Reviews for Runaway
anyother chapter 1 . 10/12/2011
I love it how Mick's character is evolving. Beautifully written, and as a bonus you give some insight in his mom and Dan as well. They do try, but you make it clear it's very hard for them to understand him.I'd give him a big hug, and his grandparents as well, if I could.
EHfan chapter 4 . 10/12/2011
Wow - what else is there to say? A seriously great story. I love how you managed to write from the perspective of so many different characters and give each of them a distinct voice.

And you are building up Mick's character is such a natural way. The early loss, the slow disillusionment with his mother, you show us how he is slowly becoming the man we know.
Brit-bound chapter 1 . 10/11/2011
Nothing tugged at my heart like your description of Mick sleeping with his back turned on the world, his arm wrapped around the blanket: how could she not have gathered him up in her arms? you've explained so much so beautifully.

I don't think I could stand it for him if you hadn't given him loving grandparents.

I was so touched, too, by the image of him in the photo with his little sisters. My son is the oldest of 4 girls and he was 10 when the third sister was born. For some reason, even though he thought of himself as really put-upon by all these little sisters that kept popping up in his life, he formed quite an attachment to Dinah JoBeth, and he carried her around for two years, long past the time when she could have been walking quite well by herself. The image of him wagging her up the steps at church every Sunday morning will be with me till I die, I suppose. She is probably still the sister he is closest to.

Your Mick reminds me of that happy memory.

The story was worth waiting for, but I have to tell you I was so afraid his grandfather was going to die somewhere in the narrative. I don't think I could have stood that for Mick's sake. If that's coming in the future, please give me a heads up and don't let me just walk into it cold.

I need to read the story again when I am much wider awake than I am right now, but I was taking one last look at the board, and when I saw your note I couldn't resist.

It's beautiful. Anglophile