Reviews for The 10 Worst Things about Harmony Fanfiction
I found this while searching (seemingly fruitlessly) for general fanfics with a H/Hr viewpoint, but all I seem to encounter are Super Harry, Weasley bashing, Dumbledore bashing, abused Harry and/or soul bond fics. And since I despise bashing in any form whatsoever, it's a quick way to get me to lose interest. It's driving me up the wall! :( I'm glad someone out there agrees with me, through I really wish there were an easier way to find like-minded writers like you. :(
szaleniec chapter 1 . 6/16/2014
An excellently-done takedown. :) A few thoughts:
Super Harry: I don't mind if his extra powers create as many problems as they solve, rather than just serving as an excuse to breeze through plot complications as if they weren't there, but that's the exception.
Weasley/Dumbledore bashing: 100% agreed. They weren't perfect and made mistakes (when it comes to Dumbledore, a good chunk of Deathly Hallows is about Harry coming to terms with this) but the same goes for everyone.
Brilliant Hermione who isn't: I take it this refers to a Hermione who's set up by the narrative to be as amazing as Super Harry but isn't ever given the chance to show it, and acts as Harry's subordinate rather than an equal partner. Especially when she's turned into a damsel in distress who needs to be rescued from evil!Ron despite him being described as a "s*** wizard". (Mentioning no names there...)
Lord Harry: Hate it. Especially when the newly-crowned "Lord Potter" uses his status to be an insufferable d***head to everyone he encounters, which is often.
Eternal Downfall chapter 1 . 6/6/2013
While I do hate most of them absolutely, especially the bottom 4, I do believe that there is nothing wrong with a good bit o' Weasley bashing, as long as it is in good fun.
The Burning Heart chapter 1 . 1/10/2013
Super Harry - While I don't normally like these stories(The truly over the top ones), I do like Powerful Harry and Not the pussy version we had in Canon.(Driving a hundred dementor's was a cool trick, yet he struggled with two in book five, Totally outclassed by snape in book six and killed Voldemort by trickery, not skill)

Weasley Bashing - Come on, Ron Deserves it, and don't get me started on the Crap that happened in book six.

Dumbledore Bashing - If one person thinks this character did any good, please go check yourselves into hospital as your quite mad. - Let me guess you believed Snape loved lily too? - Hahaha

Abused Harry - Harry was abused, He was locked in a cupboard without food or light, only allowed out when they wanted him to do chores. Cinderella had more freedom than him.(If you think he wasn't then, I have a bridge to sell you)

Safe Hogwarts - No idea about this, since canon is fine with the dangers.

Mechanics - No idea what his means.(Do you mean, ways around the person not dying, like a huge magical explosion and such? if so then I agree)

Brilliant Hermione who isn't - Am I correct in the assumption that this means, that she never did anything brilliant? - if so then, i can agree to a certain extent.

Lord Harry - loathe this, and owner of Hogwarts - Horrible.

Gringotts to the rescue - This is so so, depending on how you write it.

Soul Bonds - I know this is used a lot and most of the time its done wrongly - ie a kiss and BAM they are in love, But done correctly it can work(Telepathy is not hard to imagine)

Any way I have no idea what was the point of this since these things can be found in any Pairings stories.

Time Travel works, since its needed to fix the god awful plot holes.
Fem Harry would never work - since the Prophecy has to be a male.
Older Harry - Possibly, but only by two or three years.
Twins - could work.
Dimensional Travel - Again works.
Super Rich Harry - Don't like this, more like normal rich is fine.
The Founder surnames - Nope, doesnt work.
Pendragon Surname - Works, since Morganna was magical and attended Hogwarts.
Mr Norrell chapter 1 . 6/14/2012
What some people who've posted comments are forgetting two things. The first is the title of the list: "The 10 Worst Things about H/Hr Fanfiction". While many of these tropes are repeated in fanfiction with other pairings this isn't simply a "10 worst things about fanfiction in general" list.

Secondly is that while I, and many others, clicked on this expecting a numbered list and accompaning rant about the items on it, DarkPhoenix101 chose to put this list in a narrative form, which means it's also based on Hermione's opinion and past. The Hermione in the story may have chosen to use the filters at the top of the page to find only stories with a H/Hr flair to them, which would be why certain disputed tropes are listed under the H/Hr pairing label.

