Reviews for Somewhere in Latin America Fourth Episode
sheepstake chapter 1 . 12/6/2011
Percy's relationship with Henry was so well done and moving. Martin the idealist is yet another three dimensional character. The amount of thought that you have put into these compositions is truly remarkable. Waiting for still more!
Marianne Greenleaf chapter 1 . 11/20/2011
Heh... reading this, I wanted to shake Martin - the brave, idealistic fool! Poor Percy is going to have a hard time getting him out of the country... if he does, at all.

Once again, the descriptions are EXCELLENT - lush, elegant and vivid. As for the people, you have done a wonderful job taking the original characters and adapting them to this new, modern setting.

The tension of the dangerous situation they're all in is building beautifully - I really look forward to seeing the next chapter!
Belfast Docks chapter 1 . 11/11/2011
You have truly created a fascinating world for Percy and the rest of the League with your Latin American story! You continue with this thread in your fourth installment I see, by giving Percy an interesting background that made him who he is as an adult. But I will admit, though I found this chapter incredibly intriguing, I can't wait to see more of Margaurita and Percy's interaction! Great job as always!
slytherinsal chapter 1 . 10/18/2011
An interesting and revealing insight into Percy, excellent!

Martin should of course be writing an editorial in which he pokes gentle fun at both extremes by pointing out that he has recieved death threats from both proving him to me a rabid moderate... and I wouldn't leave either. Hate male is a form of academic recognition, I guess death threats just take it to extremes.

The plot thickens in finding out Armando's affiliations... and Percy's uncertainties about Marguerite
rthstewart chapter 1 . 10/17/2011
So, I thought I had you on alert, but I don't! This was just... oh Martin, you ARE a fool and you will be dead. He is so romantic in a way - very Dr. Zhivago like with his ideals and bravura and bravery. Percy's story of Henry was just lovely. It was touching and evocative and very useful in explaining where he is coming from.

Also, the description of the apartment was terrific - very rich and evocative. It's great to see you taking this source material and hurtling straight into issues of race.

Well done!
Elizabeth Marshall chapter 1 . 10/17/2011
Another triumph for Clio. I think this is the most touching chapter yet. As always, Clio's carefully nuanced descriptions bring physical space to life. We can feel the faded Oriental carpet in Martin's apartment under our feet and see his disorderly papers in front of us. We can also feel the strength of Martin's character and of his conviction as he plays cat and mouse verbal games with Percy, teasing out Percy's true motivations and feelings, sharing his own beliefs with the younger man and in the end, refusing the rescue being offered. Percy has met his match in Martin; the man is as stubborn as Percy is!

As we get a sense of the many correspondences between this AU and the original Orczy story, the chill of knowing that evil exists as surely "Somewhere in Latin America" as ever it did in revolutionary France adds resonance to this reworking of the classic tale.

Thank you, Clio, for bringing your formidable talent to bear upon this new take on our beloved Scarlet Pimpernel.