Reviews for Brothers
tanseynz chapter 1 . 1/14
I think this is very beautiful, and Ellis Peters would have been impressed.
JolieBlack chapter 1 . 11/27/2013
Oh dear oh dear, you're breaking my heart, I think. Well done, well done. I've scarcely read a fic that was as heart-warming and heart-breaking at the same time. I don't think I ever wanted to read about Cadfael dying, but I must say it is interesting to imagine Robert as abbot, Father Mark as a fully fledged priest, Olivier and Hugh as solid middle aged fathers of families...
It's a great idea to have some rehabilitation for Brother Jerome. I think you've really hit the nail on the head with his characterisation. I really enjoyed reading your idea of why he became the way he is, it is totally convincing. I also like the subtlety in your writing - for example how Cadfael never calls Robert "Father" and Robert never calls Cadfael "Son" - that's just spot on without wasting many words in explanation. Well done, again.
Amdg3x7 chapter 1 . 8/25/2013
Lovely and amazingly well written. Follows the books perfectly. Please write more.
Ming Xiong chapter 1 . 8/7/2013
This was beautiful. I loved this part:

"Olivier," Cadfael breathed, "Olivier…"

The olive-skinned man entered with a soft smile, eyes full of concern.

Cadfael turned to Jerome. "You have taken me…into your confidence, brother. Now let me…take you into mine…and introduce you…to my son."

It was very touching, and I really liked how you depicted Cadfael's relationship with every one - the part with calling the abbot by his full title instead of just "Father", and the abbot still calling him "Brother" was spot on.
Edhla chapter 1 . 6/19/2013
Beautiful, heartfelt little piece, and the ending was just the highlight for me. I did find the use of so many ellipses in Cadfael's speech a little distracting after a while, though I know you were trying to convey weak speech of a dying man, and I'm not sure how else you'd go about doing that. Enjoyed this x
Nonny A chapter 1 . 3/15/2013
This was a lovely story, truly in keeping with the books. I don't usually read death stories, but this was beautifully done and enjoyably touching to read, very much in character. I hope you write more Cadfael stories.
Guest chapter 1 . 3/1/2013
Beatilful. This brought tears to my eyes.
Amity33 chapter 1 . 12/28/2012
A heartfelt story about a favorite novel series. Your writing style is excellent and you have the facts of the novels down very well. I truly hope you'll write more Cadfael fanfics in the future.
bloodshound chapter 1 . 11/21/2012
a most excellent end to one of my all time favourite series... beautifully in character and that is so very like something cadfael would do.
thankyou for a wonderful story.
Rishie chapter 1 . 11/6/2012
o that's wonderful! I read this too late or I definitely would have voted for it. It's the perfect ending to cadvael's story, very well done!
goblin chapter 1 . 10/20/2012
Well, I've wanted to read some of the 'Brother Cadfael' series by Ellis Peters for a long time now, but never managed somehow. Now I definitely will. Your story is sad, beautiful and very well written, and I liked it a lot. Good work!
kamelion chapter 1 . 8/23/2012
Lovely!
dart53 chapter 1 . 4/30/2012
What an absolutely lovely piece of writing. I think you've captured the characters extremely well and the wording and use of language makes me feel like I've just read another in Ellis Peters' series.

dale
kahpfan chapter 1 . 4/4/2012
I only just today found that Cadfael had a section on this site after being a member for over 6 years. This is beautifully written, well crafted and well in keeping with the books I love so well. It reduced me to tears and captured that awkward relationship between Robert and Cadfael really well, I also felt that you wrote the interactions between Jermone and Cadfael really well.
tkilyle chapter 1 . 1/8/2012
I wish I had seen this in time to vote for it in the contest. Made me cry damn it.