Reviews for The Writing On The Wall
Jocasta Silver chapter 1 . 9/8/2015
Wow, this has so many feels to it. The imagery is amazing, and I'm just as shocked and saddened as Greagoir is. Glad to see he decides to keep the paintings up.
Miss Lubberly chapter 1 . 2/16/2015
So Greagoir has a heart after all ... sometimes i doubted that. But this story changed my point of view. It really hurts to see how much pain Anders had to suffer. But that the Knight Commander at least recognized that was a relief. So beautiful written! Thank you :)
commander-shakarian chapter 1 . 5/5/2014
Beautiful and heartbreaking.

Truly.
Bethela chapter 1 . 2/9/2013
Angsty, sad, and perfect.
Broke out laughing at 'cake is a lie'.
HeyiyaIf chapter 1 . 12/5/2011
"The only family they have is each other, and this family is so abusive and dysfunctional that no reasonable person would want it. No wonder Anders ran away."

Witness the harrowing of a knight commander.

You just really helped me sympathise a lot with Anders. Dysfunctional family - there it is, something I can relate to. The only reason mage-Hawke killed him is clearly because she was never in the Tower. People who aren't in dysfunctional families rarely believe what they hear. It's simply too nasty.

The characterization of Greagoir is spot on, too.
strangegibbon chapter 1 . 11/1/2011
I loved this, especially the sense of foreboding in the line '...return to take vengeance.'

Nice little character study - my inner (outer?) geek giggled delightedly at the cake reference too :)
stoobzzwife chapter 1 . 10/29/2011
Wow, i dont even know what to say... this one is just... wow. In a way its beautiful... i guess in a morbid, coming to terms and realizing things kind of way. All that time, all the torture, all the pain, all the resentment. Written on the walls. And the beauty, the things Anders has seen in his escapes, memorized, painted on the walls to pass the time, to maybe ease the pain... to not forget that there was a world out there. To give him the resolve that he would never stop trying to be free. Ah, for Greagoir to see this... wow.

The cake is a lie was friggin hilarious. Is that a shark? haha Some of this had some great humor. But it was also painful. 149. I counted you bastard. *cries* So much agony. And he tells them to leave it, for others to see.

So friggin powerful, this one is.
Saber Wing chapter 1 . 10/4/2011
Your work brought me to tears, as always. Especially the fact that he counted each and every lash they'd ever dealt upon him. That coupled with the beautiful sights he'd seen, against all odds, has me feeling appropriately devastated.

Amazing work.
Suilven chapter 1 . 10/4/2011
Nicely done! I like the balance of humour (the cake is a lie - *snort*) and pain/sadness (the number of lashes, HATE THIS PLACE...)

I loved this, in particular: "The mingled colors of sunset, the dappled green of light through trees, the gradients of autumn leaves. Things Anders never would have seen if he'd listened to the grown men pleading with him to follow the rules, things that gave him hope to cling to when everything else was taken from him."
Rose Tinted Contact Lenses chapter 1 . 10/4/2011
Perfect. Just *perfect*. Challenge most definitely met (even though it's your own!)

Not too angst-heavy, either - more, humorous and hard-hitting in equal measure, just like Anders' whole story itself. The perfection of the contrast between the darkness ("149. I counted", the shared pain of the old templar and the young runaway, the "blood?" moment that made me stop breathing in horror - OK, quite a lot of moments here did that) and the light ("the cake is a lie", lutes (:D), meticulously constructed templar shark attacks, all that he loves about the outside world) worked astonishingly well.

And *this*...

Hell, this is what made me write fanfic in the first place.