Those who rush to defame the list on such a quibbling basis do more to reveal their own attitudes than to uphold anything on it
Proud Harmonian chapter 1 . 1/24/2012
I agree with safe hogwarts being on the list; hogwarts is not, and never was safe. at least while harry was thier. most I vehemently disagree with: super harry, harry is very powerful,he drove away alll those dementors at 13 and that is one example. dumnledore bashing, he should be bashed. he set up harry's life to be unwitting pawn and lead him like a lamb to slaughter without a hint of remorse. read proud mudblood bio. abused harry, anybody who thinks putting a child under the stairs cupboard is not abuse is loony. again read thw bio. same with the weasleys. enough my ranting. most authors give reasons why do what they do. besides nobody forces anyone to read them.
panhead4ever chapter 1 . 11/2/2011
This is awesome, I hate all of those things especially SOUL BONDING! It sucks, and everyone seems to like the thought of it!
blueisasome chapter 1 . 10/11/2011
This was very funny. I'm not a Harry/Hermione shipper but this sounds really good. My only comment would be that one of the items on the list is "brilliant Hermione who isn't" it doesn't say what she's not. It was seriously good though.
the dork knight chapter 1 . 10/10/2011
A great start. Can't wait to read the next chapter.

Also, for the most part, I do agree with that list. Though, I do tend to like some of the stories about soul bonds.
Paw Print Pajamas chapter 1 . 10/9/2011
you also forgot love potions... but that's usually tied to the Weasley/Dumbledore bashing. though I must I admit that I'm guilty of abused!Harry but that was back when I was still a new writer.
red24ly chapter 1 . 10/9/2011
You should add the harry/Hermione/multi pairings.
Shiho Kudou23 chapter 1 . 10/9/2011
Well, i agree for most of it, especially Abused Harry, Dumbledore Bashing, while i doesn't understand a few of it, mainly mechanics instead of sacrifice

for me, weasley bashing does not only come from H x Hr fics, i have also read fics of Harry x Luna with Ginny bashing, and even Ron bashing too, since bashing Ron, doesn't only comes about his relationship with Hermione, but with the inconsistencies of his actions, along with Ginny and mainly Molly Weasley. Even though i have stories that point out those inconsistencies, i doesn't put it along the lines of too much, or bashing as fics mainly call it.

With the soul bond thing, i think it's with he writer, i have read a lot of soul bond fics, and there are a few of them that are really good, and it's a very good plot and story part that depends on how the writer writes it, it could be a very good twist, or a very bad decision.

In Super Harry and Lord Harry, i also like it depends on how the writer does it, i doesn't like the trolling ability that within a goodnight sleep hes stronger than anyone, while the Lord could be a good plot advance too.

Sorry about this long review/comment. But i think you knew that what you wrote changes on every person depending on their views. But a very good idea indeed. Hope you update soon.
S058 chapter 1 . 10/9/2011
I agree, this is a pretty good list of anoying cliches.

You forgot three though, in my opinion.

1. Technomancy, which is God-awfully annoying, and stupid. What, NOBODY ELSE, in God knows how many centuries, has thought of this before?

2. Hermione's dad is somehow a former SAS/Royal Navy officer, who puts them both on some nutso regime, which includes firearms training, despite Britain's guns laws preventing that form happening.

3. Snape being made out to be a complete monster. Yes, he's a prick in the books. No, that's not justification to make him out to be a complete asshole with no remorse or second thoughts about doing all sorts of cruelty, and letting the Slytherines do similar acts with no punishment. Congrats, you've turned a 3-D character, into a 1-D cardboard cutout!
Shizuku Tsukishima749 chapter 1 . 10/9/2011
lol. This is so cute! XD Loved this! Rock on! Can't wait to see what happens when this is continued! *U* H/Hr forever! *U*
Katzztar chapter 1 . 10/9/2011
ahh nice plot but what I like best is that its an actual story, not just a list as some fanficers post. While all who post are fanficers, not all are authors.

I do believe I will put this on story alert.