Reviews for Not I
a-big-apple chapter 5 . 1/19/2009
Another awesome story. I'm a hardcore TenchixRyoko fan too, and as devastating as I find it to imagine Tenchi not picking her, I really loved the way this story captured that possibility.
leeyiankun chapter 5 . 1/12/2005
Darn, this is good.

Angsty but good.

I haven't read a fic this good in a while,and now I found one in a pairing that I dislike? That said alot of your talent, my friend.

I still hated how Ayeka and Tenchi behave as if everything will continue easily for them. But perhaps I'm just biased. I liked how you show Ryoko to be strong inspite of what happened though. She deserves better than Tenchi IMO.(after Tenchi in Tokyo & Tenchi Forever. I don't rate him high on my list right now. He's not bad, but those events proves that he isn't that special.)

Again, Good Writing. And please continue. -b
Oora chapter 5 . 1/21/2004
Dear Diane Long,

Please allow me to declare as politely as I may something that for the longest time I hold true. You are the QUEEN of Tenchi Fanfiction. I'll try to not let this just be ordinary praise but 'most every writer and reader in the genre knows that it can't get much higher than you. Okay so it is ordinary praise, but I tried.

I read your stories back on I believe, quite a while ago (it was either linked from there or archived) and even there your collection was stunning. For some reason I can't remember, I think "Sea's Sorrow" was one of the first of your works I read. It's been a while since that time and I no longer recall everything that fic contained. But I do remember that it was a wonderful harmony of melodrama, the supernatural, and a fan's written analysis of Daria characters that was uncanny at the depth they were drawn. Just like all your works.

And immediately after I finished that story I read the "It's My Party And I'll Cry, But Not In Front of You" arch and everything else. I'm glad to see you're still writing. It's a sad tale but many online authors that both contain and reach their potential drop out of the picture around the time of their big break. Madam, you're still breaking it.

As a fellow author I know it's damn hard to get a story out, much less one that uses already designed characters correctly, and much less to that one that has both originality and attracts the readers. And I STILL don't know how you do it. I'm a poet, persay, but I have completely drawn out one plot (though not by choice; it attacked in the middle of the night in the - ahem, bathroom) but Alternate Universe Dragonball Z. I've never done a Tenchi Fic. I did start to sketch one idea but it was ended at the time I began to hate with a firey passion all Self-Inserts and Original Character stories. Which is what it was. (Needless to say, neither are online.) Now I know this is just random mutterings from me, but I want to remember what I was to say and I type what I think, as odd as it seems, I just... gotten that way I guess.

Okay, now that is NOT something I want to say to a writer I've admired for years. Let's try to get back on track now... Tenchi and Ryoko relationships. Personally for the longest time I just considered the boy a spineless worm. Not to say you're change my mind but after watching the first two episodes of the OVA season again, I relented a bit. He may not be as bad as I orginally considered but I still don't think he's what Ryoko needs. Wants yes, needs no. She's just a child. She may have lived through all the devastation of Kagato as he went mad and power-hungry but it seems she sorta split herself. The demon Kagato controlled and the child who watched Tenchi grow and wanted to play with him. She likes him because he's so innocent, nothing like both the modern world around us and what the galaxies must have been like to her. Please excuse these opinions if they disagree with you but they're still undeveloped. I want... This show is... Watching Tenchi Muyo (and all the other series) the closer you pay attention, the more you realize about the characters. Ryoko was locked up for seven hundred long years alone in a cave so dark and cold that she developed a severe pychological disorder against the dark and cold. Washu had her child stolen from her, her small babe pulled from her arms and far far out of her reach. And then later on had her second child also pulled from her and herself imprisioned in a crystal chamber for thousands of years whilest her daughter was corrupted. Whether or not she was aware of the events while imprisioned (which I don't believe she was) it is still a remarkable fact.

Personally, Madam (I certainly hope that's right), I liked this story "Not I" the most out of all your works because it shows how Ryoko would potentially end up being after she doesn't get her dreams (which I don't see likely to happen). You didn't make her a violent maniac, you didn't draw her a senseless baby. From your hands we saw the girl that had lost everything she had hoped for and yet was still alive. Personally I would have liked to see more but I'm sure there's atleast one person to mention that to every writer. It was a wonderful piece of literature art. I have never regretted reading one line of that story.

“Three sake saucers
Two full, one empty. But no-
One sees the crack in the third.
AnimeOtaka22 chapter 4 . 4/3/2003
This is such a cute fanfic! Although i do not like Ayeka and Tenchi together nor do i ever read Ayeka and Tenchi fanfic's, i really liked this one. You did a great job on Ryoko developing into a happier person after she had been hurt so badly. Bravo!
Nellas Bean chapter 5 . 9/7/2002
o_0, I'm am sooooo sorry I didn't read this earlier, really. Sorry. Summer and school has leeched my life and I can't get on the net often, so I didn't see your chapters Later I guess. Good story, like all of yours, it held a lot of meaning.
Dark Jezter chapter 5 . 9/1/2002
Well Diane, as you know this is one of my favorite fics of yours, and judging by the number of reviews for this fic, it looks like many other people love it as well. You've become something of a celebrity in the Tenchi fan community, and whenever you publish a new story people flock to read it. If you can keep writing stories of this quality, I'm sure everyone here would be perfectly happy. _

Dark Jezter
Priest chapter 5 . 8/15/2002
It is nice that Ryoko has something to care for. I realy liked the part where she ate a frozen pizza, frozen. I got a chucle out of that. Ja-ne (_)
Jyl1 chapter 1 . 8/8/2002
Kudos! THis is great and very well written!
Halogazer chapter 5 . 8/8/2002
This was a beautiful story, but I prefer Ryoko getting Tenchi in the end. But, this was different for me. I loved it!

starfinder07 chapter 5 . 8/6/2002
That was wonderful. I laughed so much over Mihoshi and Ryoko's conversation. And the kitten was adorable.
Smack54 chapter 5 . 8/5/2002
Fabulous chapter you have here Diane, great stuff. It's nice to see Ryoko getting back to her old self again by teasing Ayeka and Tenchi. Both Mihoshi and Sasami were well utilized here as well. Ryoko's poetry was rather meaningful in this chapter and a good sign of her growth. Well done and keep 'em coming.
Space Pirate Minagi chapter 5 . 8/5/2002
I still find the basic premise of Tenchi marrying Ayeka to be implausible; it's too obvious in every series that he loves Ryoko. But despite that, this fic managed to not suck. For a Tenchi/Ayeka fic, that's quite an accomplishment.
Negative-Z chapter 5 . 8/5/2002
Funny, sweet.

There are your basic adjectives.

More importantly, know that you've achieved something significant here. In terms of Ryoko's reaction to an Aeka 'victory' there probably aren't many others like it. I can tell you put a good deal of effort and emotion into making this moving without being too melodramatic.

Keep it up.
alighthawk chapter 5 . 8/4/2002
I'm kinda heart broken that this little tale has come to an end, but as always I enjoyed it very much.

KNowing that she has come to the conclusion that she can be all right by herself was reassuring.

Now a sequel to this would be nice although not necessary. I'm pretty sure that writing this story, knowing how

you feel about Ryoko must have been tough, so I slaute you for your efforts.

btw: saw your name posted for the Kiyo, are you planning to bring the broom for the sweep?
AtomicShrew chapter 5 . 8/4/2002
Nicely done. It's nice to see Ryoko having a life of her own for a change. Keep up the good work.