Reviews for A Little Night Reading: Five Vignettes
Arpho chapter 1 . 4/13/2014
Wow, you really captured Sherlock brilliantly! The others were great too, of course, but Sherlock was exactly how I imagine him. I also really loved John's vignette as an ending. It put a smile on my face.

I only wish there was one with Moriarty curled up in a chair reading a book of fairytales. ;)
librarywitch chapter 1 . 9/12/2013
And a literary genius too! One of many talents and thanks for sharing them with us.
Karakehribar chapter 1 . 4/2/2013
Wonderful match of books to readers - I love how each person interacts with their book, & what that reveals about them. Fun set of vignettes!
Aly Teima chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
visitor chapter 1 . 1/31/2012
Next week, I have an exam on the Peloponnesian War and it'll be sooooo much easier to study now that I know Mycroft will be reading over my shoulder;)
minlin chapter 1 . 10/24/2011
I think Mrs. Hudson is very wise in her decision not to lend the book to Sherlock. I can see him actually enjoying Edward Gorey quite a lot, and then she's never get the book back unless John rescued it for her.
not paranoid enough chapter 1 . 10/21/2011
Although all of the books/articles each person read was very well chosen, I thought that John's was particularly apt. I really, really like the idea of reading Tolkien-there's something simply right about that.

I liked this story. It was well done and insightful xD
owl-eats-waffles chapter 1 . 10/17/2011
Beautiful and poetic, as always! I've really started to look forward to seeing that alert in my inbox- please keep writing!
Riddle Master 101 chapter 1 . 10/16/2011
Oh, love this story. Enjoyed it from the moment Lestrade got frustrated over Jack the Ripper, started really liking it on the one with Mrs Hudson, fell in love with it in Sherlock's bit (brilliant writing in that section, really carried the fever of his genius). And to think! This was all *before* you brought up my favorite Tolkien short story!

Anyway, great piece.

CrazyCousinEiko chapter 1 . 10/14/2011
Morgan... Have I ever told you that you're a genius? Yes? Well, it bears repeating-

You're a genius.

The way you've characterized them not only by what they read but also their reactions to what they read and why they read what they read are spot on! (Sorry if that was confusing wording XD).

Lestrade- not surprising in the least. I knew it at "London. His London, his beat, his responsibility." Could you sum up Lestrade's feelings any more truly?

Mycroft- he WOULD be the kind of guy reading ancient Greek texts. They were pretty fanous for their politics, after all. I like how you also showed that he isn't some ice cube politician- he does, somewhere, have a heart for the world.

Mrs. Hudson- The Gashlycrumb Tinies. I once saw a show on the telly that mentioned this book, and ever since then I've wanted to read that so badly. I'm honestly not surprised at her morbid sense of humour. It just fits! And I highly doubt Sherlock would give that book back to her. I know what Sherlock's getting for Christmas! XD

Sherlock- I can't imagine him sitting down and reading a book all of the way through unless it's REALLY engrossing. It couldn't be anything less than that. It seems more fitting for him to be flitting from source to source hunting down some culprit, even if it is just a cold case.

John- first of all, love the Tolkien reference! 3 I haven't had the good fortune to read "A Tolkien Miscellany" yet, but I would like to sometime in the near future... after I've finished Sherlock, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and the 12 books I've just borrowed from the library. XD Second, I love that he tears up at Tim's good fortune. He's the kind of guy who has a soft heart. I also love that he is so grateful for the good, little things in life like the privilege of being alive in a nice warm bed in a nice warm house with some tea and a good book.

I love these fivesomes! So supremely written, truly!

I can't wait for your next work of art! :D
The Red Fedora chapter 1 . 10/14/2011
nice story as always:) I think you matched each perfectly...though I agree a bit more with John's choice. Sometimes a story based outside of one's own time and space is truely the best means of escape:)
Arisprite chapter 1 . 10/14/2011
I don't know how you do it, but nearly everything I read from you gives me such a..I'm struggling to come up with the words, but a warm, homey feeling. The characters of Sherlock, John, Mrs. Hudson, Lestrade, and Mycroft, are just SO REAL when you write them. Not just real in the sense, that they eat normal things for breakfast, and bleed when someone stabs them, but they listen to music, and read books, and don't know how they feel about things (much like me reading this story, haha). It's a lovely story, all of them, and I bow to your talent at creating a life for these people, not just adventures. Thank you!

Sidney Sussex chapter 1 . 10/14/2011
Every time you write something. EVERY. TIME.

This was lovely, and the characterizations - as always - simply wonderful. But the books, the books you chose! I can't tell you how happy these made me. From gore to Gorey, perfectly matched to their readers, and (on a rather less review-y note) I had all but forgotten how great it feels to see things I love come up in fic (massive, silly grin on face at work of all places).

Thank you so much for this!