Reviews for Doctors Without Borders
Outasync chapter 1 . 9/14/2014
I like this explanation. The jump jarred with me, too. It felt wrong to just ignore Tom with no word on his absence. Mickey is a sweet guy, and I can understand the two of them bonding over the pain of losing out in the grand romance that is The-Doctor-and-Rose.

If Tom had to go, this is how he would have wanted it.
zoe alice chapter 1 . 1/4/2012
Oh, wow, that's beautiful. Funny and sad and... Wow. Very fitting.
Princess Pinky chapter 1 . 10/17/2011
I actually quite like this. I've always been conflicted about the Martha/Mickey pairing. On one hand, each of them got terribly mistreated by The Doctor and Rose, but they were both so fantastic in their own right...they just constantly got beat down, overshadowed, and mistreated. In that respect, I am happy that they each found one another, because they both deserved someone who was good enough for them and Rose and The Doctor certainly weren't, being at their worst. (I always hated The Doctor/Rose relationship too, but they were also bad individually as far as Martha and Mickey went.) But on the other hand, I feel that they were placed together because "they deserved each other." But not because they were so awesome that they deserved each other, but because they were both "the leftovers" and that's why they deserved each other. It was really crappy the way they ended up together, with no development and just thrown together at the end. (And don't even get me started on the disturbing racial aspects that it brings up!) Likely Martha and Mickey won't return to the show, so I doubt we'll ever get any information to fill in the blanks.

So that's why this fic intrigued me. I like that it took off right from the moment the TARDIS left. The characterization was nice, especially the interaction between Jack and Mickey. Cute! And I like that you explored how Mickey has probably been labeled a missing person, I never thought of that, so it works as a perfect catalyst into him staying with Martha. Also, their similarities were great and I liked that we got to see them discussing things they couldn't with anyone else. The whole time though, I kept thinking, "I hope we don't get the cheating trope or the I-think-you're-cheating trope from Tom" and I worried about his return. Strangely, I never saw his death coming. (Maybe that's because I was thinking that you might follow RTD's out-of-story comments about him being just a "rebound" after The Doctor, which...never made any sense and just conflicted me more about his motives for M/M.)

Anyway, update ASAP. I look forward to the next chapter, the end was really great!
Laughy-Taffy the Grape chapter 1 . 10/17/2011
I do wonder. I really do. Thanks.
Justine Lark chapter 1 . 10/17/2011
Oh my gosh, poor Martha! Did you have to make him die! I wasn't expecting that. I figured they couldn't maintain a ling distance relationship or something mundane like that... I liked Mickey's condensed life story, though I wish you'd have included his opinion of the events of School

Reunion & GitF. I also loved the little bits about Jack- "Don't start" and "Captain Flash." You should write more Mickey- I think you've got the hang of him.