Reviews for The Dutiful Son
Teobi chapter 19 . 5/12
Hallelujah! I have never been so happy to see Mrs. Bates in my entire life. She rose in Norman when he needed her most and used Norman's strength to give Richman exactly what he deserved.

What I love about Norman is that he will use his very last bit of strength to stand up in defiance. He is not a weak man and never was. Shy and unassuming maybe... at least to begin with. But there was always a self sufficient streak in him, a sense of self preservation that comes forward when there is nowhere left for him to go. Really, the only person who can stop Norman is Norman himself, and of course, his Mother alter-ego.

What a shock to find the asylum was so close to home!
Teobi chapter 18 . 5/12
Wow- chapter 18 is intense and chilling. Norman almost killed by that murderous quack... drifting in and out of memories, of his conversation with Marion in the parlor, about private traps, and mother... it was nice to read the actual dialog from Psycho, it brought a tenderness and poignancy to what seemed to be Norman Bates's last moments on earth... god that poor man, as if he hasn't been through enough. I could picture his contorted face so clearly... I cannot imagine the pain of being electrocuted... thank goodness for Stafford... I'm sure Richman rang all the alarm bells with that insane little speech he gave in chapter 15. I bet he killed the guard too, just to frame Norman. What an evil prick.
Teobi chapter 17 . 5/12
Margaret needs to get Norman out of that horrible situation. Come on girl, fight for your man before there's nothing left of him!
Teobi chapter 16 . 5/12
So I'm back to continue reading, and the first thing I want to do is PUNCH RICHMAN SQUARELY IN THE FACE! I thought my anger would have diminished, but no. Richman's doubling of Norman's electroshock treatment is more than I can handle.

There's only one psycho in this story and that's the 'good' doctor. Where's Mother with her carving knife when you need her?
Teobi chapter 14 . 5/11
Poor Norman is so tormented. I don't know how Richman gets away with being such a bastard. All because Margaret doesn't want him. I want to reach through my laptop screen and punch Richman squarely in the face.
Teobi chapter 13 . 5/11
Agh! I did have my doubts about whether that lunatic guy actually existed! You literally cannot take Norman Bates at face value, which makes it so hard to separate reality from psychosis.

Then again, Richman could be lying and the guy DOES exist!

Nooooo... *bangs head against wall*

But at least Norman has a reason for his actions, unlike Richman who is just being a monumental, and dangerous, jerk.

You asked for predictions but I don't have any because with Norman's state of mind and Richman's evil doings, ANYTHING could happen.

But meanwhile, I lose myself in Norman and Margaret's kiss. More romance and less skull duggery, plz. :D
Teobi chapter 12 . 5/11
Dammit, there's only one person who deserves electroshock treatment and that's Dr. Richman!

All this 'treatment' is certainly taking its toll on Norman's angelic looks. Pretty soon he'll be the gaunt, suspicious-eyed character he is in Psycho II.
Teobi chapter 11 . 5/11
OK, I'm so caught up in reviewing as I go along that I'm missing things. The guy wasn't banging on Norman's door, he was banging on his own door.

I'm gonna have to hold off commenting and just concentrate on reading. Sorry 'bout that, but I need to focus!
Teobi chapter 10 . 5/11
So! Here we have it, the reason why Richman's being such an unprofessional bastard. I had thought he was going to be a sympathetic character but you pulled the rug straight out from under my feet.

I feel more should have been made of the guard's killing when it happened, because of the effect it's had on all involved. Maybe a little bit more about what's happening beyond Norman and Margaret, unless the whole point is only to see things from Norman's POV.

I'm guessing it was the lunatic who banged on Norman's door a few chapters back.
Teobi chapter 8 . 5/11
I can't believe Richman thinks Norman killed the guard. They must have cameras or witnesses in a busy hospital. Wasn't Norman locked in his cell?
Teobi chapter 6 . 5/11
'The soft brown eyes of an angel'. Perfect description.

The interaction in this chapter is beautiful and quietly profound. Margaret is torn by her feelings for Norman, and we understand why, because we are all a little bit in love with Norman Bates. Because loving Norman Bates is the most dangerous thing we can do, because of what lurks in the shadows.
Teobi chapter 5 . 5/11
Whoah... Mother's trying to kill Norman... sh** just got real.

Norman's condition is so unique, complex and difficult. I can't imagine what it's like to have another personality so strong that it literally takes on a life of its own.

There's a train of thought that Norman always knew what was going on and went along with it willingly, but you explain it perfectly, and with great sympathy for Norman. He HAD to go along with Mother. She was too hateful and determined for him to resist.
Teobi chapter 3 . 5/11
Oh dear- looks like we haven't seen the last of Mother.

You write Norman so well. I can hear Tony Perkins's soft tones coming off the page. (And Mother's harsh ones.) I also like the contrast between the logical Richman and the emotional Margaret- although Richman does have his own little neurological quirks like only walking on the blue tiles.

I am always looking for well-written stories that concern Norman in the hospital and this one fits the bill perfectly. I salute you. On we go!
Teobi chapter 1 . 5/11
Excellent start. 22 chapters and a completed story- I'm really looking forward to getting my teeth into this!
Dark Alana chapter 22 . 2/9/2015
Love it. Sorry to see it go; but happy that Norman is free of his mother. Great story. ]
51 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »