Reviews for Chessboard
Guest chapter 1 . 11/13/2014
Love this story! Please make a sequel! Thanks for writing it!
dylan chapter 1 . 8/16/2014
The jedi has die
padawanahsokasnipstano chapter 1 . 5/13/2014
will you be adding to it?
CJ-T-Bone chapter 1 . 3/30/2014
Awesome stuff. :D
Kmdarkside chapter 1 . 1/1/2013
Sad...
jayma chapter 1 . 9/2/2012
This was great! Exactly what I needed to read! Thanks!
Bennett chapter 1 . 6/4/2012
That was pretty cool. You really captured Rex's thoughts well, like, how it was a major struggle for him to kill his own brothers in order to help Ahsoka. Really nicely done. Can't wait for more!
Queen chapter 1 . 10/20/2011
Wonderfully done. Fabulous job with exploring Rex in here, be it his considering the deaths of his brothers or of Ahsoka and her presence and meaning to him. - And the Order 66 sequence and fight - wow. It shows how very deadly Ahsoka is, but also how deadly Rex is as well, and how hard it would be, physically and mentally, to have to fight off these men who a moment ago were friends and allies. The friendship and respect between Rex and Ahsoka is palpable here, and it makes Rex's siding with her all the more poignant, as he tries to do what is right instead of what is easy or what he is told.

The final image and sound - marching footsteps in the dark - incredibly eerie and ominous, as well, and a chilling way to end a terribly sad story. Really, this is a truly well done Order 66 fic, and a pleasure to read.
AwRiter chapter 1 . 10/7/2011
You have a very good style of writing. Nice job on this story :)
laloga chapter 1 . 10/7/2011
Fantastic story!

I thought you did a great job capturing Rex's dilemma here, how - no matter what path he chose - he would still have blood on his hands. Really liked his thoughts in the first part of the story, how he is kind of cynical, but still committed to the Republic and his duty, which is why, I suppose, the Order itself presents such a problem for him. Loved the relationship that you developed between him and Ahsoka, how it was professional but friendly, how they seemed to regard one another as equals rather than "captain and commander," though there was certainly that element. Great job with the subtle attraction that Rex felt as well, and I got hints that it was not one-sided. :)

The most heart-wrenching moments (for me) were when Rex turned on his own men, noting the individuals that he cut down, recalling memories of his men even as he killed them.

Their conversation in the cave was beautifully done. Honestly, this entire story seemed to walk a careful balance, being neither too heavy nor light with angst, violence or emotion. I will say that I *almost* skipped it, due to the "M" rating and the mention of "gore" in the description, as I am notoriously wimpy about that kind of thing. But it was not nearly as bad as I was expecting, so I think you could drop the rating down to a "T" and be just fine. I am glad that I took a look, though! Definitely worth it!

Again, wonderful job! I look forward to more Star Wars fics from you, if you are so inclined. :)
sachariah chapter 1 . 10/7/2011
Same guy... just realized my phone's autocorrect swapped "physiology" for psychology. My bad. :P
sachariah chapter 1 . 10/7/2011
Quite simply, I am in awe.

First, I should note that I appreciated your simple explanation of the physiology of the clones, and how it applies to Rex specifically. I'm not very knowledgeable in that area, and it was nice to see terms applied to the ideas that I've personally seen an appreciated for some time already. You know, it can be frustrating "seeing" a concept, but not having a term to put to it. Very well put.

But the story itself... just sheer brilliance. I'm a Rex/Ahsoka "shipper", or so they say, and have written (and am in the process of writing) Rex/Ahsoka post-Order 66 scenarios. This is the epitome of everything I love about the potential scenario. You balance Rex's individuality, his "experience outranks everything" mindset, his hint of a rebel inside (as we saw with Cut L.), along with his core conditioning, his loyalty to the Republic and his brothers. And you balance it perfectly, in my opinion.

You portrayal of Ahsoka, and her relationship with Rex, was equally excellent. I strong mutual respect, perhaps suppressed attraction, at least on Rex's part, but mostly a deep understanding, and mutual trust. They're not in love, or anything outlandish, but they know each other, depend on each other, and have many things in common, despite their vastly different positions in life. I love how you lay out Ahsoka's conflict regarding the clones; perfectly in-character for her. She does care for them, she wants to treat them like individuals, but she's really in an impossible situation, beyond her control. And Rex recognizes that, and tries to set her at ease. The fact that the two of them can even discuss such a difficult subject meaningfully is a sign that they really have a deep connection.

Obviously the core of this tale was the fateful moment of Order 66. Again, I'm in awe. I've written Rex in this situation, and I've attempted to incorporate these same factors, but I don't believe I've come close. The conflict in Rex was simply breathtaking, and as thrilling as the action that followed it. I really don't know what to say; this is perhaps the best written moment I've seen for Rex during Order 66, on this site. I was truly moved at his decision, his "moment of truth", as it were. It was heartwrenching, and beautiful.

I'm glad they managed to escape, though from the description I was actually surprised. Then again, Ahsoka is a deadly capable Jedi, and Rex is as experienced and more.

The scene at the end... so sad and dark, and yet lovely, in a way. This line here gets to me: "They each had nothing, and they were united in their poverty." It's so sad, and yet so true. I love how you hint that he feels a mixture of attraction and longing for her, yet its still tentative, and weighed with guilt and betrayal. They can't make the darkness go away, but together... maybe they can lessen the gloom.

Honestly, I feel I'm rambling. This is definitely my all time favorite one shot of these two at Order 66. It's a potent piece, combining everything I like about both characters, in a setting that is vivid and plausible, and with an outcome that, while satisfying, does chilling justice to the cruel reality of their shared loss. There are a couple technical details I might quibble with, but on a whole... TCW will never measure up. This is an epic piece.

Wonderful, excellent, fan-kriffing-tastic work.