Reviews for A Summer of Flotsam and Jetsam
excessivelyperky chapter 14 . 6/4/2014
Wonderful chapter. Had to blow my nose at the song for Marius (as you well hoped, I imagine).

I love all the family and bustle-the bouquet with the roses was wonderful and special.

And when Harry finishes growing and marrying Ginny...what then?

Snape is in his early 40's at most. When does he have a family that doesn't really belong to someone else? He could easily live six more decades; that's a really, really long time to spend alone.

Dumbledore did; but frankly, that's not a recommendation.
stephanD chapter 19 . 5/2/2014
A revisit to a most touching story. I haven't read Tuesday yet as it was unfinished when I first discovered your stories. Coming back to read the finished book I decided to review. Amazing story! I'll be rereading the others as well but must head on to this final chapter first.
excessivelyperky chapter 13 . 5/1/2014
Wow. This seems like a casual chapter about the sea, and about mourning Fred, and mourning for George, who will never be the same (but then, Montague will never be the same with his permanent brain damage, either-he's quite forgotten, alas, and Snape never knew his attacker).

And yet, Snape is definitely healing, or he would never have gone into the sea the way he did; and Harry is healing, or he wouldn't be able to talk about the things that are still bothering him. Molly is healing, because she can admit to mourning her loss as well.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Let the sea bear the burden of Voldemort's remains.
excessivelyperky chapter 12 . 4/15/2014
Oh, having Harry give his story to the Wizengamot at the cottage and on the beach? Brilliant!

It's something that Albus would have done, but please don't tell Severus that.

He needs the healing properties of the sea as much as all the rest.
excessivelyperky chapter 11 . 4/5/2014
Yes, among all this fun on the beach-the trials are starting.

Luna sees more clearly than everyone, I think.

And Molly will love the beach as well, and be glad to help.

Why is Snape going to be gone at a different time than Harry, though?
excessivelyperky chapter 10 . 3/22/2014
At least Severus is now thinking of living all those years to atone (although you have to wonder how many years for the Marauders to atone, how many years for Albus to atone-but I keep forgetting, Gryffindors always get a free pass).

Harry really is far more forgiving than his mother, too. Waay more.

And they share nightmares.
excessivelyperky chapter 9 . 2/23/2014
Yes. Severus had a family, all right; a family that didn't really love him, and Lily, who betrayed him. Of course Harry would trade his orphan status for that-or would he, if he'd known so much pain from them? (of course Harry has all his friends and the Weasleys, too, and Snape never had that. Harry ought to remember how Dumbledore betrayed *him*).

And it would have been far too painful for Severus to read that book, because the characters in it had everything that he was denied.
excessivelyperky chapter 8 . 2/18/2014
A rainy day, yes, that's the right time to visit Spinners End.

And yet, Harry think it's better than Privet Drive.

That's the difference between the Dursleys and Snape.
excessivelyperky chapter 7 . 1/21/2014
The parallel between Spinners End and Harry cupboard is awesome. And I expect the Whispering Willow isn't the only thing at Hogwarts that doesn't strike out at people if they come too close any more. Harry deserves to have a nice, decent year-and so does Snape (in fact, this might be the first nice, decent year Snape has ever had, and I'm so glad he's letting Poppy take care of him).

But Harry needs to see Spinners End. He really does.
excessivelyperky chapter 6 . 12/20/2013
Very good chapter. I'm glad that Snape and Neville had their talk by themselves, though; both are willing to be quiet to think, and Harry would have tried to run interference.

As for Remus being a great teacher, I beg to differ-having the whole school know what your greatest fear is...probably a bad thing at Hogwarts (not to mention the special cases of those with Especially Exotic Home Lives).

I do love the way Harry talks about Teddy, though.
missgsmith51 chapter 19 . 12/13/2013
I've just finished a reread of Moment of Impact; Regards, Harry; One Man's Island; and A Summer of Flotsam and Jetsam. I must say that the series loses none of its impact as a reread. You are a gifted writer who has taken beloved characters and made them shine. I'll say it again: I love your style. Thank you again for the gift of your stories.
excessivelyperky chapter 5 . 11/18/2013
I am very glad that Severus is going to see a mind healer-his trauma in life began about the same time Harry's did, given the family he grew up in, and was much less relieved by friends or help of any kind. It's clear that he and Harry share the same idea about such trauma-bury it and drive a stake through it.

And yet, that doesn't work as much as people think it does. I hope Harry can see someone, too, someone he doesn't have to worry about dumping on.
excessivelyperky chapter 4 . 11/15/2013
You know, almost everything that Snape says about Harry's wounds, not having a life, taking longer than a summer to recover, is true of him, too. Except he doesn't have anyone really looking after him.

And it's sad that both he and Bill automatically assume that he'll never have a woman in his life that wants to have his children.

As for the twins being brilliant, too bad that Montague's parents don't think so. But nobody cares about him anyway, sigh.

I do love Harry and Ron trying to talk about their respective girlfriends/ sisters (Hermione a de facto sister of Harry) without trying to kill each other. It's hilarious.
excessivelyperky chapter 3 . 10/26/2013
A wonderful chapter. But both Arthur and Severus forget that Snap has been a parent to a number of his Slytherins over the years (this generally ends up being forgotten in Snape being a dad to Harry stories). I remember a hysterically funny story, whose title I cannot remember, about him having to counsel a frantic first-year girl who was not given the Talk by her parents-yes, *that* Talk, and the need for certain feminine supplies).

But Harry is actually behaving like a normal teenager now, God help us all. Neither he or Snape know what normal is, really, so they're sort of winging it.

I wonder if Snape ever found out that the twins were the ones who nearly killed Montague and left him permanently brain-damaged? Alas, what happens to Slytherins doesn't much matter here anyway.

Still, a good chapter.
excessivelyperky chapter 2 . 10/18/2013
"James. Not Dad."

And all the rest. Not really surprised that this anger is coming out, especially from George (Fred is Traveling, and probably will be till George catches up to him).

Only Molly accepts Percy. Unfortunately, it's been that way for a long time, and someday Percy will slip away again.

I'm glad that Harry wants to be a rock for Severus, though; with Snape watching over everyone, and trying to fix the school long-distance, he needs to heal, too.

Maybe Severus ought to write some names on the sand and scream at the ocean, too.
641 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »