The entombed bodies of his prizes, won from the card kingdoms he has ransacked with poisonous claws for glittering human trophies, seem to glimmer as if they had been transformed into statues of pure quartz and crystal concealed underneath the surface of the pool at silent, stoic vigil. He has created a shrine to his ultimate possession, the King of Spades himself, Alfred F. Jones. Arthur has forged a dream for himself where he has hegemony over the world and his most darling Alfred, who he has forced to abide by what Arthur has set as the rules. Although Arthur is not a deity, by any means, in the walls of his palace he has total control over the world - and only there can he see what he wants to see.

Ahem.

On to the actual review. XD

There seems to be a real emphasis on colors and jewels, both of which enrich our world and let us fabricate a world devoid of ugliness and imperfection, so they really do suit Arthur's fantasy world of a palace. There isn't as much of an emphasis here on the cards themselves as there is in both Brave New and Paper Crown Kings and Pinwheel Queens, although I see the object-eating thing from Nylon (even though the object-eating thing is from this fic and reused in Nylon in another context) here, haha. :) A lot of the themes of frivolity and obsessiveness seem to center around Arthur's carefully controlled fishbowl world, which makes sense, because this fic does seem to be about Arthur's nature creating a world where only he is happy among a palace of automatons (I use the word "seem" because things are almost never just as they seem in your fics, lol). But jeez, yandere!Arthur (or at least obsessive!Arthur) scares me. O.o Arthur taking human beings as prizes to submerge in his courtyard's pool and then devouring their possessions for his own entertainment is, understandably, a bit creepy.

For some reason, I've noticed that in your older and more dream-esque fics that Arthur's Victorian decadence, arrogance, and obsessiveness are emphasized as Alfred, perhaps equally if not more sinful, follows him around like a lapdog, learning from the best there is, I guess. But in some of your more depressing/mind-fuck fics (Align, Paper Crown Kings and Pinwheel Queens, Evergreen, Shatter, Brave New, to name but a few), Alfred is the one whose sins (his anger, impulsiveness, hubris, and borderline unhealthy obsession with Arthur) are put in the spotlight more. Maybe that was intentional, maybe not, but I began to notice the starkly obvious trend when I took the time to read this little glimmering oneshot. Oh, Robin, how clever you are with this universe of alternate timelines and overlapping worlds that I totally haven't started to map out in my mind already. XD

Are the overwhelmingly blue rooms in Arthur's palace a deliberate callback to Monomania? Arthur is, apparently, solely focused on constructing himself a fantasy of jewels and stars, so that's an apt allusion. Also, the room that Lelouch apparently uses his Geass on Suzaku in is black and red, the colors of Lelouch's hair and his Geass, and the rooms that Arthur walks through with Alfred are blue and black and white - the colors of Spades and playing cards. Coincidence? Perhaps, but I think not, lol.

How sweet that Arthur essentially has Alfred's power and personality strung about his neck. How horrifying, at the same time, that he would keep Alfred's soul so close to him and put an idealized, fake Alfred in its stead, but, nonetheless, how sweet.

Alfred's fascination with the blue spade hanging on Arthur's neck may show that he's still subconsciously aware of the spell Arthur has cast upon him and wants to take his jewel back. Or maybe he's just being the terribly curious child he is. Who knows?

Ah, you have pulled off your oneshot magic yet again, Robin - I usually consume oneshots as bite-sized fodder between multichaptered fics; however, I was so taken with this world suspended between fantasy and reality that at its end I was yearning for more - yet there will be no more, because this is a standalone story and I have to create my own continuation in my own head. Why must you excite my imagination like this with so few words yet so many? D:

Solitaire, the only game that makes you remember you're forever single like a pringle. Oh wait, there's also dating sims where you date anthropomorphized pigeons.
I've never tried Solitaire myself, probably because I didn't really have card games at all as a child, though I'd probably suck at it too as a result. Oh well. XD

I see a lot of Brave New in this - from a Spades palace where one ruler waits for his lover to return from a hunt against their enemies, to the theming of taking someone's very soul and memories away from them as retribution for rebellion, reverting them back to a simpler state. Ah, dark Cardverse, how we all love you. 3

From a reel of fragmented memories to a fake, frozen paradise to a series of eventful days full of love and hurt. The world of your mind thoroughly interests me and will for time untold.

Can't wait for the final two (epic) chapters of The Waning! ;)
Yukito Uchiha chapter 1 . 10/30/2015
OMG this is Amazing! Ruthless but Amazing!. The unique elements, eloquence, writing style and just the right amount of creepiness. I Ioved it~ :D
FireFox Vixen chapter 1 . 9/17/2015
Love!
Canadian-Parade chapter 1 . 1/30/2015
Oh my goodness, I absolutely love this! The writing is incredible and the ideas are all so unique and ohmygoshIjustloveitsomuch
Kathryn chapter 1 . 6/12/2014
Ruthless . . .
Black Kaitou chapter 1 . 5/12/2014
This was cool it had elements I never read before and they are cool.
Jenavive RoseThorne Gemstone chapter 1 . 3/2/2014
That was beautiful.

Great job.
Viviane Renard chapter 1 . 3/28/2013
The magical setting of this story is done perfectly. I love how effortless the card references were, and how natural the fantasy setting felt despite its strangeness (Queens possessing hearts, body transformations, memory losses and gem eating). In fact, the unique strangeness of this fantasy setting is what makes me truly love it. Thank you for sharing this story with us!
Hikari Ino chapter 1 . 2/21/2013
great job I'd like to see a sequel to this or maybe a prequel if possible
PurrrpleLovah29 chapter 1 . 1/3/2013
interesting...
Calascent chapter 1 . 12/2/2012
Damn, just so beautiful. And wonderfully written. Just so eloquent.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/10/2012
I don't have words for how much I love this. I don't suppose you would give in to demands for more?
LunarMiracle chapter 1 . 10/26/2012
Is that the end?

Very beautifully written, and I love your parallels to history in this! :D I can't wait to read more of your fics
Azzzu chapter 1 . 5/11/2012
Beautiful!
Oniongrass chapter 1 . 4/5/2012
This is great! I kept on imagining one of Monet's blue period paintings, the way you kept on mentioning everything being blue. I like how they eat war spoils a lot!