Reviews for Scar Tissue
december wastelands chapter 1 . 12/15/2013
oh, wow.

this was beautiful. thank you so much for this story.

okay, i'll stop being mature. YOU DESTROYED MY SOUL.

so like i was a bit confused at the beginning, but it sounded like a really interesting setup with the factory one thing! i managed to get wiress had synesthesia (judging from her inability to form words, it sounds a little like she may have had some form of aphasia?), and how she's not just thinking with cold logic but emotions too, but without being temperamental and illogical and out-of-control.

beetee, too. asdfghjkl; i've always been a beeteewiress shipper (and incidentally, the mention of wiress made me open up this oneshot because c'mon, she's so -underrated-), both platonically and romantically, and how it's subtle but doesn't take over the storyline and they don't exclude marchessa and the rest (bonus point for lgbtqiaplus representation, btw!). and the little thing about beetee being attractive and it's so *cute* considering how he used to be cold and just. ;A;

and like marchessa i really really like marchessa! excellent oc. also, i felt like she and johan could have been elaborated on a little more but they were both really excellent and also mac, but also elaboration. idk. anyway, i thought you'd show wiress dying (i may/may not have remembered she dies halfway through the oneshot) and maybe marchessa betraying them when beetee and wiress were pro-rebellion, but no. happy-ish ending.

but i'm crushed anyway because asdfghjkl; HOW. THIS WAS BEAUTIFUL.

—mary
mxnhpfreak chapter 1 . 6/21/2012
OMG. I love your fic :)

I keep thinking there should be more info about the other districts. Particularly 3, because I'm a nerd and I love nerds :)

I love your fic... I love it. I have nothing negative to say about it.

Thank you for sharing it!

BTW, I'm off to read your other THG fics. You have a new fan xD
MaxRide05 chapter 1 . 5/31/2012
You have managed to portray the gradual shift of B/W's relationship in a... fairly unique way; not quite romance but much deeper than friendship. I loved it.
Essi chapter 1 . 4/25/2012
I adore your portrayals of Wiress and Beetee. They were my favourite characters from the series. It depresses me that she had to die. This is always how I imagined their relationship: downplayed, subtle, but very meaningful.

You should write more about Nuts and Volts. They are terribly underrated characters and you write them so well.
NutsandVolts chapter 1 . 4/2/2012
I like it. A little fast-paced, but I write like that, too. I like your Wiress - she's really Wiress-y from the very beginning, and not a lot of writers make her "that way" from the beginning and succeed. I think you did.

N&V

PS: I have to say this - it's synesthetic. Sorry. :)
CoffeeIncluded chapter 1 . 4/1/2012
THIS. I love Wiress and Beetee, and the way you portrayed them was just...perfect. And I'm almost thankful that they're middle-aged in Catching Fire because my mental image of Wiress is a longer-faced, glasses-less version of my best friend and that just makes it so much worse.

Traps. Wit. Intelligence. It's all I've got and it's all they've got and that's a huge part of why I love Wiress and Beetee so much.

"He's not here. Been called up to the Capitol for Snow knows what." Oh no. Oh no no no no no.

"When he calls her in a few days later to give her the ultimatum – her body or her unknown parents, her few pre-Games friends, everyone in the Community Centre (not Beetee, and she really shouldn't be this grateful when so many others are being threatened) – she wishes she had listened to her mentor. She accepts this offer, because what else can she do? She is not a killer; she's made that much clear already."

...This is what would happen to me. Because I would tell Snow, "Fuck you and the horse you rode in on," and then he'd tell me, "Your body or everyone you care about," and I'm a healer, not a killer, and...

"Once and only once," and this is where I break down.

Snow needs to die. I hate him. They've been through enough, dammit!

"I don't know. You'd need a comparison, and I don't have one. I don't think it helped me. Might have even made it worse, because I had the knowledge of what it's supposed to be like in my head."

And again, this hurts so much for me because I'm such a tactile person, and...And even with the knowledge of what it's supposed to be like in my head, I'd take it anyway because then, at least once, it'd be my choice to make.

...Though part of me wonders who Beetee was with that time. It's okay, I won't pry.

How they keep getting broken and then build themselves back up again, the little family...

