Reviews for Memento
Master of the Hellish Yard chapter 1 . 8/17/2014
Dear Francesca Monterone:

A very beautiful piece with a very well-chosen musical accompaniment.

Ludwig's behaviour throughout this is very well reasoned, in my opinion. It suits his characterization and the time period's events. Those few lines of Roderich's actions were just the perfect touch, as well, especially that he was following along with the words.

When you mentioned the Allies, you left out both China and Canada. Canada, I could assume, was a stylistic choice due to his invisibility and how he wasn't really given much say or credit through the war, thanks to Arthur, but I don't understand why China was left out, unless it was because he is from Asia and not Europe?

Aside from that, I have only good things to say about this piece. The length is very well-chosen; much longer and it would have been repetitive, much shorter and it would've been too concise for the emotions it brought out to have come. The last lines are a wonderful way to close this, and Ludwig's uncertainty of what will happen well shows how he has no say any longer.

All in all, quite well done.

Regards,
Master of the Hellish Yard
PRAUS chapter 1 . 6/26/2012
Had to add this to my favorite stories list (I'm a sucker for anything Prussia and/or Germany). . ! I love visually compelling stories and the way you write evokes such powerful images. Now every time I listen to the "Kyrie Eleison" I see the church, the coffin, everything! Just wonderful :-)
Kay the Beta chapter 1 . 12/26/2011
Very powerful. It's very nice to meet you, Francesca (I'm Kay by the way *waves* and I’m sure you can guess who sent me here). I myself have sung the Requiem Mass and it is honestly one of the most exhilarating and moving pieces I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. And just like the mass itself, this story is an experience. I decided it would be appropriate to listen to the Requiem while reading this and it just made it better. You could feel Ludwig’s sorrow, anger, betrayal, and determination to stand strong as amplified by the music itself (I love the Confutatis). I have a soft spot for the Prussian, and seeing his dissolution portrayed in such an artistic way was very refreshing. Truly a wonderful job. Thank you very much for sharing your vision.
Agog chapter 1 . 11/25/2011
Wow. Really that's all I can say. Jeez I could imagine that funeral, it just seems like it would fit PERFECTLY into that time period, how Gilbert would be buried due to being around for a long time, but the victors would attend and be arrogrant and Ludwig would be alone. Cripes this was a beautiful story. Brava!
actuallysolluxcaptor chapter 1 . 11/6/2011
Gawd that was a beautiful story! When you mentioned the Allies you forgot Yao...but anyway I really liked that, it made me cry.
Rebel-to-Write chapter 1 . 10/9/2011
Jesus Ave Maria... that was beautiful. Perfect for Gilbert. I'm a closet catholic myself, (raised presbyterian though) and that was gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. How alone he feels and how sweeping it all is. I am stunned. Utterly stunned with how well done that was!
VampireNaomi chapter 1 . 10/7/2011
I've read so many fics about Prussia's death that every time I start a new one, I think that I'm beyond being moved by this topic. Your story is one of those that have proved me wrong.

This was simply gorgeously written, and Ludwig's perspective was just heart-wrenching. You really made the reader feel his pain and loss. Brilliant job!