Reviews for Holding Back
VentureH chapter 1 . 6/2/2011
As other reviewers have said, this is a fantastically written and emotionally gripping look into Squall's soul. Where other authors struggle to show their characters' emotions in their stories, you made me feel them. While I generally consider myself to be a happy and positive person, I'll admit to the occasional bout of depression, and I could totally relate with some of Squall's thoughts here. Though it's been a long time since this was posted an last reviewed, I hope to see more of your work in the future.
JayLiyah chapter 1 . 12/28/2005
This was really amazing. I don't think I've read too many fics that has given this particular inner conflict in Squall's mind, it actually kind of .. nerved me a little. At one part, I can see Squall thinking like this, but I've never seen it in a way that you presented it here - bitterness, uncertainty, anger (just to name a few) ~ it's all very emotional here.

I definitely liked the way you wrote it, but it is sort of depressing. (That doesn't make it less good! In fact, that's what makes it memorable.) Excellent.
Redrum chapter 1 . 9/20/2003
Wow... Very powerful. An incredible inner look on Squall's thoughts and feelings (or lack there of). Very, very well done. There's not much I can say that your other reviewers haven't already. This is truly a masterpiece, and I'm going to put it on my favourite stories list.

Jeez.. this is going to stay in my head for the whole day. You've definitely made me take a second look into the mind of Squall Leonhart.
blessedsilence chapter 1 . 9/20/2003
This piece was also very excellent. you are an extremely talented author, and show promise in the feild. i love how you get inside your characters head, and have what they say make perfect sense. you should really write more ff8 fics, i'd like to see what you could do with a songfic (if you're into that sort of thing).
NeoKefka chapter 1 . 4/28/2002
A very painful read. *Waits for moment of shock to pass.* That really the best way to describe this story. But by painful, I do not mean that it is badly written, because nothing you've written has even been that. So, what do exactly I mean? Simple. We have been given a look into Squall's mind and discover that despite the joyous conclusion shown us in Final Fantasy 8, its all not fairy tale romance and happy endings in the mind of this character. He does not love himself, therefore he finds that he unable to show such affection for anyone else. Anger, resentment, and countless other bleak, negative emotions seem to be his constant companion and he seems to, in some twisted way, enjoy that. The readers of this fic will likely feel a mixture of pity and anger toward Squall as he shares his harshest thoughts without caring how badly they sting. I know I did. I was not happy when I came away from this work, but, I was thoughtful. A sign of a truly great writer is when they can stirr and tug at their audiences emotions and leave them still contemplating the events of their works. And that, ZP, is exactly what you have done here.
Jayson 4 chapter 1 . 4/28/2002
Simply amazing. Once again, your skills shine through everything else. I don't think I'm quite worthy to even READ this, it's so good it could rot your pencils.

Well done.
Mercutio of Verona chapter 1 . 4/26/2002
That was really powerful. It kind of gave me the chills, actually, just because I'm not used to being dumped inside someone's head like that and know what they're thinking so vividly (I know what I just said didn't make much sense, but it's a good thing, heh). Very good, very angsty. Yay.
Ethrial chapter 1 . 4/26/2002
Amazing work. I love this internal battle type thing, and the last words were very powerfull. Totally amaing.