Reviews for An Explanation Heard From The Grave
TenderRootCanal chapter 1 . 7/4/2013
The thing that always bothered me about the game was the relationship between Elsa and Cole. I was denying the sexual intimacy between the two until the big reveal in the papers after Roy ratted Cole out, but I can never stop asking myself,"Why?". Cole's long absences and obsession over the cases were an indicator to me that it was pulling Cole away from his family and that could create tensions but I didn't know HOW MUCH! Why go to Elsa? His confrontation with his wife over his infidelity left me cold that Cole couldn't explain the affair even to himself. Anyway, it happened and it's time to go back to something more importantly like my review. I like how parallel it was to my view on what could have happened in Elsa's apartment. So in that regard, I like how you crafted your idea. Also small nitpick, I noticed you had Elsa tipping the waitress a five dollar bill and that's ok but...well...the game is set in the 1950's and prices were much lower and also tips. I was wondering if that was intentional for Elsa to compensate for Marie's behavior and tipped the waitress A LOT. OR was it a small mistake?
RandomificationChaotic chapter 3 . 1/12/2013
I really liked this story. I really liked L.A. Noire in its entirety and I really didn't like the downer ending. I didn't really mind the loose ends and could tolerate the downer though because that's how Noir works. I don't really see the whole relationship being sudden thing but this is supposed to be a review so I won't talk about it here. Anyway, this was a very nice portrayal of Elsa and Cole. Marie seemed a bit too of the name-calling, hating type. I understand that speaking to the woman that supposedly stole your husband would make you hateful but it seems a bit overboard. The interaction between characters, other than that, was very well done. Cole just seems like someone who just lost his wife and Elsa seems like someone genuinely trying to comfort him. Other than throwing one too many names and insults, Marie was very nicely written too. I also like how it seems to fit in the Noir theme, most noticeably the bittersweet ending. Overall, it works well as an alternate interpretation of this aspect of LA Noire and is very well written.
ShadowCub chapter 3 . 10/1/2012
Cole was doing her, for such a smart guy after killing those people in war, he had no common sense on how to play the game.
Silver Azure chapter 1 . 2/14/2012
I gotta say this story was awesome, I kinda didn't like the ending to L.A Noire though, such a downer. I really enjoyed this though it was a good read, also I posted an L.A Noire fic and I hope you could take a quick gander at it but if you don't that's cool, I hope you write more L.A Noire fics in the future.

-Silver Azure
Our Mrs. Reynolds chapter 2 . 12/9/2011
I read this because I just finished LA Noire and LOVED it so much I needed more. I don't normally enjoy fanfiction because it tends to rest on its laurels, or the laurels of the originators, actually. But I think this is a lovely piece, really genuine and truthful to the source. You captured Elsa beautifully! She could so easily dip into stereotypical femme-fatal, but you've elaborated upon her character while keeping true to the original, well done. You've also got some lovely details of Cole's personality, like saying 'yes' instead of 'yeah' and becoming apologetic instead of more angry. I would say that Marie is a little 2 dimensional. She comes across more like a woman who's been called names by Elsa, or had her car fender dinged, rather than a woman who's lost her husband and the father of her children.

Beyond the technicalities of your writing, I'm really pleased and surprised that you interpreted this aspect of LA Noire the same way I did. I was completely unconvinced for most of the game that Cole and Elsa had had an affair - I thought it was a ruse to make Earl and the others show their hand. From the developments of the game, I mentally wrote a back story between Cole and Elsa and this is very much how it started. Yay :)

This is a well constructed and well told story and I'd happily read more.
East-Coast-Invictus chapter 2 . 12/3/2011
GAH. I literally just finished LA Noire, and I definitely agree that the ending was quite abrupt and left quite a few dangling ends. Cole and Elsa never did quite get the attention the rest of the story did, but this review will go nowhere if I start ranting about it.

Anyway, this is great so far. I think you have the characters down pat, the dialogue is realistic, and I enjoy it very much. I do hope you'll keep this going, as your profile doesn't have it marked as Complete. I love all the descriptions, the characterizations, all of it. In the meantime, I'll be off trying to complete all the street crimes and finding hidden vehicles.
tlc27 chapter 2 . 10/21/2011
Hmm, I really like how you portrayed this scene. I never thought of what you did. It's really insightful and stuff. I'm looking forward to the next update again :).
tlc27 chapter 1 . 10/10/2011
Oh my god, this is a GREAT idea for a story. I hope you continue this :).