Reviews for Cope to Make a Change
eitoph chapter 1 . 10/8/2011
Why is this the most amazing fic ever? Seriously. I don't actually know why you think that your interpretation of the theme was off cause as I pointed out in my superdooper spreadsheet, this is pretty much the fic I've always wanted to read. Brennan's fame kind of fascinates me and you've dealt with it in such a realistic, awesome way that I'm just falling over my own feet in love with.

"Telling the team is the easy part. There's awkwardness of the we-didn't-even-know-you-were-together-and-now-you're-having-a-baby variety, but Booth and Brennan have never been traditional and something about this makes sense in a very abstract sort of way."

I knew I was going to love this from the first line. That dynamic with the team who are thrown by the change is always something I wondered about, and you put it so neatly into this opening. Straight away it's smart, perceptive and fun.

The way they dance around the whole issue of publicly announcing her pregnancy works so well. His misinterpretation of her holding back, her reasons - they create this very interesting tension and straight away it draws you in.

The magazine moment is pretty much what I had in mind. You've made it completely plausible for this story, right down all the little details about why she'd be photographed in the airport, or even the part about the photo:

"In it, he's reaching for the extended handle while his other hand cups her stomach, and her eyes are focused somewhere past his shoulders. Ten seconds earlier and the photographer would have captured the awe in his face and the indulgent smile on hers, but the moment of intimacy has gone unrecorded and the photo is unexceptional save for the reverent placement of his hand."

All of these are just the smartest little details. It blows my mind the way you make things so clever and so real.

The fight itself was the best kind of intense, and I was glad for Angela being able to come along and show some of that pregnant girl solidarity. I'm not quite sure how I missed the line:

"It may have gotten her arrested a time or two but at least assaulting people produced far more satisfying results."

the first time I read this, because its one of my new favourite and funniest moments. Also, any excuse to see Booth with a gun, or beating the shit out of a punching bag is also appreciated - you've packed so much goodness in here I don't even know what to do with myself.

The ending, of course, is my favourite. They're so sweet and they're trying so hard and they eventually just get there. I laughed when she had to call her publicist again and I cheered when she asked him to come to her interview. I felt all these feelings with your characters because this was such an engrossing read and just really, really wonderful. Thank you for taking my admittedly complicated prompt and making it lovely :)

(p.s. second wind! Reviews galore!)
Anne chapter 1 . 10/8/2011
Your story was perfect.
lyssa414 chapter 1 . 10/8/2011
Oh my God, this is just awesome!

I think this is a very realistic approach to their relationship and I can totally see BB having these types of conversations...

Thanks and hope you write more...
jenheir1 chapter 1 . 10/8/2011
OMG, fantastic emotional conversations...I was totally absorbed. Great job!
Fourth Rose chapter 1 . 10/8/2011
*squees* Oh, this is seven kinds of wonderful! It seems so perfectly real for them to tiptoe around each other, each of them desperately trying to get everything right until it blows up in their faces over some detail that may not seem all that big in itself, but brings all the underlying issues to the surface. I'm 100% certain that these two will need at least one huge, messy fight (possibly more) before they can begin to adjust to their new reality - and like you, the sunshine&rainbows promos make me assume that they must have gotten a lot of that stuff out of the way in the six months we didn't see, because the exited season 6 with a ton of baggage they hadn't even begun to tackle, and now that they're suddenly finding themselves moving forward in their relationship with breakneck speed, it's not going to be smooth sailing all the way. I loved the way you made them pull through in your story - I think that every difficulty they overcome will make it easier for them to believe in the future of their relationship, because I can't see either of them being fully confident from the beginning, considering what is past them.
NatesMama chapter 1 . 10/8/2011
This is fantastic. And very realistic, because you know that nothing between them is ever going to be all sunshine, rainbows and puppies. Well done.
FaithinBones chapter 1 . 10/8/2011
Very nice. I can imagine that when they have a blow out it would be pretty intense. That's how they are. On the other hand, when they want to make up with each other, I really imagine that would be just as intense.
CJsMom chapter 1 . 10/8/2011
Loved it.

