Reviews for Those Who Love Monsters
ayleid chapter 5 . 2/25
Oh, my.

Being a fan of gabriel blessing, I took a plunge and read that story despite having barely even heard about Monogatari. It was a captivating piece, but most interesting were the author's musings about his take on the horror genre, especially when I recalled other stories of his that qualified as such.

The theme of struggling and surrendering before the inevitable was played straight in this case ; though, true to character, Medaka puts her life on the line to keep the fight going. It was played with in Don't Look, where both characters had individually surrendered before deciding to fight for each other ; and yet the shadow of the inevitable still loomed behind their shoulders, forestalled and challenged but never truly vanquished.
As for Wabi Sabi... Well, it was a mind-screw of the highest order. The inevitable was encountered, challenged, and defeated, yet we were told the clear limitations of Ikki's mastery over death. The inevitable was acknowledged and we know it was only postponed, yet its temporary defeat was no less uplifting.

In any case, this cements gabriel blessing as a truly great author. Reading his work, I found myself once more dumbfounded, awed, entranced, speculating, laughing, facepalming, cringing, calculating, cheering, contemplating. I deeply respect a writer that can stir me so and elicit such reactions out of me.

Gabriel, i wish you the best in your endeavors.
Ja ne !
Flamingcheesepie chapter 5 . 12/11/2014
Holy shit this is a beautifully written piece. There is all of the emotions going around. Really, I don't understand how some people write so well. I think it is a gift that you should treasure forever.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/8/2014
I am the only one that remembers that Medaka was perfectly willing to accept Zenkichi failing to solve the riddle until he got flustered andsaid that Kumagawa must have done something to him, and so the Medaka of this fic is horribly OOC?

Yeah, I must be the only one.

Fucking perfect, Blessing.

Thanks for ruining another series.
pltrgst chapter 5 . 10/14/2014
nooo! conclusion!
pltrgst chapter 4 . 10/14/2014
i wouldnt say perfect but id say, great end!
pltrgst chapter 3 . 10/14/2014
reminds me of those models from yamato nadeshiko.. why didnt you name them after that?
pltrgst chapter 2 . 10/14/2014
oh.. i thought you toss her into that weird "nothing".. even misogi wont be able to survive that, i think..

im liking this more btw!
pltrgst chapter 1 . 10/14/2014
well.. id say i have seen this fic before and i regret not reading it earlier!
cequvarire chapter 5 . 9/17/2014
Great. Really, great. I've read through about a third of your stories by this moment and felt the need to drop by and review now. Most of the stuff I've read so far follows the common theme of male protagonist with scary resolution lurking underneath the surface accomplishing his goals while encountering interesting female characters. And a few male ones, I suppose.

This is not (necessarily) a bad thing. If you handle it well (and far too many times I've seen it done so, so badly).

And you succeed.

The characters you present are interesting, loyal to their canon origins but given more depth, more perspective and further evolution. You juggle different characters splendidly and manage to present both charming points, flaws and more without compromising on their uniqueness. To me, a key value in reading your story is how you manage the interaction and developing relationships between the characters. Having many females interested in one male (and, though rarer, the reverse) is something I've seen many, many, many fail at. It makes me especially happy to find an author who can do this well.

Though I honestly did not see Sakaki coming in the HSDK one. Props for that.

You bring your stories in interesting directions and explore ideas and themes from canon in greater depth and from unusual perspectives. As an avid reader, this uniqueness is something very appealing.

The new themes you throw in have been great so far - learning new things is another favorite of mine when reading.

That you actually finish your stories is another big selling point. No matter how much I like seeing a story continuing, conclusions in fanfiction are a treasured rarity to me.

There is more I could write, but I consume more fiction than I produce responses, sadly.

But before posting this, I just need to let you know. That ending line - about him ending up living in Medaka's shadow?

Brilliant. Beautiful. Insightful. It was an exceptional ending, and you should be proud of it.

Thanks to you, I have much pleasurable reading to do.
So keep up the good work - it is greatly appreciated.
polarpwnage chapter 5 . 9/10/2014
Beautiful ending, amazing job as always
Biblio388 chapter 5 . 7/15/2014
That was definitely a work focused on horror like you said. It is one of the two most focused on this aspect or genre that I have read and both of them will probably be remembered longer than any of the happy stories I have read. I wonder why it is that I recall the bad more easily than the good? Maybe that is just another part of being "human".
Biblio388 chapter 4 . 7/15/2014
A little surprised how this went down and yet not surprised by how it ended. I have read a few stories with Monster in the title and have found them to be good, if dark, stories. Glad I started reading this and will look forward to reading more from this author.
Biblio388 chapter 3 . 7/15/2014
I have to admit that this is a very odd story but I am enjoying it none the less. It is interesting and the character interactions are intriguing.
entelejent chapter 5 . 7/2/2014
Woah. Took a while to get into reading it, and it didn't suit my preferences, but the author's skill was admirable as usual.
Lockman776 chapter 5 . 6/15/2014
It's a good story in a sad kind of way. I mostly steer clear of this kind of story, but by the time I saw where it was going I was to invested too stop. This story really killed my buzz I suppose I should have seen the writing on the wall.(heh) Anyway it was still a good story though I stand by my preference for happy endings.

Other than that I have no criticism to give. As far as I can tell this story was solid, and I look forward too reading more of your work. Till next time then.