Reviews for Echoes in the Night
Unknown user chapter 1 . 6/6
Amber: (Singing) I was thinking 'bout him, thinkin' 'bout me Thinkin' 'bout us, what we gonna be Opened my eyes, it was only just a dream It was only just a dream So I traveled back down that road Will he come back? No one knows I realize it was only just a dream It was only just a dream So I traveled back down that road Will he come back? No one knows I realize it was only just a dream It was only just a dream.
Digimon Girl: Sorry, but I was watching "Pitch Perfect".
Unknown user chapter 1 . 6/6
Basil: (Pissed) Let go of me!
Unknown user chapter 3 . 6/6
Steven Quartz Universe: Nooo!
Unknown user chapter 1 . 6/6
Jewel: (Angry) Let him go!
Queen Nehelenia: It's past sunset, and my spell has now become permanent. Your prince's heart belongs to me now. You've not only lost him, but your precious mini-brat as well.
Guest chapter 1 . 8/18/2013
I only read chapter one since the rest is, no offense.
Sherlock109 chapter 14 . 6/5/2012
An awesome fanfic! I truely enjoyed it! I can't believe that I didn't find it sooner. I'm off to read the sequel! :D
Taliym5 chapter 3 . 6/2/2012
I've read a few of your GMD fanfics, and i have to say, this is one of my favorites, especially this chapter. It was so heart-felt I started to feel like I was in your story. Keep up the amazing work!
Kaen Okami chapter 13 . 5/23/2012
This was a great ending to a really great story. I think I've said this before in a past review, but since it's worth repeating, I'll say it again - out of all the stories you've written, this one is my favorite!

Ratigan: And you should know that making Kaen like an author-insert fic is quite an accomplishment, seeing as she normally despises them with a fiery passion.

Kaen: *nods* True, but that was before I knew there were good ones.

Ratigan: So you think the story is amazing, Mary Sueness be damned?

Kaen: Amazing story - yes. Mary Sueness - Well, not exactly. I think that Amber is a good example of an author-based OC done well. She's not technically a Mary Sue, since those are unrealistic, annoyingly flawless characters that are impossible to relate to. She's a realistic character, has a likable personality, and, as Ratigan pointed out in chapter 3, flaws as well as good traits. And just because Basil loves her doesn't make her a Mary Sue.

Ratigan: But does it make Basil out of character? I wasn't even aware he had a romantic side.

Kaen: Neither was I. But that fact that he never shows his romantic side leaves it up to interpretation. We never really see him like that, so he might act in any way towards the person he loves. So technically, he's not out of character, since it's not known how he'd act in that situation in canon.

Ratigan: ...I suppose that's a valid explanation. And might I add that I think story-me's motivations for wanting Amber are very in character as well. I delight in playing mind games and in tormenting Basil, and some love and compassion would be very nice, as well.

Kaen: I think it's because of this that the love triangle element of the story isn't cheesy or cliche, and I like it more for that reason. That, and it's really not often that Basil and Ratigan come into conflict over a girl in a fanfic, so in that respect, it's original.

All right, I think I've talked enough. All in all, this has been an amazing story, and I can't wait for the sequel!
FantasmaTraNoi chapter 14 . 5/17/2012
Insightful author's notes. Explain some things I was wondering about.
Marvelous Mad Madam Mimzy chapter 14 . 5/17/2012
I thought this was one of your best works yet. And Basil was pretty well in character save for the touchy feely moments between him and Amber, but we rarely see this side to him. Who knows? Maybe he does have that side and he represses it. As for Amber, just because two characters have an interest in her does not make her awry Sue. Ratigan, like you've stated, does not want the girl for himself. He wants the bond that Basil and Amber share. So, in theory, he doesn't want Amber at all. He wants someone to care about him like Amber does for Basil. And speaking of the good Professor, wow! He is a blast to wrote and I could see how much fun you had playing with the little aspects of his personality and he just sparkled with all kinds of personality here. I could see the mastermind, the teacher, the lonely rat, and the monster all wrapped up in a fur covered ball of fabulous. And to the one's who peg Amber as a positive Mary Sue, if a character has flaws then how when the definition of a Mary Sue is a boring cliched female character with NO FLAWS, is she a Mary Sue? And the character is based off of the author's personality. EVER AUTHOR EVER DOES THAT. Does that mean literature is full of Mary Sues? Probably. But I would love an explanation for that.

All in all, this was a fabulous story. And I cannot wait to see what lies in wait for our heros (and seriously messed up villain) in the sequel. Who knows? Maybe Ratigan will get some love afterall?
LuluCalliope chapter 14 . 5/17/2012
I totally understand these dreams. There's a term used to descrivbe them..."lucid dreams", in which the dreamer is aware that he/she is dreaming. I think that lucid dreams are the most vivid dreams. Some of the best lucid/vivid dreams have led to some of the greatest works in cinema. For example, "El laberinto del fauno" or "Pan's Labyrinth" is said to have been based off of a series of lucid dreams that Guillermo del Torro, the director had.

It should also be noted that there are two types of "Mary Sues": positive and negative. The negative examples are usually desired by all male characters, have no imperfections, and are not very realistic or easy to identify with. Two of the most popular examples include Bella (Twilight) and Westley Crusher (Star Trek).

Positive Mary Sues do have flaws, are easy to identify with, and are not always desired by male characters. The most popular example of a positive Mary Sue is Hermione Granger from Harry Potter, who is supposed to be modeled off of J.K. Rowling. According to the information Ratigan provides on you while you, him, and Basil are in the dungeon, your character does have her imperfections. But these are imperfections that are common in most young girls/women, and this is what makes your character a positive example of a Mary Sue.

(Two other positive Mary Sues are Jenna and Alicia from The Devil's Advocate's stories. Both girls have moments of modesty, fear, weakness, doubt, forgetfulness, and clumsy accidents. They may not always be as sympathetic as your character is, but they are just as interesting to read about.)

This is among one of the best fanfics I have read on the site, containing atmosphere, a structured story, IC characters, and loyalty to the original Great Mouse Detective and Sherlock Holmes. I await the sequel eagerly.
Samantha Spanner chapter 13 . 5/16/2012
Oh! I just found out that you updated, and I have to say that this is a /wonderful/ conclusion! I loved it!
FantasmaTraNoi chapter 13 . 5/16/2012
... So it's finally finished! Though apparently not, if Ratigan's STILL alive.. too bad he didn't suffer a brain concussion, that would be the greatest injury I suppose, and dipossess him of his powers.. (although I do love that charming piece of nastiness ;-))

To be perfectly honest, though I strongly dislike Basil romances and find author-insert-pairings even worse, you wrote this well enough to keep my attention till the end. It's kind of like... you turned cheese into wine, haha ;-D (no offense, it's just my opinion) Keep up and further improve the good writing style. I like how "visual" your story is. I keep imagining some really awesome colors, like dark red, dark purple, dark green,... well mostly dark colors, haha, and black of course, light the night.. and Ratigan's heart, as Basil said. (Now I really thought that line coming from Basil's mouth was too cheesy, yet enjoyably predictable.)

Just a suggestion, now that you're done with this story, you may possibly consider giving each chapter a name. Seems more "completed" that way.

PS. It's PADRAIC, not Padriac! (commonly pronounced "paw-rick")
PirateWizardThief chapter 13 . 5/14/2012
Loved the chap and can't wait for the sequel! Basil and Amber better look out for Ratigan!
Sorceress of the Nile chapter 13 . 5/14/2012
Oh my, what a very interesting ending, I like it! A sequel would be so awesome. - I have loved every minute of the story ) Plz do another!