Reviews for A Summer of Flotsam and Jetsam
excessivelyperky chapter 10 . 3/22/2014
At least Severus is now thinking of living all those years to atone (although you have to wonder how many years for the Marauders to atone, how many years for Albus to atone-but I keep forgetting, Gryffindors always get a free pass).

Harry really is far more forgiving than his mother, too. Waay more.

And they share nightmares.
excessivelyperky chapter 9 . 2/23/2014
Yes. Severus had a family, all right; a family that didn't really love him, and Lily, who betrayed him. Of course Harry would trade his orphan status for that-or would he, if he'd known so much pain from them? (of course Harry has all his friends and the Weasleys, too, and Snape never had that. Harry ought to remember how Dumbledore betrayed *him*).

And it would have been far too painful for Severus to read that book, because the characters in it had everything that he was denied.
excessivelyperky chapter 8 . 2/18/2014
A rainy day, yes, that's the right time to visit Spinners End.

And yet, Harry think it's better than Privet Drive.

That's the difference between the Dursleys and Snape.
excessivelyperky chapter 7 . 1/21/2014
The parallel between Spinners End and Harry cupboard is awesome. And I expect the Whispering Willow isn't the only thing at Hogwarts that doesn't strike out at people if they come too close any more. Harry deserves to have a nice, decent year-and so does Snape (in fact, this might be the first nice, decent year Snape has ever had, and I'm so glad he's letting Poppy take care of him).

But Harry needs to see Spinners End. He really does.
excessivelyperky chapter 6 . 12/20/2013
Very good chapter. I'm glad that Snape and Neville had their talk by themselves, though; both are willing to be quiet to think, and Harry would have tried to run interference.

As for Remus being a great teacher, I beg to differ-having the whole school know what your greatest fear is...probably a bad thing at Hogwarts (not to mention the special cases of those with Especially Exotic Home Lives).

I do love the way Harry talks about Teddy, though.
missgsmith51 chapter 19 . 12/13/2013
I've just finished a reread of Moment of Impact; Regards, Harry; One Man's Island; and A Summer of Flotsam and Jetsam. I must say that the series loses none of its impact as a reread. You are a gifted writer who has taken beloved characters and made them shine. I'll say it again: I love your style. Thank you again for the gift of your stories.
excessivelyperky chapter 5 . 11/18/2013
I am very glad that Severus is going to see a mind healer-his trauma in life began about the same time Harry's did, given the family he grew up in, and was much less relieved by friends or help of any kind. It's clear that he and Harry share the same idea about such trauma-bury it and drive a stake through it.

And yet, that doesn't work as much as people think it does. I hope Harry can see someone, too, someone he doesn't have to worry about dumping on.
excessivelyperky chapter 4 . 11/15/2013
You know, almost everything that Snape says about Harry's wounds, not having a life, taking longer than a summer to recover, is true of him, too. Except he doesn't have anyone really looking after him.

And it's sad that both he and Bill automatically assume that he'll never have a woman in his life that wants to have his children.

As for the twins being brilliant, too bad that Montague's parents don't think so. But nobody cares about him anyway, sigh.

I do love Harry and Ron trying to talk about their respective girlfriends/ sisters (Hermione a de facto sister of Harry) without trying to kill each other. It's hilarious.
excessivelyperky chapter 3 . 10/26/2013
A wonderful chapter. But both Arthur and Severus forget that Snap has been a parent to a number of his Slytherins over the years (this generally ends up being forgotten in Snape being a dad to Harry stories). I remember a hysterically funny story, whose title I cannot remember, about him having to counsel a frantic first-year girl who was not given the Talk by her parents-yes, *that* Talk, and the need for certain feminine supplies).

But Harry is actually behaving like a normal teenager now, God help us all. Neither he or Snape know what normal is, really, so they're sort of winging it.

I wonder if Snape ever found out that the twins were the ones who nearly killed Montague and left him permanently brain-damaged? Alas, what happens to Slytherins doesn't much matter here anyway.

Still, a good chapter.
excessivelyperky chapter 2 . 10/18/2013
"James. Not Dad."

And all the rest. Not really surprised that this anger is coming out, especially from George (Fred is Traveling, and probably will be till George catches up to him).

Only Molly accepts Percy. Unfortunately, it's been that way for a long time, and someday Percy will slip away again.

I'm glad that Harry wants to be a rock for Severus, though; with Snape watching over everyone, and trying to fix the school long-distance, he needs to heal, too.

Maybe Severus ought to write some names on the sand and scream at the ocean, too.
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 10/13/2013
Well, Severus deserve peace and happiness, too. One hopes that he doesn't have to live them vicariously through Harry for all the rest of his life, though.

I'm amazed that Teddy didn't pee on Harry (see, I know how little boys normally react to being changed).

Wonderful chapter.
missgsmith51 chapter 18 . 8/25/2013
Questions ... because I'm curious. Why was Harry sitting BETWEEN Ron and Hermione and not BESIDE Ginny? What did the hat ask the girl who bellowed at it?

You know, when you think about it, Draco and Narcissa helped Harry ultimately achieve his goal. Draco knew well and good that it was Harry Potter in his house ... yet he refused to identify him. Narcissa could have given him away there in the forest, once she got what she wanted from him ... but she didn't. Do you suppose Harry will ever ask them why? If so, will he get an answer?

"Have you forgiven me, Severus? That I'm the one that lived? And not my mum?" That was a powerful question. I'm surprised he hadn't worked it out by this point ... or maybe, knowing Harry, he needed to hear the words. The ending is perfect. I'd not heard the song, so I went to Youtube and listened to the Lea Salonga version. It was perfect. Thank you for a beautiful story. I was so sad to reach the conclusion ... until I read that you were going to write more in this arc. :) I can't wait to read them.
missgsmith51 chapter 17 . 8/25/2013
What a fun chapter! You need an artist to draw Minerva hula-hooping!
missgsmith51 chapter 16 . 8/25/2013
Beautiful chapter! I only wish that the Phoenix feather had been in Harry's hand when he awoke. I would also like Severus to have found a Phoenix feather on his bed in the morning. I'm not sure why ... I just would.
missgsmith51 chapter 15 . 8/25/2013
I can tell that Severus is really a parent at this point, because it's easy to see his inner war going on. It's painful to balance his wish to safeguard Harry and let him heal at his own pace with his knowledge that Harry must move forward in order to heal.

"It wasn't only your war, Harry," said Severus softly, so that only Harry could hear. "It wasn't only your fight." This is what Snape tried to make Harry understand all of that 6th year, why it was so important not to go into the hunt and the fight alone. And really, Harry didn't dispatch Voldy on his own, did he? Neville destroyed the last Horcrux. Ron and Hermione destroyed two, as well. Perhaps now his heart can finally accept what his head must have known for a while.

It must be painful, too, for Severus to acknowledge that Harry's fear of fame and being noticed-which was really always there-is so utterly opposed to his original assessment of Harry as arrogant and seeking the spotlight. How he must mourn the years of love he lost due to an inability to look beyond his prejudices and see what was really in front of him for five years. Then again, that awareness is why his new life and SON are so unspeakably precious to him now. Nice chapter ...
636 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »