Reviews for notes on a daughter
Kalanrae chapter 1 . 10/24/2011
Wow i really liled this for me i feel like you nailed how Azula and were really close for Ozi but i felt like some thing was missing not sure wat though he is hard to umderstand for me. Anyway! Great job :)
moonspirityingyang chapter 1 . 10/16/2011
Well, it was disturbing, but does it qualify as M... and I don't see Ursa whacking Ozai with things... I just... I get the wife-beater vibe from him.
Erichthonius chapter 1 . 10/12/2011
Wow, Ozai's sadism knows no bounds, and this was one of its milder forms! I enjoyed your portrayal of his twisted interactions with his family, and undoubtedly he'd be just as manipulative and cruel with members of his court. Given the kind of people that Ozai would attract/appoint during his brief reign I imagine the palace itself must have really become a vipers nest. No wonder the general at the war meeting had no fear about callously expending new recruits in a battle.

One thing that your story got me thinking, if Azula was so batshit crazy from interacting with Ozai where did Ozai get it from? Azulon is portrayed as a grumpy, short-tempered man in the cartoon, and a lot of fans have interpreted him as favoring Iroh. Could well be, though I think there's room for interpretation. But after reading this I wonder if Ozai's own mother, and Azulon's second younger wife, didn't quietly whisper poison into his ear as a child about his being a more worthy contender for the throne. And so the cycle repeats itself.
Irako of the Desert chapter 1 . 10/12/2011
Holy crap, this WAS effed up. I'm all sad now, I hate the thought of animal cruelty! What could have made Ozai such a crazy cheeseball? I mean, Iroh turned out all right, and they're related...

Awesome job on writing it. It was really effective in getting across the royal family's dynamics.
Scar-Faced Hundred chapter 1 . 10/11/2011
I must admit that I laughed at Ozai's incomprehension of the social unacceptability of throwing scorpidillo stomachs at small children. And then I was horrified at myself. :0 Also, yay for Ursa's Ozai-bashing with Love Amongst the Dragons! I knew it was good for something. :D I am so glad to find another Azula apologist - I must admit to have had a couple of Katara-like fits of righteousness in her defense. Children aren't just evil, and Ozai's dispassionate manipulation of her is the sort of thing that would bring the about the behavior that she displays in the series. I reckon this - if not the actual events within the fic, then at least the general gist of it - should definitely be accepted as canon. It just makes way more sense. Also, Zutara for life. Thank you for updating Not Stalking Zuko, which brought me here. :)

GaaraHinataWake chapter 1 . 10/10/2011
This was great, I like seeing the protective brother Zuko standing up to their father in this. When he stood in front of the entrails, when Ty Lee cowered behind him, when he drags Azula with him when their parents get in an argument. He is just so sweet at that age and his Zuko grumpiness has not yet influenced him.]

As for Azula, I thought that she was kind of bada** in the show, and I felt kind of bad for her when she went all crazy and stuff, and I do believe that Zuko would have been the only one that could help her after that. It just makes me want to get the common sense stick and whack Ozai over the head with it until he says "alright, I messed up. I shouldn't have treated my children that way." Or if that didn't work I'm sure if it was stuck up his a** he would be more acceptable to listening to the words of wisedom from everybody that was trying to tell him what he did was wrong. Oh well, it really was a nice insight to the thoughts of this crazy Firelord, and it kind of helped every one understand Azula a little more too. Nice job ;)
AnnaAza chapter 1 . 10/10/2011
Now I feel sorry for Azula. I thought she would be all like "yay! Torturing!," but I appreciate that she really, really was reluctant to do so, and that when did, she felt guilty and cried. I mean, Ozai killed her pet just because she disobeyed him! What kind of father would do that? And he has Azula kick Iroh's shins, say bad things about Iroh's wife, and poison, hurt, and kill the pets, brother, and mother. He never does those things himself.

It's interesting how Ozai doesn't refer to Azula as "Azula." He always calls everyone by their "titles." Is it because he doesn't want to get attached? Or maybe he did this most of his life? Ozai really does not have a sense of empathy. I wonder if Ozai could have been locked up if Azula told Iroh or someone with a high authority than Ursa (even though she hits Ozai—which I support—and keeps the children away from him, she is still his wife and a lower position) what was going on.

Is Ozai, I mean, does he have a mental disorder? Or was he raised like that too?
Em Dixon chapter 1 . 10/10/2011
I must be a weirdo, because I found this all sorts of amusing. I am not surprised by any of this behavior, and it's largely in line with the way I see Ozai. Though, I would add in heaps and tons and assloads of jealousy towards Iroh and Lu Ten, and a great deal of father hate, too.

I 100% agree that Azula didn't get that way on her own, and likely had some help from Ozai. I think he really did see her as a tool, something he could use to maneuver himself into a position of power over Iroh, and I don't think he's above petty retaliations when he can't strike outright. Your fic makes me want to explore this twisted father/daughter relationship more, too. I don't think Azula got off easy, either. Like you said, her experience was different from Zuko's, but no less traumatic.

If I could offer one suggestion, it would be to place some kind of breaks between the different journal notes. They're clearly grouped into several entries, and it would help to highlight that/erase confusion if there were breaks between them.
ArrayePL chapter 1 . 10/10/2011
Wow, you portrait Ozai like real sociopath. Great and disturbing chapter.
Kimberly T chapter 1 . 10/10/2011
Yup, this was just as creepy as I thought it would be!
PermanentlyFrozen chapter 1 . 10/10/2011
This actually makes a lot of sense. I love that you made this fic relatively dark, but you still let a tidbit of humour shine through. It's fun reading what you write!
26 | « Prev Page 1 2