Reviews for Carry You
jublke chapter 1 . 11/8/2014
Great piece. I could picture this as an episode.
BerserkerHellHound chapter 1 . 6/26/2014
So I only just recently got into MASH, I think it's going on about a month now... And boy did I hit the ground running. Anyways, I absolutely loved this fic! It was great! You could feel that Hawkeye was hurt but you managed to avoid directly announcing it and leaving us in suspense; you depicted BJ and Hawkeyes relationship really well and everyone's reaction to the state they were in when they made it back to the 4077 exactly as I would imagine it. So anyways, like I said, I loved it :)
Madam'zelleGiry chapter 1 . 2/17/2014
Hey there! Just a brief disclaimer that I'm going into this one mostly fandom blind. I've never seen the show, but I do know the basic premise. :)

This is a really enjoyable piece. I love your tone, the way that you handle characterization, the way that this is paced. When you consider the war zone that this is set in, the subject matter just comes alive, and it's something that I could imagine in any war-torn story, MASH or not. There's a real, raw power that comes behind this, and it lets you really get a feel for these people and the situation that they've found themselves in. I'm such a sucker for hurt/comfort of any description, and this delivers just the right amount of angst and the strong bond between surgeon and patient. The way that you kept up suspense throughout the entire piece really works so well, and it gives your ending an incredible punch right to the gut because I really found myself wondering if survival was really going to happen or not. I appreciate that you kept us in the dark for so long, because it gives us reason to continue, but that also gives it an element of realism that is absolutely terrifying and fitting for the fandom.

I have to say that after reading this, I'm inspired to go and watch this show. So thank you very much for sharing, and this was a wonderful fic. Well done!

Cheers, dearie!
Guest chapter 1 . 2/17/2014
Wow, this was a really awesome story! Love the way that you write Hawkeye! Thanks for this!
Ersatz Einstein chapter 1 . 2/16/2014
There weren't any glaring grammatical errors, and the piece worked well from beginning to end. I genuinely wasn't sure whether or not he would survive, so kudos. The dialogue was very I.C., and putting it from B.J.'s perspective was an interesting choice.
bkwrmnlvnit chapter 1 . 2/15/2014
Oh God. That's a relief. Thought for a moment that I was going to have to arrest you for the murder of my feels...But they're alright now. :)

This story was absolutely amazing. I've read a LOT of M*A*S*H FanFictions, and this one is still one of my favorites, though I only realized today that, despite finding it last year and loving it, I never favorited or reviewed. This is me amending that.

Before I go into total fangirl mode, I want to point out some general things that I noticed that I really liked about this piece. First thing is the writing style - I really love how you started telling it from B.J.'s point of view in a way, but you subtly included bits of Hawkeye's thought trains, so that way it didn't seem like this whole story was ONLY from Beej's POV. The omniscient but not omniscient view point really allowed me to get into the story from both character's heads like I don't get to do a lot.

I also really appreciate the quality with which this was written. In it, you captured all the struggles of war and being injured, and the day to day fear that everybody in the 4077th had to deal with, and the worries of loss so PERFECTLY, and you never once got overly dramatic. To be able to say that when dealing with subject matter this heavy is a HUGE accomplishment in my book, so I'd just like to throw several thousand kudos your way.

The way you break the story down is also done well - the breaks seem like they're in very natural places, rather than seeming forced. All 'timeskip'-esque moments are also handled very well, and I love the use of little details in this story. It really adds to the piece in a lot of ways, and I appreciate that.

But, now that I think I'm done with general commentary, on to me fangirling over the amazing moments in this piece... You may want to sit down, because this will take a while. :)

First off, the beginning was amazing. I love your description of Hawkeye and Beej, how they're both just being friends and trying to forget that they're in a war, singing off tune and being their typical, insane, non-sober selves. It's just so fitting for the two of them, and I can't think of a better way to lead into a story focusing on what this one focused on than what you wrote.

I love the way that you go from this peaceful driving into the meeting with the other army dudes, and then go from taking the back route instantly into Hawkeye trying to wake B.J. up. It just slams in this whole 'it happened so fast' thing that really pulls me in, and I adore it. And the way that Hawkeye is trying to get B.J. to wake up, and still making jokes (even through all the pain he had to be in) is just amazingly in character and beautiful and I love it so much.

