Reviews for A Quarrel of Oak and Flame
dreamflower02 chapter 3 . 2/18/2014
Oh, this is just marvelous! I love this game of argument and counter-argument between Thorin and Gandalf! It speaks to the character of both, and reveals Gandalf's true power.

I've often wondered if that evening at Bag End Gandalf made subtle use of Narya to aid him in his convincing of both Bilbo and Thorin...

I really like this; I have a website for links to "The Hobbit" fic written and posted prior to 2012. Would you mind if I linked to this one there?
DownliftedAndUnderwhelmed chapter 3 . 9/12/2013
Thank you for this!
It is beautifully written, and the characterisation is superb.
What a pleasure to see these two strong minds clashing.
IluvatarRules chapter 1 . 6/3/2013
This was absolutely amazing. I love how you display each dwarf's, Gandalf's, and Bilbo's characters. It was great how you show Thorin's greed for the Arkenstone since it is a really important fault in him and leads to so much conflict later on. The scene with Thorin's sister was also very well done. It made me very sad considering Thorin's, Fili's, and Kili's end. I really loved it all, though. Very beautifully done.
MrsThorin chapter 3 . 3/14/2013
This Fic is so amazing - It must be the best I've read in a LONG time :)
MrsThorin chapter 2 . 3/14/2013
Why is it that I end up crying by the end of these chapters...
I imagine Thorin being slightly more traumatized by the news of his father's captivity
MrsThorin chapter 1 . 3/14/2013
Actually cried at the conversation with Dis.

My precious Thorin...
Perelynn chapter 3 . 1/27/2013
I'm impressed. Very deep fic, and very richly written. I will be re-reading to catch all the little niceties. Thanks for writing this.
Ewelina chapter 3 . 1/21/2013
Wonderful story, DJ! It reminds me of "The Unfinished Tales". I often wondered what were Thorin's concerns about his first meeting with Bilbo. And the part about saying goodbye to Dis and Thorin's motivation for taking Fili and Kili - priceless!
ceallaig chapter 3 . 1/20/2013
Really excellent! I'm not a Tolken scholar, and only passingly familiar with any of the writings beyond Hobbit and LOTR, but the way the other stories are worked in make sense to a novice like me. Beautiful writing style, and everyone's 'voice' is accurate. LOVE putting in the bit with Dis and her anger at taking her sons with him.
Noleme chapter 1 . 1/18/2013
Delightfully Middle-earthish and rather canon-respectful. Good job!
Rachel chapter 3 . 1/9/2013
This is incredible. Somehow, you combined Tolkien's writing style with your own, and created something that belongs perfectly in Middle Earth. While I was reading this, I forgot that I wasn't reading something right out of The Hobbit. This is wonderful!
BM originally chapter 3 . 12/20/2012
This was absolutely wonderful! You captured the soul of the characters so very well, bringing them to sharp life in my mind. I could picture the story in my mind and could almost smell Gandalf's pipe and hear their voices! Excellent job, and I hope you have others! I especially like your handling of Thorin!
Auua Ytjoml chapter 3 . 9/26/2012
This was great! Have you ever considered retelling the entire journey to the Lonely Mountain from Thorin's point of view?
Saraleee chapter 2 . 6/21/2012
I just love the song. It's brilliant. You have captured Tolkien's style perfectly throughout the story, but the song is really my favorite part.
Goldleaf83 chapter 3 . 5/7/2012
I stumbled on this pretty much accidentally, but I'm highly impressed: your writing is vivid and fits well with Tolkien's style. You give greater character definition to the individual dwarves than the novel achieves: I particularly enjoyed the debate over hammers vs. axes. Balin stands out too, in his argument for Moria, foreshadowing his later fate. It was also wonderful to get some family background on Thorin and his sister, and your portrait of Fili and Kili as youngsters enjoying being treated as grown up was very appealing. While I certainly remember from the novel that they're Thorin's nephews, somehow it had not occurred to me that they are of course the next heirs to the throne and that's why Tolkien has to kill them off at the end of the novel. You bring up the significance of that familial connection very deftly.

Your Thorin is exceptionally well developed too: so mindful of the pressures of his position as exiled heir to the kingdom, so desirous of regaining his kingdom and restoring the honor of his family, so aware of the dangers that will beset them in embarking on this quest. His disappointment in Bilbo is reasonable, and thus his suspicion of Gandalf is too: you make him both perceptive yet believably limited in his insights. And Gandalf himself speaks very much in his own voice: you've done a great job in capturing his grim mood and caustic speaking style. Finally, I have to mention the song, which is one of the hardest things to write convincingly but you do an exceptionally fine job with.

Overall, this is a most excellent story that fills in the gaps of that auspicious evening from Tolkien's book!