Reviews for City Without
Kairan1979 chapter 1 . 12/28/2014
While I like Doyle, I doubt the new crimefighting duo will survive long.
Harm Marie chapter 1 . 5/17/2012
This was very good.
jenefaner chapter 1 . 3/2/2011
Very nice! Id like to see you continue this, maybe have a run in with angel. that would be fun to read!

Well done!
the 85th writer chapter 1 . 1/5/2009
It's an interesting premise, with Angel not really believing he has the tight to live among people anymore. And Doyle being the wonderfully underdog-y antihero. And Cordy! Go Cordy!

The only thing I didn't like was your line of thought that Angel finally met his end as a pile of dust in the sunlight. All those years of misery, leaving Buffy and living alone / defending alone only to go up in fames one unfortunate sunny morning? That would just be too depressing.

I'd rather believe that Angel wuold hear about this 'crime solving' duo / or Cordelia would *make* Doyle find Angel. Better yet, Doyle has Angel getting ass kicked vision, the three knock out the current Bad, and then Cordelia knocks a boatload of sense into Mr. Permanent Case of Broodface.

:D

Nicely written though, even if it had too little Angel for my taste :P
J chapter 1 . 12/6/2005
Fantastic. This would be good to continue, if you feel like it.

If not, thank you for the contribution.

I find it a bit hard to believe Angel wouldn't search them out after hearing what happened to them, I kept waiting for it.

It might be interesting to see if he asks to join, but with Doyle remaining in charge - he IS the hero, after all. Cool.
Cazziene chapter 1 . 1/4/2005
Wow, really a great story. You had me reading all night, I just couldn't stop. It was really nice how you didn't just use the dialouge from the episode, like in so many other AU fics.
Otahyo'ni chapter 1 . 11/30/2004
Dang, you're good. Just watched this episode a couple days ago. Enjoyed your twists and parallels.

Must. Devour. Rest. Of. Stories...
Ambrosia chapter 1 . 5/29/2004
Aw, it was so kewl how u gave doyle a past *beyond* his regular old 'past' - and the Powers wanted him b4 and it *failed*... omigosh, that wld b a pretty good segway 2 a not-quite spinoff.

U know, as in it's not *so* connected 2 Buffy & hers that there's too much reason 2 involve her in every little thing, but there's still cordelia, a pretty minor player in the Scheme of the old show, as an official Tie 2 the old show, and a reminder of y they're allowed 2 exist in the same World and have that same nifty Motif running thru the show.

Except 4 the part where doyle reckons that sumwhere down the road angel came faced sumthing he cldn't handle, and then disappeared into a sudden puff of glittering vamp ashes. But it really cld have worked as a legit indirect spinoff, if angel had chucked a faith & decided he shldn't, lest he bcome *type-cast*... and then hopefully maybe, with all the new fame and responsibility of The star role of a tv show, without a yucky american accent, that poor gorgeous guy who was also doyle might have, u know, cut back on sum of his worse habits, and he cld have survived, with the show AND wesley and spike as surprise guest stars - new side-kicks/muscle, and then it cld have been this whole wonderful pommy indirect spinoff of buffy, but in the americas, and with cordelia...!

Oh but that's another thing, u never once mentioned one of doyle's absolute best features - his charming irish accent! Which is odd, bcoz even tho he sumtimes came across as a suspicious-looking fellow, there's few who cn withstand such a pretty sound as an irish accent. And he surely wld have recognised it from long ago and played it up a bit..? Think of that movie "go" & the part with the red-headed guy & his friends rampaging around las vagas... that's kinda the sortta thing I mean..?

But anyways. I luvved ur story. U kept it real, b focusing on doyle's inexperience and ineptitude at being The Champion - but maybe a bit much..? It was really painful 2 sit by & see doyle getting so bloodied up & knocked about.. sure it'd b way too convenient 2 let his demon side b as powerful as angel, but if only it were a *little* more potent... I was kinda hoping 4 a slight x-men infringement, and he's discover some special demony power which never came up bcoz he was always so focused on supressing - such as being able 2 sort of *shoot* the spikes from his body ala marrow/spyke from x-men, so that he'd have a unique combat technique 2 develop..? But they'd have 2 b in places other than his face, too. Which they cld b still, since his transformations were always vaguely descriptive and focused only in headshots.

but yeh, this was a really great angle to work from, especially since shortly after *they* end up coping without doyle. I've often wondered about if maybe he'd managed 2 stay clean & on the show, the plots wldn't have deviated from the reasonable so often and frollicked among the ridiculous enuff 2 get cancelled, or at least 2 b strong enuff 2 stand without needing 2 lean on intertwined plots with buffy. U know, maybe with doyle keeping the visions cordelia wldn't have lost so much of her initial character and wldn't have bcome angel's love interest but possibly wesley's, and who wants 2 c an irishman bcome a *higher being* (no offense) but yeh, so no *higher being* cordelia, so no posession by the jasmine searching 4 a body, so no cordy sleeping with connor who was as good as her son 4 a good while, and hey! Possibly no reason 2 even have a jasmine & a connor & an 'impossible birth* scenario! So maybe, darla wld have never been pregnantised, never tasted a soul in her vampire body & killed herself, so she wldn't have been parted from dru plot-wise as much, so maybe they cld have saved spike's character from going down the tubes as well! Ah yes, the snowball effect. Or a *domino effect* even, but with less emphasis on communism! Ahh, if only...

But yeh. never wld i have imagined an Angel without the angel. Clever, very clever. Sorry about the excessively rambling review, tho. I'll stop real soon, promise.

Umm, in conclusion, just wanted 2 say that there were no technical flaws in ur story at all, it was nice & long & in one installment & well-written & these are a few of my favourite things! The couple of things that were suggested 2 maybe enhance some aspects of ur story were of opinion only, my feeble way of attempting 2 Contribute & nudge the review so it leaned a little more 2 the "constructive" side of things if it even worked, but really ur story was luverly. Of course starting the series off with all doyle & no angel wld have had its on chain reaction on consequential episodes, given doyle & cordelia's abilities, but still - wldn't it b so FUN and KEWL 2 c how the show wld have played out, without angel? For instance, i doubt they'd ever make 'friends' with that annoying police woman who disappeared without a word. And wld the lawyers consider them such a dire threat as in angel's world? And wld spike have come across way earlier, as in b4 buffy finished, if the show turned out 2 have more going 4 it & bcoz they needed some more indirect buffy references, which cld have still maybe drawn dru at least..? Oh, so many possibilities... oh well. U gave a great story there, nonetheless. i cld really feel the *spirit* of doyle's character working thru the story too, which is impressive since we never saw that much of doyle's pov on the show.
TriscuitTheFlyingSnkCracker chapter 1 . 3/26/2004
What you did here was very brave, and it turned out brilliantly. Not many people can take an episode and rewrite it without lapsing back into 90% of all the dialogue from the show. I buy Doyle as the shabby hero more than I ever did Angel, who had everything going for him. Who had the Bond car? Angel. Awesome cash-defying apartment? Angel. Gets the girl and walks away into the metaphorical sunset? Angel. Dies nine episodes in and leads a miserable life? Doyle. Doyle, who has no superpowers, 'cept his demon heritage which he doesn't use. I hated the idea that you had to have superpowers to fight the good fight. If you didn't have any special powers going for you, you didn't have much of a point on Buffy anymore. (Read: Giles and Xander) I thank you for showing what Doyle really is, rather than some useless guy who doesn't have magick, super-strength or infinite rice pudding. I loved it.
shiny silver grl chapter 1 . 1/29/2002
Oh wow...LOVE this fic! It's going on my favourites, right now :) The characters are written beautifully in character, and the story is interesting (love AU...always so many possibilities!). Oh man...I wonder if you have any sequels to this? I'll have to go check and see what else you've written; I really enjoyed this :) Have you thought of tackling more episodes from this perspective? Would be great!
Gyrus chapter 1 . 7/19/2001
Very nice. I'm normally not big on either AU fics or first-person narratives, but that is mainly because few of them are written as well as this one. This is AU fic the way it's supposed to be - a chance to see the road not taken, a new set of possibilities born of one decision made differently. Doyle's "voice" is captured with great authenticity, and the plot is adapted from "City Of..." in a way that is believable but still entertaining. Overall, a very good read.
Sonya chapter 1 . 1/25/2001
I just love this story! Great "what if" idea! Very groovy! :)
Sanguinary chapter 1 . 9/29/2000
Well written and very good. I enjoyed a different perspective.
Milkman7 chapter 1 . 9/27/2000
Great Make a Sequel
Sheryl chapter 1 . 9/25/2000
Great fic! I love Doyle. He and Cordelia played well off each other. Plus he's fun and not as serious and brooding all the time like Angel. PLEASE WRITE A SEQUEL!