When Beej wakes up in the evening, I loved it so much. The fact that they're both in such pain, and they're still cracking jokes with each other. When Hawkeye's sitting there coughing and in so much agony but ignoring it anyways to keep his friend warm, and then tells him a story to make him go back to sleep...My feels. Please. And the fact that B.J. was thinking of home so much when he's so far away from it...DX

Oh God...The scene when Hawkeye and B.J. are eating, and Hawk's still making cracks about his world famous swamp water to keep up his friend's morale though both of them know that they're still a long ways from the 4077th is just so perfect. I can hear them speaking in my mind, and I love it. Not to mention that Hawk makes something up about the blood on his back so Beej won't worry...

The fact that it's not until this last half, when they're about to arrive back home, that Hawkeye finally allows himself to feel the exhaustion of his injuries is amazing. It's so fitting that he'd keep walking until his legs finally gave out, in a sort of, "it's finally over thing," that he'd finally let himself collapse under the stress when he knew B.J. would be safe. It's heartbreaking, and then Beej's fear when he finally pieces together just how bad a shape Hawk's in...D'X

You describe the actual event incredibly well here, I have to say.

Oh God...When Beej wakes up and Potter's there and he's alright but he finds out about Hawk, it is just SOUL SHATTERING. Then he looks over at his friend, and the contrast of his usual sleeping with how he looks now, combined with the thoughts of how many people Beej has seen die from these kinds of injuries...That's alright, I didn't need my heart anyway.

The letter he writes to Hawk's dad, the way that he refuses to move back to the Swamp without Hawk... It's amazing. And in character. And I love it.

The way you write him waking up as well is beautiful. You don't make it too narmy, and just the way they're joking and his habit of describing the food smell isn't annoying B.J. this once is so perfect. The reactions of the whole camp to this awakening were awesome and equally beautiful.

And the ending...The ending just can't be described as perfect enough. It sums up everything and the start of life returning to normal.

Beautiful, Revhead. The plot, the characterization, everything about this piece is perfect. Thank you SO MUCH for posting and BRAVO! KEEP UP THE AMAZING WORK!

Bookworm
truthsetfree chapter 1 . 2/15/2014
The pacing of this was amazing.
Great sense of suspense.
Dialogue between Hunnicutt and Hawkeye was awesome.
Everybody was in character.
This entire thing read like an episode of MASH.
Great job.

Nitpicking:
The only thing that ever gave me a moment of pause while reading this was the part where Hawkeye says "it's a damn cold night." It is a normal enough turn of phrase, but I ended up hearing Avril Lavign there. It pretty much had the same effect as when someone says "who ya gonna call?"
BloodLily16 chapter 1 . 2/15/2014
Ha ha ha! Oh, Hawkeye!
servant123 chapter 1 . 1/26/2014
Very, very nice job :)
Brown hair and eyes chapter 1 . 5/18/2013
Wow. Amazing fic.
Irene34 chapter 1 . 5/9/2013
Exactly how I see him through all the series. Thanks for capturing his essence.
Lythande1972 chapter 1 . 4/14/2013
I think this is one of the best h/c stories out there. I love how well you re-create the character's voices, and how beautifully you create Hawkeye's self-sacrifice and both of their love for one another. It's just DELICIOUS and I hope you're proud of it.

The only awkward moment that I think you might like to know about is when they return to camp, the line about "the femoral artery" seems out of place. I'm not a doctor, but I suspect that if Hawkeye was covered in dirt no one at that point would be able to suspect what had happened; also, I suspect that if a bullet DID "nick the femoral artery" in such a way as to cause him to start bleeding out on the tarmac outside the OR, that he might easily be dead before they could stop the bleeding.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but this part reads awkwardly because YOU could be wrong, and it makes the reader lose connection with an otherwise excellent piece. I suggest you make that part more general so that no one wonders, "would that really happen? Did the author research that medical situation or just make it up?"

Otherwise, it's just a joy. I have re-read it many times. Thank you!
SilverNightfall chapter 1 . 4/5/2013
LOOOVVVEE IT!
Jenna chapter 1 . 1/23/2013
Gahhj! You made me cry D: I loved it!
kapelka chapter 1 . 10/19/2012
Hey! Haven't vivited this fandom for a while... and now I'm glad I finally did it! How could I have missed your story?! It's amazing! I loved everything, especially the dialogues. The characters are perfect! Thank's a lot! Again, sorry that I've just discovered it) But, better late than never)