Reviews for It Is What It Is
Pinnatus chapter 1 . 6/29/2012
This is so sad but also very powerful. Its simplicity is moving and absence of dialogue gives the effect of silence and fear. Very nicely conceived and written. Congrats on 1st place!

I like how you characterized both of them. You captured a unique aspect in their relationship that is hard to do. Very well done. Favorited!
Tagesh chapter 1 . 10/11/2011
Great story, and I agree with Divergary about "an inglorious way to die" and the way you chose to show this.

I continue to be amazed at the different depths which can be plumbed from what was supposed to only be a 'children's picture.'

Cheers, T.
just me chapter 1 . 10/7/2011
Very well-written story, thanks. It's so sad, what with Valhallarama wanting Stoick's company at the end since he's the man she loves and Stoick being afraid of keeping Valhallarama company since he fears watching the woman he loves die (and maybe fears catching the illness too and leaving baby Hiccup with *both* parents dead, but not knowing how to say so especially since they didn't have germ theory back then?).

"She had not been opposed to their betrothal, quite satisfied with it, in fact; but that did change the fact that there were others with whom she would have been even more satisfied."

Lemme guess, Stoick proposed before he and Valhallarama were going steady, and she was dating some other guys too? In the books she's still alive and well and going on missions out of town so this story must be based on the movie instead. In the first scene of the movie, Hiccup tells Gobber "Please, two minutes. I'll kill a dragon. My life will get infinitely better. I might even get a date." So, movie Berk isn't like Viking society was IRL which had arranged marriage instead of courtship customs...
anhedral chapter 1 . 10/7/2011
Delanie, I already left some comments on this story over on SaS but I just wanted to say again how touchingly written this is. The subject you chose is one that many would not have felt confident in tackling, but you manage to describe Val’s feelings in such a natural and sympathetic way that the reader finds it easy to empathise with the dying woman.

The repetition of ‘it was what it was’ is very powerful, and I like that you keep the narrative free of sentimentality - it strikes me that this would be very much in keeping with Val’s outlook on life, and on death.

Stoick’s behaviour is still, I guess, rather unexplained but ultimately it doesn’t matter for this story, because the focus is entirely on the woman. Very fine writing and a well deserved first place!
LadyLore3 chapter 1 . 10/5/2011
I really, really enjoyed this. You captured Valhallarama beautifully. I loved that she wasn't the same typical Mary Sue that everyone makes her out to be - the absolute perfect mother, perfect wife, and is somehow able to not care about her own needs and think only for her family because she's just that perfect. Nobody's like that. Your character actually had a mind, and not to say that she wasn't a bad mother or wife - but she felt very real, and that's what I liked more than anything. Great job, this was fantastic.
Backroads chapter 1 . 10/5/2011
Ah, you posted this one! I'm so happy it won 1st place... though I had guessed you had written the baby-up-in-the-night one. I love your portrayal of Val and how this delved into book material.
Punzie the Platypus chapter 1 . 10/5/2011
That was beautiful and heartwarming, a great fic if there ever was one. You've done a great job! Here, have a well deserved cookie and please come and R&R my stories. HTTYD ROCKS!
Nocte Furorem chapter 1 . 10/5/2011
This was a really well written story. I can see why it won first place.

It is also very sad.

I've read countless stories that hint at Valhallarama's demise, from fighting dragons to being lost at sea to going away and not coming back. This is the first story that has her succumbing to sickness. Not a glorious way for a Viking to go, but one that's a lot closer to reality.