Reviews for Play the Game
sylvi10 chapter 1 . 10/14/2011
Finally leaving a real review here. So glad you posted it! Count Friedrich’s character is really well drawn in this. He’s inquisitive and playful but also perceptive and thoughtful. I like what you’ve done with his voice and how you’ve envisioned some of his back story. I also really like how you’ve played with the natural connection he would seem to have with Allan. They are two gamblers after all, two people who make their way in the world in part by reading those around them and weighing their chances. But of course, by the end, Friedrich has to admit that he and Allan are really nothing alike—something that Allan picks up on first.

One of my favorite parts is their introduction, when the Count is overly formal in addressing Allan, and then Allan mimics his accent. What a memorable moment! And I love how Allan tries to cheat him in the game of cups, only to have Friedrich call him on it and not allow him to bluff his way out of it. And finally, I very much like Friedrich’s advice to Allan about how a “player” needs to decide how much he is willing to risk so that he doesn’t end up hurting himself or others. It’s a poignant reminder of what Allan is dealing with during this time and what he's trying to figure out.

Just a really interesting interaction between two characters who would seem to have so much in common in some ways. And Friedrich is in a position to notice and take interest in Allan, whereas Allan is in the midst of his crisis. At any other time, don't you get the feeling that these two together could conquer the world?
manxcatmom chapter 1 . 10/7/2011
Funny story, Traveller! I remember this from our "Unusual Pairings" ficathon, and this is an unusual pairing all right! Well, nothing really happens, but it's believable coming from Count Friedrich, he was such a character. Allan is very recognizable as his charming self here, too!