Reviews for The Horse And Her Girl
Saoirse7 chapter 1 . 4/19/2014
I like it! Being their own person... It's sweet, and, as usual, perfectly in character. I don't know why you would get angry reviews for it, it's a very nice story! :)
SweetSunnyRose chapter 1 . 3/10/2014
This was a great story. I'm glad I finally got around to reading it. A very interesting take. I never considered that Archenland would have a problem accepting Aravis as Queen, but then again all of your work makes me think of things I never did before.

Speaking of Queens, who is this "Queen" that Cor went in to see? Is it Morgan. I could see how, but it doesn't really sound like something she'd do. Not the Morgan I know at least. Though, I'm guessing that my question would be answered if I would just read Acceptance of Terms, but like I said I refuse to read it just yet.
CC chapter 1 . 7/29/2013
...I really don't understand why you get angry mail for this story. It's not obscene, it's not unimaginable and it's very well written.
BudgetSecurity chapter 1 . 2/28/2013
lovely, i wish this story specifically focusing on bree,shasta,hwin,aravis carried on. also, I'm a first time reader and had no problem with effing otters :D. dont see what all the fuss is about.
SlashMyDreams chapter 1 . 2/21/2013
I love the idea of Hwin as an ambassador, and that Aravis at least has Narnia to be free in. And of course Cair Paravel smells like a barn!
OldFashionedGirl95 chapter 1 . 2/7/2013
I know I've read this before. Multiple times. I keep thinking it's a multi-chapter WIP, though, and once again I get to the end and say, "But - that's it? Where's the rest?"

There's a lot of great worldbuilding here as well as memorable, evocative images - the whole idea of Narnia really being small and provincial and backward at times, and how stifled Hwin would feel in a herd of Narnian horses who have never been out of the valley. Because, yes, that is so much of the Narnia we see in the books - a different way to think of it, but the same character.

Cair Paravel smells like a barn. ...Of course. Why did I never think of this? Of *course.* The place is a zoo, only no well-bred visitor would use that word within fifty miles of a Narnian.

And then, the Calormene proverb and Hwin as advisor and the difficulties Aravis has in Archenland, all very well-drawn, and I love the thought-provoking suggestion that even Narnian politeness and decency can become as stifling and ridiculous as Calormene etiquette if the rules become rules for their own sake. Why not ride a Talking Horse if she wants it? Hopefully not because it isn't Nice.

But - that's it? Boo.
Misted chapter 1 . 12/16/2012
Loved your fic - amazing worldbuilding. Diplomat!Hwin is an excellent addition to golden age Narnia.
FF.netfanHANNAH chapter 1 . 11/21/2012
Oh, I do like those otters, and how they like Bree because he taught them to cuss. They act like teenagers who've learnt what swearwords are and think they have the gall to use them - only never around their parents ;)

I found it an exceedingly good one-shot. I would hope to read a little more, or just a note to know if Aravis is final accepted as Cor's wife in Archenland.
Having said that, i've just realised if you are keeping this canon then the answer is in the book... so i'm an idiot.

Still, you wouldn't hear any complaints from me if there was more ;)

*HannaH*
Belle of Books chapter 1 . 10/13/2012
How have I not read this? I'm so completely confused about that. But I LOVE this. I love HAHB and I'm so glad to see this. I love when you write about the inter-workings of the culture and the diplomacy within the nations. Love it. I'd love to read something else with your Aravis/Cor/Hwin dynamics (The '/' does not imply smut, etc...Just general...I thought I'd disclaimer that :) )
Heliopause chapter 1 . 8/28/2012
This is terrific! I love the way it fits with 'The Courtship Dance' and as in other of your stories, I love the animality of the Animals (the tedious Stallion - well, the whole dull band! - are particularly good; I like it that not everything in Narnia is to everyone's taste.)
Oh, and I liked very much the Calormene proverb, and the part about the letter - in fact I would have liked more of that. And the Calormen-experienced Hwin's view of Cair Paravel, too - the smell of it was very evocative.
jpdt19 chapter 1 . 6/26/2012
Beautiful, thought provoking and shockingly under reviewed. Bravo!
basaltone chapter 1 . 6/17/2012
Wonderful story, such a different POV to see this world in. I am so glad that Bree and Hwin find their place in the world and I hope they are able to help Cor and Arvis find theirs. Thank you.
gunofchekov chapter 1 . 6/7/2012
Your reviewers really aren't paying very close attention, are they?
LadyAlambiel chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
This was a fascinating one shot. I love how you interpreted and elaborated on Aravis and Hwin's story. I always imagined Aravis causing waves in Anvard, though I admit not quite in the way you have portrayed. This is not my Narnia, but I love how you created this universe of very plausible happenings depending on how you interpret Narnia itself. This was very well done. Keep writing!

Lady A
fledge chapter 1 . 2/2/2012
There are so very few Aravis-centred stories, and even fewer about Hwin and Bree, so this is lovely exception. Excellent writing with superb grammar and spelling, too. And the introductory quote from that ancient Vietnamese lady is a wonderful motto. Indeed, Aravis must have a lot in common with her.

Of course even the best-meaning communities will have their reservations about strangers, especally from a hostile neighbour, so no surprise here. And of course the nobles of Archenland wll ahve their own political agenda that a strong-willed queen would stand in the way of.

I loved the scene of Hwin entering Cair Paravel best - it's such an amzing piece of humour with s deeper layer below as well.

And I think some reviewers haven't got it that in your story, true to canon, Hwin and Bree are not married to each other...

Lovely fic, plese write more of this - there are lots of Narnian characters that tend to be neglected.