Reviews for The Mission Stays the Same
Lord Astrum chapter 32 . 4/14
Gallardi’s reaction to the Liara romance is thus bizarre(and this is criticizing the original author)

His attitude would not be comparable to say interracial dating in the 20th century. But the text treats his objection with the same rhetoric.

If I had written it, it would have been something that lowered his respect for Shepard-surely a hero of humanity wouldn’t do this, also doesn’t she realize that she is being used? A heroine like shepard ought to be having human kids, not essentially being a sterile step parent to a Xenos witchling.

The way Garrus responds to it was also super cringe, like “bro people fuck bro get over yourself bro”

Like, no. It wouldn’t just be “oh my gosh she’s holding hands with a black guy” or some mild prejudice. It would be a profound sense of disgust and portrayal, and suspicion and hate. Something that would require all his discipline not to shoot Shepard for.

The whole subplot of that is just really badly done. Writing wise and in terms of how the characters ought to treat it.
Lord Astrum chapter 33 . 4/14
Ekinar

I agree, I thought the tone and pacing was maintained on the first read or so. But now it’s so clearly a different author that from what I can tell isn’t as interested in the actual story.

As for Gallardi, the odd thing is no one seems to know anything about paradigms. Someone ought to have figured that “wait a minute, his universe incurs a very different mindset that might seem horrifying and immoral to us, but he’s suffused in it-maybe we should be willing to be reasonable”. I do think he’s portrayed as somewhat dumb. Which…imperial fanatic yes, you don’t become an inquisitorial stormtrooper if you are a dumb grunt. And some of the writing treats him as very simple minded.

As for Maeteris-I’m sort of confused, she’s taken some weird interest in the Asari for some reason. Also making Morinth demon possessed was a dumb choice. When you already had Jack be a psyker.

It’s clear that the new author is not really interested in the Maeteris/Gallardi romance-which the old author’s statements on Deviantart aside, is clearly being built up towards in their first meeting. I get aversion to the “love can bloom” fixation in some corners of the 40k fandom, but them ending up together was clearly meant to occur in the writing here.

As for the Asari-three bachelors aren’t necessarily the most insightful party. If you want to attribute any insidious motivations to the asari(or just a hostile alien interest) it would be they are parasites-taking the best of mankind as mates and having them be genetic dead ends, with Asari kids. To an imperial-this is exactly the sort of thing a “sexy space babe” would mean tbh. These aliens use their wiles to lure less than faithful members of humanity away, and slowly consume them-with more Asari and less humans. It’s the sort of thing that would make Sororitas and Black Templars go apoplectic with rage at the cunning xeno. Using mankind’s lust and emotional urges to take their traits, to make themselves stronger as humanity loses individuals to nothing, raising “children” that are not even hybrids.

Overall, it’s clear the story is going downhill. I will stick around but I get the firm impression the author isn’t really interested in it. And is simply doing it out of some promise or obligation to the original one.

And that is not sufficient motive to write fanfiction.
Chronus1326 chapter 25 . 4/14
Great story, thank you
Chronus1326 chapter 21 . 4/14
Wow didn't see that one coming!
Chronus1326 chapter 19 . 4/14
This is a great story and I'm not close to finished. Just got to the part where MTarr is on the ship, now we want a Jokaero.
Asari, the foulest of all the Mass Effect races. How unfortunate
Yes Gallardi, the aliens in the ME universe are all extremely humanized. That doesn't make them less alien. The honest problem with Gallardi is that he's dumb. Not strategically or tactically, but his thought process is that of a very simple minded person.
Ah, Miranda is mistaken. Asari do use some form of rudimentary mind control. Whether it's via pheromones or some biotic trickery, the Asari are able to appear attractive to all of the races of the galaxy, despite having completely different standards of attractiveness. Truly the most treacherous of xenos.
psp reader chapter 33 . 4/10
progress, thanks
Ekinar chapter 27 . 4/10
I'm sorry but no. You could recognize the author change immediately in ch.21-22 without even knowing about it. This is going downhill really fast. All the established characters act differently compared to the original. If the old author paid attention to the characters in games and the couple of characters they created and breathed life into, the new author is constantly bringing every character down to something unrecognizable, constantly pulling something out of their ass in the name of creative freedom I guess.
Shepard's interactions with her crew put her in a place where she isn't the commander anymore, where even not just gallardi and maetris, but also samara, garrus and others undermine her.
Gallardi had a drastic shift from a competent imperial in a strange new world who held himself to a standard (example frowned upon drinking), and had a believable reactions and worries and flaws where he would accept Shep's offer not to go on missions with aliens to a brewer that pulled some never before established vodka out of his ass, while asking to go on missions with aliens so that he could preach his beliefs that he constantly changes on a whim.
Maetris being the worst offence where she went from a graceful and a little smug reserved alien to a constantly open to others smug in a different way preacher that all of a sudden was very interested in being a buddy to some mon'keigh dude that she brought to her craftworld despite what was established in the first chapters.
Others as well had a ton of changes to them. The pace of the story is also all over the place now, where previously we would get long chapters meant for one persons quest to now having like 5 quests crammed and rushed in 3 small chapters.

The old author wasn't perfect but nonetheless his writing was believable and had quality to it. This ended with chapter 20.

Thank you for trying to continue the story, but some things are better left a nice memory rather than being twisted by slaanesh into a barely recognizable perverse image of what it once was
Nah, just, nah.
W8W chapter 33 . 4/7
Nice to see new chapter.

Maeteris parts was most interesting for me. I really like how she deal with Asari. She said it nicely, monasteries are crude solution born from ignorance of the subject. They can't be blamed for using them but now when better solution is known they should change it. I also like how she invited her tail to simply go with her instead of fooling around

Mordin part was not bad but not much changes here.
Carre chapter 33 . 4/7
Keep Up with the Good Work (washed Thumbs Up!).
kano547 chapter 33 . 4/7
I want to start by saying that I still love this story and I very much enjoy reading it, Regina Dea is doing a very good job with it. But wow, you can very clearly see that she does not give a single damn about August. This started out as Gallardi trying to cope with a galaxy that is almost unrecognizable to him surrounded by things that are familiar in a way that only makes his derealization worse and the only tie he has to his home is a being that he knows he can't trust while he tries to come to terms with his new reality. And now it's the Maeteris Show, after all, an ancient psychic is way more useful now that he's already given them a way to replicate his weapons.

"Hey, do you think we should help Gallardi to overcome the decades of mental scarring and brainwashing that have led to a personality built around his PTSD that will definitely cause him a psychological break?"
"Nah, I don't have that time or patience for all that and he's kind of superfluous now anyway. Just have that psychic alien that he already doesn't trust poke around in his head and pretend to be his god so she can play the burning bush and get him to follow my orders."
Obviously, it was always kind of going to go that way, it's what makes sense. But wow that was a sharp turn.
AyeJimmy123 chapter 33 . 4/7