"And it should be obvious, really. This might be the closest to formal acknowledgement from either of them, but there has been something between them for years which both have been aware of. A mutual unspoken connection.

It stays there for years as they grow emotionally closer and closer. Not physically, though – they're both too broken for that, as wistful as it makes them both sometimes."

"She glances over to the chair next to hers, positioned closer than anyone else would be able to get without severe injury. Beetee smiles back at her. Under the table, their hands reach for each other simultaneously.

This isn't her happily ever after, but it's as close as she can get."

And you see what is and what could have been and how Snow destroyed everything (I got the sense that they were both celibate but not quite asexual) and then Wiress gets her throat slashed just a few years later and ahhhhh...

This is a beautiful story. Thank you so much for writing it.
Aurora-Borealis Coyote chapter 1 . 3/28/2012
I've always wanted to know more about Wiress. She was very interesting and a character I enjoyed. I also wondered about the relationship between her and Beetee since they seemed to understand one another. You seem to really work your way into her complicated mind and I really loved this piece.

"She still doesn't know how many people her machines killed. She doesn't want to know." Yeah...I'd imagine she'd feel guilty about it but the guilt wouldn't manifest itself in a regular way.

"As they get closer and know each other better, Beetee gets better at translating for her, until she can swear he can almost read her mind. She can read him, too. They can say as much in a look or a gentle touch as others can say in a hundred words, now." ohhhh my heart

Aw...the end was rather bittersweet, not just because I know that they will have to go back to the arena but because even if they didn't they'd never really gain the happy ending.
kopycat101 chapter 1 . 1/4/2012
Wow, this one was great.

Like, REALLY great.

I just couldn't stop reading! I was HOOKED!
WOKgeotobi chapter 1 . 11/28/2011
I really love this story, it warms my heart. It's such a shame i know what's going to happen in the end :(
marblesharp chapter 1 . 11/19/2011
Not only did you succeed in fleshing out Wiress, but Beetee and their relationship too. I'm indifferent about what type of relationship they actually had, it's up to debate, but your romantic version in this is so endearing and is expertly unfolded with each drabble thingy.

Your Factchild idea is very original. Did you really come up with it? If so, you're a boss. If not, doesn't matter - it's still a great idea for D3.

Amazing oneshot!
Martina chapter 1 . 10/27/2011
Oh God, I love this! You write extremely well, I love the way you use your characters and everyone seems to be so IC.

Keep up the good work!
Zelda12343 chapter 1 . 10/24/2011
Sweet story. I loved your description of Wiress and Beetee's relationship.
PK9 chapter 1 . 10/20/2011
First, an apology. Because my procrastination is partially to blame for your lack of D3 reading material.

On to the review: I love this oneshot. I think you did an amazing job painting Wiress as a character, taking the very little canon information and expanding on it beautifully. I love the way she thinks differently from everyone else. The relationship between her and Beetee is really sweet.

I'll never see District 3 exactly the same way as you do, especially with regard to the Factory One stuff, but that's fine. It's consistent with your earlier stories. (I also imagine Beetee as being the second D3 winner, with one winner coming in the very early years before the Careers were established.)

Is Beetee winning HG39 something you just came up with, or is there some canon basis? I have him winning HG41, but I don't think I have any canon reason other than Wiress being about Mrs. Everdeen's age and Beetee being somewhat older. (Also, if Wiress wins 6 years after Beetee, wouldn't that make it HG45, which is Chaff's year?)

Nice seeing some insight into the mysterious Marchessa. I wonder what's gonna happen with her in Saving Fire. And Johan, of course.

Interesting that you included the forced prostitution. I never thought of District 3 being very attractive to the Capitol population for that purpose, and I know you didn’t want to include it in your Johanna fic. But it’s definitely plausible and their reaction to the situation is realistic.

Anyways, great job! Hopefully I’ll provide you with some D3 reading material soon.
melliemoo chapter 1 . 10/19/2011
Excellent story, just sad it's only a one-shot! You captured Beetee and Wiress both how I imagined them to be. I liked how Wiress was essentially different from the start, and not just crippled by her Games and age.
FrictionalGames chapter 1 . 10/19/2011
Really not feeling wordy today, so I'll keep it quick: Great job, loved it. Two thumbs up.