Reviews for The Fires of Saigon
DokiDokiStarlight chapter 11 . 3/15/2014
I just died. I started bawling my eyes and heart out...
Tehpillowstar chapter 11 . 2/24/2014
Before anyone reads this review, I would like to emphasize that I did read the entire story, and that this is my own personal opinion. I am writing this through the viewpoint of very, very high standards.

My final thoughts?

It was okay.

I'm sorry to say, but that there were many aspects in the writing that prevented me from perceiving the story any better. However, at the same time, the story as a whole IS better than many of the Hetalia fics that can be found. It just sadly, isn't what I would consider fantastic beacon of writing, or something really worth re-reading.

The biggest issues I personally found with the story was its pacing, the dialogue, and the execution.

The pacing at times felt rushed, events glossed over. There was no build-up to plot critical events, and the events that did happen felt empty, not very significant. When writing, you should try and pace things out better: slow down the pace when you're showing things like plot-heavy events, dramatic moments, and cool-down after a particularly tense and action-filled moment. The action also feels a bit clunky, but fight scenes are always one of the most difficult things in writing, so don't feel too bad about that.

The only real complaint I have, which is very personal mind, is the use of the vocal tics and "". It broke my immersion into the story, and made characters like South Korea and China less authentic, and more like caricatures. I understand that they speak like this in the original manga and the Japanese version of the anime, but there's a reason why official dubs of any Japanese anime doesn't use vocal tics: They sound tacked-on in English, and completely unlike how a normal human being would speak English.

The execution, is what in the end, made my review a fairly negative one. Everything feels glossed over, like broad strokes. We never /really/ see the individual actions that made the war, WAR. Yes, countries did point rifles at each other, they trained each other, negotiated with each other. But it doesn't feel like a proxy war, just individuals squabbling. Maybe I'm alone here, but diving face-first into the politics of the Cold War that allowed the Vietnam War happen, the conflict of ideology and interests between the Soviet Union and the United Stated, and the human cost of it all; don't you think that might have been interesting?

My point is that there was so much detail and potential involved that really could have been explored, but the story only scratched the surface. Broad strokes, like I said.

(A minor nitpik here is that the M16A1 rifle, the assault rifle used by the US Military during the Vietnam war, does not sound like BANG! BANG! BANG! when fired. It's a much more high-pitched, poppier sound. More like a Pap! Pap! Pap! sound.)

Do I have anything positive to say here? I do. I really do appreciate how you did show South Korea's participation in the war, and showed how effective the ROK Marines were. I also liked how you showed that North Vietnam wasn't a bad person, and that kind of shades of grey is something I do appreciate. America's characterization was really nice too, and I liked seeing the war's toll on Australia and South Korea.

At the end, the writing failed to hook me into the story, and failed to keep me attached. Although this may be affected by my current sleepy state, I wasn't particularly blown away by the story. It's good, it's decent and definitely better than a lot of fanfics you can find on this site...but at the same time, there are better fanfics out there. This story is a worth-while read, but if you're looking for something deep, this isn't the story for you.

(Final Note: The way Australia seemed traumatized by the events of the war reminds me of the Cold Chisel song "Khe Sanh".)
Anon chapter 2 . 5/14/2013
Very well written! I love it!3 Just a small note: Australia/New Zealand & South Korea were not the only nations to send troops to 'Nam; Thailand and the Philippines were also obliged to send soldiers as a part of their SEATO treaty (aka the 'Manila Pact') with the U.S. (so if you could maybe add something in about that, that would be awesome!)
TheDojikkoDork chapter 11 . 3/28/2013
That was so sad I swear I was bawling my eyes out while reading the bit where North shot South. It's really well written and I'm doing Vietnam at the moment in school so it was also really informative too. I'm just going to go and cry some more now, okay? BUt yeah it was really good.
artilyon-rand chapter 8 . 1/26/2013
damn ,history lesson i love it x3
artilyon-rand chapter 4 . 1/26/2013
Way to bring a knife to a gunfight, America.
pinkixx.212 chapter 11 . 12/12/2012
I'm Vietnamese and I love your story! It's much better than the boring history class. XD
PuccaRockz266 chapter 11 . 7/20/2012
I LOVE this fanfic!(And well,I nearly cried)
You did a good job on this!
mysterywings chapter 11 . 4/6/2012
Amazing! I loved it!
Yajirobe's Red Underwear chapter 11 . 12/3/2011
... and now I don't need to pay attention in History! I wish all history was taught like this.
Annojo Mai chapter 11 . 10/22/2011
Cuba actually got involved in the Vietnam War too; he had helped North Vietnam a lot. I apologise if I have offended you, I just felt the need to point it out (I'm a fan of Vietnam x Cuba because of it )
SarahSerendipidy-OliviaMaestro chapter 11 . 10/19/2011
I've really enjoyed reading this story :3

- even though I cried..

I truely love this story, mainly because it's fantasticly written and because I love historical stories :D

I've been considering making and posting some sort of omake(just after America returned) for this.. Is that ok? You'll get all the credit, of course. :)

I've been having this vision of America visiting England afterwards. It's not historiacly correct or anything.. Well, I may be able to put some 'events' in.

Love, Sarah
lesta chapter 11 . 10/17/2011
great story..good luck with history..not that you need it ;)
SouthWorld chapter 11 . 10/15/2011
Believe me! after that war, Vietnam worse

rise from the ashes and became one of the fastest growing country ?

worse again Laos and Cambodia ! I hete Vietnamese community ! "
MissAleatory chapter 11 . 10/15/2011
AWESEOM! Seriously, this is great. I learned a lot. I shall miss it.