I can totally see them being super careful with each other and then having the dam burst over some seemingly small thing and suddenly all hell breaks loose. Just because they've both finally gotten to the place where they say, "I choose you" doesn't mean that all of their differences magically disappear. And, you've got to figure they're both going to be over-thinking what the other is thinking and trying to prevent misunderstandings, which will likely just lead to misunderstandings because when you say or do what you think the other person wants instead of actually sharing what you actually want or feel, bad things ensue. Wow, that was a run-on sentence. Sometimes I get carried away.

Also, when Booth got to the Hoover all I could think was, "What about the groceries!"

And as a side note: I never never never go grocery shopping with my husband because he drives me crazy at the store. Seriously, I'd rather take both my kids and a handful of their friends with me by myself than have him along.
sleeplessinatlanta chapter 1 . 10/8/2011
This was just plain fantastic. So in character, so realistic, and with just the perfect blend of angst and fluff. Thank you for this! :)
crazeeria chapter 1 . 10/7/2011
SOOO GOOD! I could totally see where her issues are coming from and how Booth misreads why they are there.
geraghtyvl chapter 1 . 10/7/2011
Wow...Kudos to you for being spoiler free. I have to admit I am a spoiler hog! Anyway, I just love this story and your telling of it!
harper83 chapter 1 . 10/7/2011
Excellent story! I loved it!
dharmamonkey chapter 1 . 10/7/2011
I think you did an excellent job with this. I think two of the biggest issues that B&B are going to have to deal with if they are to be successful long term (religion being painfully obvious) are fame and finances. You worked both of those in here, the former obviously more than the latter. And I think your handling of this issue rang very authentically to me (to hell with the canon or the Season 7 previews). Awesome job. Bonus points for sending angry!Booth to the gym *and* the gun range to work out his angst. Because that's just sexy ;-)
Biba79 chapter 1 . 10/7/2011
They try to keep from repeating mistakes and instead they manage to make new ones, but they try.

That is so true. They will make many mistakes now, especially because they are together.

He thinks that she's ashamed. Of their situation. Of him. It's not his words, but his tone; she's come to know it better than anyone's. She understands this and she's frustrated because he always claims he's forever trying to catch up to her when in reality, she is always racing to catch up to him.

OMG. This totally broke my heart. How he thinks she's ashamed of him, and yet they are trying to catch up to each other. I love how you wrote that, Ren.

They are strong apart and stronger together.

That's so true. and what are you doing to me. So many emotions right now and I'm not even half way through the fic.

"Let's get out of here, mama."

Brennan shakes her head. "I'm not going to protest the title. It will only encourage you."

You need to stop that right now, I'm grinning like a fool now. I love how she likes the title, but she has to say something, it's their thing you know.

Brennan deliberates and then grabs the rest of the magazines from the rack.

"What are you doing?" Booth asks cautiously.

"We need to buy them," she says.

She's going to buy all the magazines? lol Of course she is. I love how shocked she is that they printed this story, I guess she doesn't know too much about gossip and media, but I bet she's about to learn.

"That's pretty clear," Booth scoffs. "You keep us so far hidden from everything else because we're obviously such an embarrassment to you. Or is it just me, Bones?"

Oh no! He did not just say that. I feel bad for Booth that he feels that way.

"Well I'm not," Brennan stresses vehemently.

Why did she lie? Nooooo! I feel like she's trying to protect her privacy way too much and it's going to backfire on her. I hope Booth didn't hear that.

"I have never thought of you as an embarrassment. I find being associated with you very pleasing, Booth. Always."

You better tell him Bren. Seriously, we already knew that. She loves him. It's time for Booth to know too.

This baby and Booth are new to her and she has no desire to share either one of them with anyone who does not absolutely need to know. She feels that they are, quite simply, hers.

I love how possessive she is of Booth and now their baby. That's why she didn't want to share their news, because this is so new to her that she's afraid she won't have it for much longer, and that my friend it's why you are a wonderful writer. The way you write just makes my heartache for these characters.

This was so brilliant, omg, you are freaking awesome Ren. It was beautiful how well written it was, the emotions, theirs and mine, it was totally there.

Thank you.